• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Bronzor and Bronzong: Investigating the inspirations behind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On the Origin of Species: Bronzor and Bronzong: Investigating the inspirations be

This clears up some thoughts I had about these Pokemon. I knew Bronzong was a bell of some sort, but I thought Bronzor was based of the mirror that females use to apply makeup XD. I never thought Bronzor was based off of a similar tale that Bronzong had.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Bronzor and Bronzong: Investigating the inspirations be

A good article, as always. I had always thought Bronzor was a coin, and it's evolutionary family was based on that coin, prayer, ring the bell thing the Japanese do. But now that I know about it, I do like the way that if Bronzor/ong has Heatproof, it takes super-effective damage from Ground (which is pretty close to "swamp") moves. It makes me think that the only reason Bronzor/ong are Steel/Psychic instead of just Steel is so the developers could pull that off.

I really like this one! That's such a cool legend! I completely explains why the two are together, and what they represent. I wonder what he'll do next. Maybe the Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir line?

I always wondered about the two. I told my mom this story and she thought I made it up xD

Actually, the species articles do link to these columns. The links are in the Origin section.
It's been awhile since I checked and I hadn't noticed them last time. That's good though.

As always, I enjoy reading The Origin of Species and this is so far my favourite. I knew about what the Bronzor and Bronzong was based on a mirror and a bell, but I would have never thought about the connection to the legend mentioned in this article.

Hm.... I never thought of it that way... You gotta love mythology...

I just registered to say that I really love these columns, keep going. I'd love to have a book of these.

:cheers:

More Japanese legends, yay. :)

But seriously, I never would have thought that the origins for some Pokemon would have run so deep.

Wow. As usual, that was really interesting. I might have to get a figure of Bronzong and melt it, then shout for my reward.

Does anyone know if there is a thread to suggest Pokémon for "On the Origin of Species" cause there a lot of Pokémon I want to know about the inspitation behind them.

I'd definitely welcome suggestions for future columns! I can't promise that I'll be able to follow up on them, though: there are some Pokemon who I still need to research more, some that don't appear to be based on anything concrete enough to write about, and others that, for whatever reason, just wouldn't make for interesting articles.

But yeah, feel free to suggest away, either here or on my profile.

How about the Eevee, Ninetail and Alakazam which all seem to have ties to the Oriental Folklore on Foxes.

What about Misdreavus or Mismagius? Shiftry has to be based on some old legend!!!

I'd definitely welcome suggestions for future columns! I can't promise that I'll be able to follow up on them, though: there are some Pokemon who I still need to research more, some that don't appear to be based on anything concrete enough to write about, and others that, for whatever reason, just wouldn't make for interesting articles.

But yeah, feel free to suggest away, either here or on my profile.

Ya know, I'd actually like to see an article investigating the origins of Pikachu.
I know "Origin" articles tend to only investigate lesser known Pokemon because their origins are usually subtle and hard to find. But Pikachu is well known, but odd when you think about it; an electric mouse? Is that a thing in Japan??

What about Lileep and Cradily? Their inspiration is a polyp as many people already know, but a good percent of people don't. Besides, it's tentacles on a stick! But what's with it's body? Can it not use it's legs at all?

This was a brilliant one. Probably my favourite, next to Mawile. I hope there is a Lileep/ Cradily one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom