• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Charmander: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Charmander: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Charmander, the Lizard Pokémon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Charmander: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokém

Sorry about this one being late: I've been babysitting a sick cat. Looks like she'll be okay, though.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Charmander: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokém

It's alright. Not the article though. It was great. I was just checking now for a new one. 5 mins later, we get something spectacular about a classic. Hope the cat's alright...
One more for your sig!

Well, this explains your delay, but still, it's an interesting read nonetheless. I liked how salamanders are misinterpreted by the old, and gave us another myth to enjoy. I noticed that previously, Wooper has its own origin, Meowth has its own origin, and now, Charmander has its own origin, as in its evolutions have a somewhat different origin. Approximately how many Generation 1 and 2 Pokemon have separated origins among evolutions then?

I think Bulbasaur would be too hard for you to do! Such a 'strange' thing!

I had no idea that Hitokage had such an interesting inspriration.

Too bad we aren't getting anything based on the Undine or Gnome. Sylph is already a company.

I already knew this, but it was still a good read. However I always thought the salamander got its fire association because of their poison feeling like burning, it surprised me when I heard that in fact they had a cold touch (I thought it wasn't a generally good idea to touch them, not that they weren't cold) instead. (Which shows the curiosity of a different reasoning and evolution of the myth then, as nowadays they'd get associated with cold and ice or water)

Yet another great article. I knew about salamanders, but not as much as I do now. And I think it was a great idea to do a Pokémon in your column that is probably one of the most familiar ones. I can't wait to see which pokémon you will do next!

Interesting read.
I always thought Charmander was supposed to be based off of a young dragon with salamander-like features. Never thought its origin was that deep. :3

:-(

I thought it was going to be Psyduck this time.

That last line. Does it mean that what you've been writing is all LIES!!!

I wish there had been a small section dedicated to the some peoples' different interpretations of Charmander. Mainly for folks like me who still can't see Charmander being completely based on a salamander, but instead drawing on a combined inspiration from it like so many other Pokemon with dual origins. There's too many conflictions between real life salamanders and Charmander in my opinion, putting the legendary notion to the side for a second.

Charmander has sharp teeth. Charmander is standing on two legs. He has clawed toes. Salamanders are long, almost eel-like. Their skin secretes mucus. They possess the ability to regrow lost limbs. In my opinion, and it is just an opinion, the similarity between Charmander/Hitokage and salamanders is in name only. Much like Charmeleon and Charizard, it has more saurian qualities to it, and I would classify as a mixture between the old salamander myths and a small dinosaur.

However, I realize that it isn't always the objective of these articles to quantify Pokemon based on appearences alone, so I'm essentially just sharing a piece of my mind.

I have to say that I must be in that small percent that believed that Charmander was, like its evolved forms, baised on a type of dragon. Though I had believed due to its name and shape it took a bit from the mythology given to the salamander. It was very interesting to hear how the myth of the fire breathing salamanders came about.

I love these articles. Very intelligent and well written, I can't get enough!

I love these articles. Very intelligent and well written, I can't get enough!

Yeah, they're really informative and fun to read! I read through nearly all of them the other day when I got distracted whilst using Bulbapedia to help with my current mass breeding in Heart Gold.

My favourite was the Farfetch'd one! Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon were very interesting too.

I did always wonder why he was named after a Salamander being a fire type...it's great to finally know why!

As for Charmander's reptilian/saurian features: bear in mind that its species name is the Lizard Pokemon, and the Japanese term for salamander (well, one of them) means "fire lizard". Even though Pliny the Elder figured out that salamanders weren't lizards, this idea wasn't incorporated into mainstream science until relatively recently. As such, various cultures have thought of salamanders as lizards for hundreds of years, and I think this informs our portrayal of them (in much the same way that hyenas often get drawn with wolf-like features).

Oh, by the way, when I was searching for images of salamanders as portrayed in the Final Fantasy series, guess what I found?

ffsalamander.jpg

Does this remind you of anything?

ffsalamander.jpg

Does this remind you of anything?

Hello, Pokabu-evolution!

Anyways, this was a great article, as always.

Yes, another great article. I love reading On the Origins of Species. I always thought Charmander was based on a lizard, like it's evolutions. Continue the great work!

Wait. So everything you've been telling us is a big pack of LIES?!?! DX

Haha. Spectacular as always.

I figured it would be based on a salamander, but still, great job!

I really liked the article. They have always been interesting.

:-(

I thought it was going to be Psyduck this time.

That last line. Does it mean that what you've been writing is all LIES!!!

What a monster. ;____;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom