• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

As part of an ongoing series exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Slowpoke family.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémo

That was really nice to read, thought I was already familiar with Dunsparce's origins and the concept of the Tsuchinoko.

By the way, I really like those articles, so I am really glad Bikini Miltank is writing them again.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Dunsparce: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémo

I remember when I first found Dunsparce in Dark Cave. I thought it must've been some rare Pokemon.

Never have I been so wrong.

But it is rare or rather it WAS rare. Just not strong. Like Chimecho.

When I was a young and naive kid, I used to think Dunsparce was some kind of bee that lived in caves and burrowed underground. I know better now.

Hm, this doesn't explain Dunsparce's drill tail and its burrowing abilities. I guess Tsuchinoko are believed to live in caves too and hide underground, or simply it's an association to things burrowing to escape sight, hinting at it being elusive.

Still, I love how tales of one of the weirder creatures of japan ended up mixing with one of the weirder creatures of america: You get a weird fat undulating snake that rolls around in a hoop and can jump.

Anyway, great article with a lot of interesting explanations to it. The flying snakes are interesting, given what we are lately learning about flight in general.
I honestly hope one of the next two articles is Celebi... There wouldn't be a more appropiate moment.

But it is rare or rather it WAS rare. Just not strong. Like Chimecho.
The first time I ever saw a Chimecho, I actually thought it was a legendary.
If only it got an evolution or something...

I really missed these articles. Hope more are coming!

For a while when I first saw Dunsparce I wrongly assumed that it was laying on it's back and had a distended stomach. It just looked like a sleepy yellow thing just laying there.

150px-206Dunsparce.png

I mean look at it, it looks like it's just sleeping there with it's tiny white arms.

Obviously later I figured out it had fangs and was actually on it's stomach all along.

I really hope they evolve this thing it's been getting a lot of game and anime exposure lately and that's usually a good sign of evolution.

I never saw Dunsparce at all in Generation 2, so I was surprised to see it in Generation 3 (the remake games). I thought it would be some fancy type, but was a bit disappointed to see it being a pure Normal-type. It's such a weird creature. Like the above user mentioned, I used to think that it is a sleeping thing, mainly because of the striped back (which looks like a stomach). It's difficult to see it being snake like, but looking at the mouth would be easy.

Thanks for reading.

Interesting read
Fun fact: Probably the best explanation I've ever heard about Dunsparse is it's the Japanese equivalent of our Jackalope. Both are small, elusive creature that some people claim exist but most of us don't think so and are sort of based off of real animals (A snake and rabbit/deer).
So when ever I think if Dunsparse that's what comes to mind.

For a while when I first saw Dunsparce I wrongly assumed that it was laying on it's back and had a distended stomach. It just looked like a sleepy yellow thing just laying there.

150px-206Dunsparce.png

I mean look at it, it looks like it's just sleeping there with it's tiny white arms.
Niiiice, now I cannot unsee that. I'll give this a read soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom