• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Older episodes to watch recommendations

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Since possibly due to complications with the number of staff at OLM studios, and maybe some other issues there are going on at the moment, we are rather progressing slowly with the current series. And I believe, having achieved 1000+ episodes within the series as a whole, maybe this is about time we can take our time to watch some older episodes that are enjoyable.

In this thread, we can bring up older episodes that we like a lot or we believe that are worthy watching again, and discuss further on them.

• Anything with Team Rocket backstory.
  • Character returns are always a joy even if a few of them are flawed. Special shout outs to Season 7 Misty and Season 20 Misty and Brock.
  • Who Gets to Keep Togepi?, a super fun tournament with great Meowth characterization.
  • Snack Attack, a comedy classic as long as you don't think how much food was lost.
  • Johto Gym Battles: Very underrated, and easy to watch, they don't have as much Team Rocket or bad animation as you remember.
  • Wired for Battle, also known as the DP pilot.
  • Houndoom's Special Delivery, one of the few times Togepi has a character.
  • UnBEARable, Teddiursa is cute....and evil...
  • Whirl Islands Arc: A really needed breather in mid Johto, with decent fillers and cool and underrated mini-arcs.
  • An EGG-sighting Adventure!: A classical whodunnit with very funny twists.
  • Just Waiting On a Friend: A peak in terms of sentimental fillers with great Brock moments.
  • Address Unown!: Larvitar backstory...with letters and fantastic backgrounds!
  • ZigZag Zangoose!: Has Nicholai, a very underrated character and fun strategies.
  • The Garden of Eatin': Fun plot with cool twists.
  • Brandon Arc & Terracota Contest: Great arc with nice character development, a decent battle and a not rushed series finale.

My favorite seasons are DP and XY but OS has some fun mini arcs and emotional episodes.

Random list of episodes from each region about different emotions:

DP053 - Good mix of emotion and character development. Sets up the rival as a tough antagonist for Ash and Chimchar to overcome. Discusses some serious topics too such as toxic relationship and perhaps people pleasing (Chimchar feels guilty even though he was the one who got abused).

XY121 - A rare emotional Ash episode. Interesting to see since we have always had a dramatic crying scene involving the female protagonists since May but this felt like the first time Ash got a similar scene. My only critique was that Ash's friends don't do much to support him and he mostly overcomes the problem on his own. (The preview of the episode is also very good since it has atmosphere which is also rare)

EP021 - A classic emotional episode about letting go of somebody you love and raised. Not the best love story (why do we always have to prove everything to be good enough?) but Ash clearly grew up a bit and experienced real sadness for the first time.

EP129 - An episode about relatable struggles as an adult. There is something depressing about Jessie trying to get a job and becoming a respectable member of society but being given impossible tasks. Then there is Jessie's backstory from the CD drama (although not mentioned in the episode) and her wholesome relationship with Blissey added to the mix.

AG157 - A cute time traveling episode with a sad story but a happy ending. Odd but interesting combination of May and Meowth saving the day together.

SM108 - An episode about valuing your loved ones because you never know when they will be gone.

BW101 - An episode about being different and not fitting in. Iris stops eating after school bullying which implies some pretty sad stuff when rewatching as an adult. (Also note the Native American coding)

JN083 - An episode about coping with grief and letting go. I like how there is no miracle solution to the problem here unlike Movie 3. Random Cynthia cameo is random though lol. Maybe her backstory should have happened in this episode instead and connected to the theme somehow (or use Alder instead since he can actually relate to losing a Pokemon).

An arc from each series is what I recommend:

Kanto: Sabrina arc OS22-24
Orange Islands: Up to the final gym arc OS104/105-108
Johto: Larvitar arc OS258-264

AG: Dewford Island AG20-31(can skip some like AG26) and Sceptile arc AG161-164 ( Brandon arc or the ending/beginning episodes of each region or the Chronicles The Legend of Thunder episodes if you want)

DP: Hearthome Tag Tournament DP50-53(+49) or Wallace Cup DP75-79

BW: First Club tournament BW39-42 or the Underground Subway episodes BW47-48 (+51 for a battle)

XY: Beginning episodes XY1&2 or Snowbelle city arc XY118 -122 (Mega Evolution specials if those count)

SM: UltraSpace Lusamine arc SM49-SM54 or the Ula’Ula Island arc is fun SM73-SM77

JN: Sword and Shield/Darkest Day arc JN42-JN45 or Concluding Alola arc JN111&112, plus Arceus Chronicles if those count

I was trying to stay away from the obvious league battles, gym battles, & villain arcs

And I think in particular OS, AG, and JN suffer from not doing arcs as they have a lot of good solo or 2 part episodes, and/or the episodes that could be an arc get interrupted by filler or other stuff

As it's weird for me to look back on but Ash vs Surge was one episode where nowadays I think that would have been at least 2 episodes
Similar cases in AG and JN

Last edited:
I'd like to add:

DP highlights:
  • Ash and Paul's first full battle followed by their league battle.
  • Sinnoh Grand Festival and Wallace Cup
  • Where No Togepi Has Gone Before for a hilarious filler episode.

Emotionals:
  • Most TR episodes where they release pokemon.
  • Stoutland's departure, Litten joining Ash
  • Mallow in Tapu Fini's mist.

Other:
  • Unova Don Battle
  • The Team Rocket special episode where they form
  • OS, AG, DP, XY finales

Best episodes of SM. Wish every SM episode had a serious tone like those ones.
I think the contrast between these episodes and the rest of..... Well, pretty much the whole series is what makes them stand out so much. If the status quo was this dark then the episodes wouldn't be remarkable.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom