• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

On the Origin of Species: Castform: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Elite Bulbapedian
Reaction score
When they do a column on Pineco then they will.
I meant more on how a pinecone opens and closes depending on the weather (regarding to Castform's ability to change depending on the weather, not to the ability to change the weather). But it will probably be mentioned on Pineco's one (if there is one).

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
So Shuppet is just a cursed rain doll. Interesting way to tie them together.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Interesting article...I never knew Castform was based on an old tradition.

Reaction score
Wow, what an interesting read ^.^

Those dolls look so amazing, it's absolutely pissing it down here so methinks I'll make one and see if the rain'll stop before heading out ^.^

I find it odd how many connections I've been finding lately between Pokémon, really odd things like Castform and Shuppet that, dare I say, may even have some kind of unexplored relationship? Hearing about their similarities between the pair, all I can hear in my head is - "episode waiting to happen much?"

Anyhums, no, I always thought Castform was just a weather ball on a cloud, with the weather ball changing with the weather (just like the move), so it's great to see where it really comes from ^.^

Tarar *mwah*

Smiling Ampharos
Reaction score
Ryuutakesh! said:
And here I thought it was Casper with boobs.
My fiance and I thought it was something other that boobs XD

These articles are fantastic. I've never known about the teru teru bozu and find the article incredible interesting. I'e used Castform before, didn't like it much, but it's also unusual to find something else like Shuppet based of a similar idea. I hope he does more, or at least one for every Pokémom. I know it's alot but I'm sure if he asked we'd all help. ^_^

Just a few other comments:

Fairy Red said:
Hah, this is interesting! Good to show it to those who like to claim Gen III-IV Pokemon are "uninspiring" or "out of ideas" or other stupid claims like that.
Amen!

Snorlax Monster said:
I meant more on how a pinecone opens and closes depending on the weather (regarding to Castform's ability to change depending on the weather, not to the ability to change the weather). But it will probably be mentioned on Pineco's one (if there is one).
They could probably do something similar with Cherrim, both would be really fascinating ^_^

Photo ALL of the Pokemon
Reaction score
Dawwwwww, I love Castform, it's nice to see it get some love.

i wANNA BE A HETALIA TOO
Reaction score
Teruteru bouzu always make me hungry. They look like ghost lollipops. :9

Something
Reaction score
Fun and interesting read. I look forward to the next one :D

Be afraid. Be very afraid
Reaction score
Stuff like this just fascinates me, and here I was thinking that it's idea was simply drawn from a cloud.

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
I think I'll start hanging a teruteru bozu from my window on occasion from now on. LOL

And the case of Shuppet seems interesting. Maybe it was a bozu that had its head cut off? Just guessing.

Last edited:
Irrationally Logical
Reaction score
AAh finally non-fanwank articles.Im so diggin this,so diggin it.And I didnt knew that castform was more than a weather ball,either haha.

Now,in this part of the post I was going to link a funny 4koma of Churuya-san about those dolls,but I cant seem to find it anymore...boo

Anyway,keep it up with this articles!!!

Keep Moving Forward
Reaction score
And the case of Shuppet seems interesting. Maybe it was a bozu that had its head cut off? Just guessing.
Yes, that is a likely theory that it is a Teru Teru Bozu that has come back to haunt those that has cut its head off. It would make an interesting story and could possibly tie the Castform and Shuppet together in some way or another.