• Do you use Discord? Do you like catching Pokémon? Have you heard of Elaria? If you answered yes to the first two, you should give it a go! Professor Tilia is always looking for new people to help fill her Living Dex!

It just so happens she is hosting an event right now, where you could even get your own Pokémon form added into the game! Details can be found over in the Elaria discord server, right here
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • What happened to the Pokemon GO section?

Hey all! We wanted to let everyone know that the Pokemon GO section has officially been merged into the Pokemon Video Games section. You can find more information in this thread.

• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

As part of an ongoing series exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Slowpoke family.

Read more on Bulbanews

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémo

That was really nice to read, thought I was already familiar with Dunsparce's origins and the concept of the Tsuchinoko.

By the way, I really like those articles, so I am really glad Bikini Miltank is writing them again.

Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémo

I remember when I first found Dunsparce in Dark Cave. I thought it must've been some rare Pokemon.

Never have I been so wrong.

Bulbapædist
Reaction score

But it is rare or rather it WAS rare. Just not strong. Like Chimecho.

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score

When I was a young and naive kid, I used to think Dunsparce was some kind of bee that lived in caves and burrowed underground. I know better now.

From Leyend to Myth
Reaction score

Hm, this doesn't explain Dunsparce's drill tail and its burrowing abilities. I guess Tsuchinoko are believed to live in caves too and hide underground, or simply it's an association to things burrowing to escape sight, hinting at it being elusive.

Still, I love how tales of one of the weirder creatures of japan ended up mixing with one of the weirder creatures of america: You get a weird fat undulating snake that rolls around in a hoop and can jump.

Anyway, great article with a lot of interesting explanations to it. The flying snakes are interesting, given what we are lately learning about flight in general.
I honestly hope one of the next two articles is Celebi... There wouldn't be a more appropiate moment.

But it is rare or rather it WAS rare. Just not strong. Like Chimecho.
The first time I ever saw a Chimecho, I actually thought it was a legendary.
If only it got an evolution or something...

Reaction score

I really missed these articles. Hope more are coming!

Reaction score

For a while when I first saw Dunsparce I wrongly assumed that it was laying on it's back and had a distended stomach. It just looked like a sleepy yellow thing just laying there.

I mean look at it, it looks like it's just sleeping there with it's tiny white arms.

Obviously later I figured out it had fangs and was actually on it's stomach all along.

I really hope they evolve this thing it's been getting a lot of game and anime exposure lately and that's usually a good sign of evolution.

Mari-yo Puyo
Reaction score

I never saw Dunsparce at all in Generation 2, so I was surprised to see it in Generation 3 (the remake games). I thought it would be some fancy type, but was a bit disappointed to see it being a pure Normal-type. It's such a weird creature. Like the above user mentioned, I used to think that it is a sleeping thing, mainly because of the striped back (which looks like a stomach). It's difficult to see it being snake like, but looking at the mouth would be easy.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Interesting read
Fun fact: Probably the best explanation I've ever heard about Dunsparse is it's the Japanese equivalent of our Jackalope. Both are small, elusive creature that some people claim exist but most of us don't think so and are sort of based off of real animals (A snake and rabbit/deer).
So when ever I think if Dunsparse that's what comes to mind.

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
For a while when I first saw Dunsparce I wrongly assumed that it was laying on it's back and had a distended stomach. It just looked like a sleepy yellow thing just laying there.

I mean look at it, it looks like it's just sleeping there with it's tiny white arms.
Niiiice, now I cannot unsee that. I'll give this a read soon.