• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (Gen III remakes) ANNOUNCED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Generation III Remake Discussion

If its not announced by the end of May, we won't be getting another game this year. If you look at the past few games they've been announced late May and released a few months later.
Not necessarily. I reckon a game will be announced around the time Diancie and The Cocoon of Destruction is released in Japan. It'll ride on the marketing wave the film will produce.
I absolutely expect a game this year. With XY's insane popularity, they'd be crazy not to release one.

Probably not. BW2, HGSS, and Platinum have all been announced in the month of May and out less than 6 months later. If there's nothing by the end of this month we'll likely have to wait until next year.

If its not announced by the end of May, we won't be getting another game this year. If you look at the past few games they've been announced late May and released a few months later.
Not necessarily. I reckon a game will be announced around the time Diancie and The Cocoon of Destruction is released in Japan. It'll ride on the marketing wave the film will produce.
I absolutely expect a game this year. With XY's insane popularity, they'd be crazy not to release one.

Probably not. BW2, HGSS, and Platinum have all been announced in the month of May and out less than 6 months later. If there's nothing by the end of this month we'll likely have to wait until next year.
HGSS were released 10 years after the original games according to the Japanese release date, and 2014 is 10 years since Gen III started in Japan. Also bear in mind that HGSS were announced in late June and were released in September!

You could be right, though.

HGSS were released 10 years after the original games according to the Japanese release date, and 2014 is 10 years since Gen III started in Japan. Also bear in mind that HGSS were announced in late June and were released in September!

You could be right, though.

Just a small observation: From 2008-2010, we got Platinum, HGSS, and BW. Then, a 1-year waiting period. From 2012-2013, we got BW2 and XY. By this pattern, we should expect 1 more game, followed by a 1-year waiting period for the next generation.

Last edited:

Speaking of HGSS, I was somewhat disappoint by the lack of location-based evolutions (okay, mostly just Leafeon/Glaceon). They could have easily taken the BW2 route and added Mossy Rocks to Viridian Forest, Ice Rocks somewhere down Seafoam Islands (or up a Rock Climb path hidden in the Ice Path - 16 badges are required to get Rock Climb HM after all), and ... something for the Kanto Power Plant area.

I would say that they didn't do this because Eevee and Magneton were able to be taken to those locations in previous games which would upset the continuity Gamefreak is trying to keep together.

Problem is, I see the introduction of Johto Pokemon into the Kanto Region in GSC a retcon. And the remakes already retconned Dark/Steel types for the Kanto remakes anyway. So I find that, Pokedex wise, there's very little reason to not do further retcons, because there's some major retcons already. I didn't really see a valid reason why cross-gen evolutions between Gen 1 and Gen 2/3 Pokemon should not be retconned into the Kanto Pokedex (pre-National Dex) for FRLG. Similarly, I don't see why the Hoenn Dex shouldn't have (Gen 1/2/3-4/6) cross-gen evolutions added in the Hoenn remakes (pre-National Dex) either.

Also, if I remember correctly, Piloswine could learn Ancient Power both in Gen 3 and Gen 4, and the latter gen allowed evolution into Mamoswine. So that's another retcon.

Last edited:

Yeah, same deal with Lickilicky and Rollout according to Bulbapedia. They do seem unusually stubborn about this sort of thing considering that little problem though, still sticking with Incense after all these years. It's time to let it go.

If they pull that crap again from FireRed/Leafgreen with the evolution restriction in such pokemon as Golbat only evolving into Crobat after getting the National Dex i'm gonna be pissed.

If they pull that crap again from FireRed/Leafgreen with the evolution restriction in such pokemon as Golbat only evolving into Crobat after getting the National Dex i'm gonna be pissed.

Yeah, restricting content, if done right, can be rewarding. However, that wasn't.

Speaking of HGSS, I was somewhat disappoint by the lack of location-based evolutions (okay, mostly just Leafeon/Glaceon). They could have easily taken the BW2 route and added Mossy Rocks to Viridian Forest, Ice Rocks somewhere down Seafoam Islands (or up a Rock Climb path hidden in the Ice Path - 16 badges are required to get Rock Climb HM after all), and ... something for the Kanto Power Plant area.

I would say that they didn't do this because Eevee and Magneton were able to be taken to those locations in previous games which would upset the continuity Gamefreak is trying to keep together.

Problem is, I see the introduction of Johto Pokemon into the Kanto Region in GSC a retcon. And the remakes already retconned Dark/Steel types for the Kanto remakes anyway. So I find that, Pokedex wise, there's very little reason to not do further retcons, because there's some major retcons already. I didn't really see a valid reason why cross-gen evolutions between Gen 1 and Gen 2/3 Pokemon should not be retconned into the Kanto Pokedex (pre-National Dex) for FRLG. Similarly, I don't see why the Hoenn Dex shouldn't have (Gen 1/2/3-4/6) cross-gen evolutions added in the Hoenn remakes (pre-National Dex) either.

Also, if I remember correctly, Piloswine could learn Ancient Power both in Gen 3 and Gen 4, and the latter gen allowed evolution into Mamoswine. So that's another retcon.

If you recall, the Kanto Dex in RBGY only consisted of the original 151. iirc only 4 or 5 Pokemon would've been added. Its likely that GF didn't want to stray too far from the original Kanto Dex. When it came to the Johto Dex, the Pokemon were already jumbled so it wasn't a problem adding another 10 Pokemon to the Dex, especially considering you couldn't get a large majority of them until post-national Dex.

Problem is, I see the introduction of Johto Pokemon into the Kanto Region in GSC a retcon.

That one's not a retcon. Remember that 3 years passed between RBY and GSC. Stuff happened man. Stuff changed man.

If you recall, the Kanto Dex in RBGY only consisted of the original 151. iirc only 4 or 5 Pokemon would've been added. Its likely that GF didn't want to stray too far from the original Kanto Dex. When it came to the Johto Dex, the Pokemon were already jumbled so it wasn't a problem adding another 10 Pokemon to the Dex, especially considering you couldn't get a large majority of them until post-national Dex.

So it makes sense to retcon 5 Pokemon into HGSS, but not into FRLG? Sure. And as far as changing the Kanto Dex is concerned, they could just do what Platinum did and tack them onto the end.

I have a feeling that they restricted cross gen evolutions in FRLG because of the technology, because if you notice, 3rd gen strictly prevents you from trading nonnative Pokemon into the game before obtaining the National Dex. But in future generations, you could and it would simply not be numbered. So maybe it's because there was something about the way the GBA was designed that restricted them, and when they upgraded to the DS this was no longer an issue. What kind of restriction that could be, though, I have no idea.

I have a feeling that they restricted cross gen evolutions in FRLG because of the technology, because if you notice, 3rd gen strictly prevents you from trading nonnative Pokemon into the game before obtaining the National Dex. But in future generations, you could and it would simply not be numbered. So maybe it's because there was something about the way the GBA was designed that restricted them, and when they upgraded to the DS this was no longer an issue. What kind of restriction that could be, though, I have no idea.
There was obviously no technological restriction; Colosseum Pokémon could be traded to Ruby and Sapphire without the National Pokédex.

So it makes sense to retcon 5 Pokemon into HGSS, but not into FRLG? Sure. And as far as changing the Kanto Dex is concerned, they could just do what Platinum did and tack them onto the end.

The original 151 is the most that "fans" of Pokemon know. They don't know anything about anything afterwards. GF wanted the games to release to the general public. Like I said, there's no room in the original 151 for 5 new Pokemon, but there is room in the Johto Dex for 10 new Pokemon.

There was obviously no technological restriction; Colosseum Pokémon could be traded to Ruby and Sapphire without the National Pokédex.

Forgot about RS. Restricting nonnative Pokemon makes absolutely no sense in that case.

The original 151 is the most that "fans" of Pokemon know. They don't know anything about anything afterwards. GF wanted the games to release to the general public. Like I said, there's no room in the original 151 for 5 new Pokemon, but there is room in the Johto Dex for 10 new Pokemon.

Actually, there's a sizeable portion of the older fans that know the 2nd gen Pokemon. It wasn't until 3rd gen that the fad died down. So it doesn't make sense to do it for one and not the other.

And for the love of God, the Johto Dex added 5, not 10. There were 251 originally, and then they added Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Mamoswine, and Ambipom to round it out to 256.

One thing I'm worried about for any remakes, and this stretches back to HG/SS, is how the newer Pokemon will be placed.

Thankfully, Kalos covers a lot of it ^^

One thing I'm worried about for any remakes, and this stretches back to HG/SS, is how the newer Pokemon will be placed.

Thankfully, Kalos covers a lot of it ^^

Yep, there's not many Pokemon left to distribute in 6th gen. This is what we have left:

Rattata/Raticate
Meowth/Persian
Koffing/Weezing
Porygon/Porygon2/Porygon-Z
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion
Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr
Misdreavus/Mismagius
Unown
Stantler
Raikou/Entei/Suicune
Lugia/Ho-oh
Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken
Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert
Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking
Baltoy/Claydol
Feebas/Milotic
Castform
Regirock/Regice/Registeel
Latias/Latios
Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza
Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra
Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape
Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon
Kricketot/Kricketune
Cherubi/Cherrim
Buneary/Lopunny
Glameow/Purugly
Finneon/Lumineon
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
Heatran
Regigigas
Cresselia
Snivy/Servine/Serperior
Tepig/Pignite/Emboar
Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott
Cottonee/Whimsicott
Darumaka/Darmanitan
Yamask/Cofagrigus
Frillish/Jellicent
Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross
Elgyem/Beheeyem
Bouffalant
Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion
Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus
Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem

Of these, Koffing and the 3rd gen Pokemon are already in the Hoenn Dex, and Meowth, the 2nd gen starters, Stantler, and Lugia/Ho-oh are also obtainable in Emerald, either through post game, or in Lugia/Ho-oh's case, an event that I think they will open up in the main game. Which leaves Rattata, Porygon, Misdreavus, Unown, and the remaining 4th and 5th gen Pokemon, and they have plenty of space to fit many of these in. There's only 2-3 existing Swarm Pokemon in the game, so several of these could be obtainable that way, and Hoenn lacks a proper post game area, so I can see them fitting Pokemon there as well. They probably will not including all of the missing Pokemon, but a significant amount of them probably will be. The starters and legendaries are trickier, because so many of them are unobtainable and it'd be difficult to distribute them into two more games (the other game most likely being XY2). I think it'll go like this:

RS remakes:
4th gen starters
Regigigas
Heatran
Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion
Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus

XY2:
5th gen starters
Raikou/Entei/Suicune
Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
Cresselia
Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem

Last edited:

In a Kanto remake or revisit I absolutely want a reference to Twitch Plays Pokemon. All I want is like an NPC at the Pewter City museum or Cinnabar lab mentioning that some Poke Maniacs worship the Helix Fossil (come on, Poke Maniacs totally would). Just something along the lines of that. I'm sure Game Freak knows about TPP. Anyone else want them to mention it?

In a Kanto remake or revisit I absolutely want a reference to Twitch Plays Pokemon. All I want is like an NPC at the Pewter City museum or Cinnabar lab mentioning that some Poke Maniacs worship the Helix Fossil (come on, Poke Maniacs totally would). Just something along the lines of that. I'm sure Game Freak knows about TPP. Anyone else want them to mention it?

while that'd be cool we're not talking about kanto remakes in this discussion we're talking about hoenn remakes. And i would hope we revisit hoenn first before we revisit kanto for the fifth time.

in hoenn remakes i would love for someone to reference the hoenn confirmed joke maybe as a little tidbit when you complete the pokedex and talk to masuda

"Congrats you've caught em all now let me tell you a secret... hoenn confirmed"

while that'd be cool we're not talking about kanto remakes in this discussion we're talking about hoenn remakes. And i would hope we revisit hoenn first before we revisit kanto for the fifth time.

in hoenn remakes i would love for someone to reference the hoenn confirmed joke maybe as a little tidbit when you complete the pokedex and talk to masuda

Kanto was Gen III too. FireRed and LeafGreen were by no means brilliant games but they did happen. This isn't just a Hoenn remake thread. There were two other regions in Gen III, Kanto and Orre. Speaking of which I really want some acknowledgment of. I don't know why Game Freak won't acknowledge that region.

Last edited:

Kanto was Gen III too. FireRed and LeafGreen were by no means brilliant games but they did happen. This isn't just a Hoenn remake thread. There were two other regions in Gen III, Kanto and Orre. Speaking of which I really want some acknowledgment of. I don't know why Game Freak won't acknowledge that region.

Arguably, Orre is a side-game.
We don't need remakes of remakes at the moment. FRLG are REMAKES of Gen1 - it's a little hard to imagine remakes of remakes happening in the near future. Besides, it appeared in HGSS anyways. Hoenn, on the other hand, was never featured anywhere outside of RSE, and it doesn't have a remake; which makes it the most likely atm.

And GF appreciated Gen1 so much they made Kanto starters available in Gen6 and even giving them Mega Evos. Too much Kanto.

Helix Fossil could be given in Hoenn remake too, by Fossil Maniac on Route 114, who would say that he’s currently looking for holy siblings of Helix, which are Claw and Root Fossils.

In remake, I would like new message in Sealed Chamber saying that when all four Regis are brought here, ancient prophecy will be revealed. This prophecy will say HOENN CONFIRMED, written in Braille.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom