• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Chinchou and Lanturn.

Read more on Bulbanews

mariowie

Happy
Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations be

haahah good article, very interesting that part of the males

Ino-Chan

Sig By Blue Dragon
Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Chinchou and Lanturn: Investigating the inspirations be

Yes! It's funally here!

Good article by the way. very informative.

Fern 24

Confusing Post Syndrome
Reaction score

Very nice and an easy read. The articles were starting to be a bit hard to read. That bit about the males attaching to the females' bloodstream was quite creepy, but still a very good tactic for survival.

Ranger Jack Walker

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score

This one, I knew already. Its too bad that Lanturn doesn't look nearly as epic as the anglerfish in that pic.

Caitlin

Reaction score

That bit about the males attaching to the females' bloodstream was quite creepy, but still a very good tactic for survival.
Hmm... Sounds a bit like my boyfriend, through he hasn't quite physically latched on as an inseparable parasite yet...
ohdear.png

Very interesting read, as always. The Anglerfish has always been a favorite of mine ever since I saw the ugly thing on a poster. Its creepy visage fascinated me to the point of obsession, where I was asking marine biologists if there was anyway possible to get them into an aquarium without dying from the lack of water pressure. Who wouldn't want one of these foul creatures of the deep sitting in their home to scare off burglars? :D

-Gray-

17 username changes :D
Reaction score

Awesome read, kinda disguisting though, about the males and the females.

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score

Awesome read, kinda disguisting though, about the males and the females.

It may be "disgusting" to you or other people, but it's a survival tactic that works perfectly well enough for the Anglerfish.

I've wondered a bit as to why Chinchou and Lanturn doesn't have a huge gender difference like real anglerfish, but It might not only be that fans might find it "disgusting", it could be difficuly in coding such an arangement (Same holds true for Shellder/Slowpoke, Magnamite/Magneton and Beldums), or it could be due to the fact that this arrangement was a relatively recent discovery and Chinchou/Lanturn already existed.

Oh well, there's always hope that Gen 5 or even later ones could bring a more "realistic" anglerfish.

Falconwing

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score

Well, that was an interesting article.

GreatLiver

Reaction score

I've kinda fallen a bit behind on reading these guys, haven't read the last two, but this really was a nice and easy read. I actually didn't know that about them, just because I really have never had much focus on fish. Once again, terrific job with what you're doing and definitely keep it up.

SnorlaxMonster

Elite Bulbapedian
Reaction score

The irony of it is, you mentioned the Pokémon look like they should be in a Pixar movie. However, an anglerfish DID appear in Finding Nemo, but as a danger, so it looked much more frightening than these. See it here.

zenmaster_pfc

The Calm-spirited Student
Reaction score

*now waiting for a more sinister-looking anglerfish Pokémon*

Bikini Miltank

A magical girl, transforming very slowly
Reaction score

Heh, yep, somebody else mentioned to me that there actually was an anglerfish in Finding Nemo. If Pixar can't prettify you, you've got real problems...

I did ponder the possibility of Chinchou getting a split evolution to a more realistic anglerfish, becoming a Water/Dark type but keeping its Electric moves. But it doesn't look like we'll be getting many new evolutions of existing Pokemon this gen, so I don't think it's an immediate prospect ^_^

zenmaster_pfc

The Calm-spirited Student
Reaction score

I did ponder the possibility of Chinchou getting a split evolution to a more realistic anglerfish, becoming a Water/Dark type but keeping its Electric moves. But it doesn't look like we'll be getting many new evolutions of existing Pokemon this gen, so I don't think it's an immediate prospect ^_^

Then, I'll just hope they consider it too. Maybe in gen6.

winstein

Mari-yo Puyo
Reaction score

I used to think that anglerfish was masculine due to their ruthlessness, but after reading the article, I was surprised to find out that the males of the species is practically invisible, and has a short lifespan as well, like the bagworm, where the males' body are different from the females', and the males also have a shorter lifespan as well.

Still, it was a great article. Keep it up.

Morru

ever so slightly
Reaction score

nice read^^

Bluelatios

Reaction score

I always liked those 2 Pokemon. They had unique types, and Lanturn is just cool. Man, if they make more deep sea fish, they need a deep-sea hatchetfish with those freaky, bulging, eyes that scream "OMG nowai"!

Status
Not open for further replies.