• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Castform: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Castform: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In the second of a new series of columns exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Weather Pokémon, Castform.

Read more on Bulbanews

You learn something new everyday. And here I thought it was Casper with boobs.

It's an interesting tradition and I love how Game Freak managed to adapt that into the games.

I still find it silly how people think that newer "abstract" designs are stupid when earlier Pokémon include ones like Ditto and Voltorb.

But anyway, Castform is one of the stranger ideas introduced, few people use it in battle seriously but it's gimmick leaves it open to at least be toyed with by most people. It is a fun Pokémon to use admittedly.

These are really interesting. I hope this is a trend that continues on in the future. I for one enjoy reading them alot.

I've never used castform in battle before, but I must admit he is kinda cute.

I never noticed that before, though I like how those fine details that are never noticed.

Im definatly hanging one of those things on my door. They're hot

That was an interesting article. I wonder does it really work. I would love it to rain around here.

Very interesting and well written article!

I looked a bit more up and it looks like the Teru Teru Bozu are also decorated by some. They look oddly familiar as I think I may have seen it before.

Castform also is great because of its unique ability and is great fun to play around with. I think they should have kept Weather Ball which is its signature move just for Castform though, but I guess they decided otherwise.

I love these Origin of Species editorials, but I expected a mention of a pinecone on this one (sure it's not the main source of the design, but it could be one).

When they do a column on Pineco then they will.

Also, aren't those the inspiration for Shuppet too?

When they do a column on Pineco then they will.

Also, aren't those the inspiration for Shuppet too?

Yeah. It's even in its Japanese name...Kagebouzu.

Kind of weird they have two teruteru bozu in one Gen, even if they are different. Never really thought of Castform as one before this though.

Shuppet's a really interesting case, because its appearance and name suggest a connection to the teru teru bozu, but thematically they don't seem to have anything in common. I suspect Shuppet's supposed to be a teru teru bozu that's become a tsukurugami (much as Banette has) but this is one case that's going to require some further research.

Hah, this is interesting! Good to show it to those who like to claim Gen III-IV Pokemon are "uninspiring" or "out of ideas" or other stupid claims like that.

Shuppet seems to be the same doll... but mixed with the myth of a cursed doll.

Anyway I love this series, and I wish I could contribute to it, but most of the stuff I could is on the more obvious side...

I remember reading this tidbit of trivia awhile back on the 'pedia, nice to see it publicized so poor Castform is known as more than just That Busty Ghost Thingy. I've enjoyed these articles so far, and it's nifty to see one about the Japanese mythology behind some Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom