• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

On the Origin of Species: Castform: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Castform: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In the second of a new series of columns exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Weather Pokémon, Castform.

Read more on Bulbanews

Former Staff Artist
Reaction score
Another interesting article. Castforms are more interesting now.

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
You learn something new everyday. And here I thought it was Casper with boobs.

It's an interesting tradition and I love how Game Freak managed to adapt that into the games.

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score
I still find it silly how people think that newer "abstract" designs are stupid when earlier Pokémon include ones like Ditto and Voltorb.

But anyway, Castform is one of the stranger ideas introduced, few people use it in battle seriously but it's gimmick leaves it open to at least be toyed with by most people. It is a fun Pokémon to use admittedly.

Johto!
Reaction score
These are really interesting. I hope this is a trend that continues on in the future. I for one enjoy reading them alot.

I've never used castform in battle before, but I must admit he is kinda cute.

Hunting for Rare Candies
Reaction score
I never noticed that before, though I like how those fine details that are never noticed.

Insanity is the one truth
Reaction score
Im definatly hanging one of those things on my door. They're hot

Elite Bulbapedian
Reaction score
I love these Origin of Species editorials, but I expected a mention of a pinecone on this one (sure it's not the main source of the design, but it could be one).

Reaction score
That was an interesting article. I wonder does it really work. I would love it to rain around here.

Keep Moving Forward
Reaction score
Very interesting and well written article!

I looked a bit more up and it looks like the Teru Teru Bozu are also decorated by some. They look oddly familiar as I think I may have seen it before.

Castform also is great because of its unique ability and is great fun to play around with. I think they should have kept Weather Ball which is its signature move just for Castform though, but I guess they decided otherwise.

Stealin' cars.
Reaction score
I love these Origin of Species editorials, but I expected a mention of a pinecone on this one (sure it's not the main source of the design, but it could be one).
When they do a column on Pineco then they will.

Also, aren't those the inspiration for Shuppet too?

Onduru ruragittan disukaa
Reaction score
When they do a column on Pineco then they will.

Also, aren't those the inspiration for Shuppet too?
Yeah. It's even in its Japanese name...Kagebouzu.

Kind of weird they have two teruteru bozu in one Gen, even if they are different. Never really thought of Castform as one before this though.

A magical girl, transforming very slowly
Reaction score
Shuppet's a really interesting case, because its appearance and name suggest a connection to the teru teru bozu, but thematically they don't seem to have anything in common. I suspect Shuppet's supposed to be a teru teru bozu that's become a tsukurugami (much as Banette has) but this is one case that's going to require some further research.

total eclipse of the heart
Reaction score
Hah, this is interesting! Good to show it to those who like to claim Gen III-IV Pokemon are "uninspiring" or "out of ideas" or other stupid claims like that.

From Leyend to Myth
Reaction score
Shuppet seems to be the same doll... but mixed with the myth of a cursed doll.

Anyway I love this series, and I wish I could contribute to it, but most of the stuff I could is on the more obvious side...

Reaction score
I remember reading this tidbit of trivia awhile back on the 'pedia, nice to see it publicized so poor Castform is known as more than just That Busty Ghost Thingy. I've enjoyed these articles so far, and it's nifty to see one about the Japanese mythology behind some Pokemon.