• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Charmander: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On the Origin of Species: Charmander: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokém

This was great. I love Charmander, and I was very excited to read this, and to find out that i'm not the only one who knows about that stupid Salamander myth... I wanted a Psyduck article though. I have even since before it was mentioned, I love Psyduck.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Charmander: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokém

Never thought its origin was that deep. :3

Of course, like I always argue, I don't think the developers thought that deeply into the origin of the creatures. The most they probably did was look up the salamander's biology for its habitat description. It's still interesting nonetheless, how perhaps some of the unconscious relations and nuances can be researched.

Also, where's the Raptor Rants footer?

Ah, yes, the Salamander. Always a favorite mythic creature of mine.

Fun fact: The first Asians to trade with Europeans tricked them into buying clothing made of asbestos by claiming that the material was actually salamander skin.

Also, where's the Raptor Rants footer?

The what now?

I think you have me confused with someone else...

The what now?

I think you have me confused with someone else...

Ah, yes that's right, I do. I'm sorry for the mixup. I mistook you for the guy who writes the Looking Forward column.

A very interesting read, although I was a bit confused as to how you didn't also refer to Paracelsus as an alchemist. After all, wasn't the Salamander a pretty important Alchemic Symbol?

That's true. You know the character Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist? The flame alchemy circle on his gloves has a small silhouete of a salamander in it.

Here: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1131/1387904596_bd4a459df7.jpg

Look at the bottom. See the salamander?

Have you seen the amount of Alchemical Research Hiromu Arakawa had to do for FMA? She kept on getting confused due to contradictions. I myself had to write a report on it.

Yeah... I feel sorry for her... It was hard enough for me just to find out what a Flamel is actually called. I used to call it "That twisty cross thingy" xD

Getting back on topic, my mom, who is pagan, says that there are elementals called Salamanders that are very different from the animal, and that the animal may have been named after the elementals.

Another great article. I also liked the Paracelsus reference, though I feel simply referring to him as an "occultist" is a bit narrow. Many of the old-time doctors and scientists dabbled or excelled in many fields of study, a fact which I feel many people (though probably not you) are unaware of.

This was a great read! Charmander was my first pokemon EVER, so it's nice to read
about what inspired it. ^_^

Gotta love that wierd lzard thing. XD

lol...all hail the mexican serebii-wooper, the salamander that never grows up =D....lol

Seriously! XD
Mye, I'm getting posts so I get more benefits.
Gimme about an hour. XD
Or make a topic I can post in some. XD

It will always be Charmander to me. I tend to get real-life animals mixed up with pokemon... xD

As for Charmander's reptilian/saurian features: bear in mind that its species name is the Lizard Pokemon, and the Japanese term for salamander (well, one of them) means "fire lizard". Even though Pliny the Elder figured out that salamanders weren't lizards, this idea wasn't incorporated into mainstream science until relatively recently. As such, various cultures have thought of salamanders as lizards for hundreds of years, and I think this informs our portrayal of them (in much the same way that hyenas often get drawn with wolf-like features).

Oh, by the way, when I was searching for images of salamanders as portrayed in the Final Fantasy series, guess what I found?

ffsalamander.jpg

Does this remind you of anything?

Trippy.
... You said not to trust this, so I should and not, so I should and do so, so I should and not, so I should do so,...
AAAUUUGGGGHHH!!! Mind Screw this is.

I have one for you....
Compare Magikarp and Gyrados to the legend of dragon's gate. In it, a fish would be able to transform into a dragon.

Also, compare Zangoose to David Bowie. LOL

Well, I knew Charmander's concept was based on the mythical salamander but IMO, Charmander's relation with salamanders stops there. I always saw Charmander's physical appearance as that of a common lizard and I still think it's physically more based on small lizards than salamanders (even mythical ones)... it has claws, fangs and a tail just like small lizards and its highest base stat is speed which is something the small lizards are good at.

Isn't it just based on a bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom