• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Farfetch'd: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Farfetch'd: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Wild Duck Pokémon, Farfetch'd.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Farfetch'd: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokém

This article kind of makes me wish we had more pokemon based purely on old sayings, especially fairly obscure ones like this. It's got the potential for some pretty clever stuff. Farfetch'd, Spoink and Grumpig...do we have any more at present?

In any case, just reading this was enough to nudge me into bothering with a Farfetch'd on my current SoulSilver run. If it weren't for the combo of this fun read and the admitedly charming official art there, there's no way I'd have used it otherwise.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Farfetch'd: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokém

Entertaining, I was hoping for someone to prove Bulbapedia wrong about the legend when I couldn't find it like I found the other 'Origins'. There are still others I can't find, but I don't remember who they were.
Anyway, I kind of do feel like a sucker, or a duck for that trade, now I am older, but also kinda glad because it sports Fly and Cut and gets a level boost.

LOL, this was great. Your artcles are always good, but I find it hilarious that Farfetch'd is based on a saying. We need an ice pokemon with a backpack for all our grandparents who had to walk to school in the snow :)

Interesting read. :)
Sometimes I try to find out where pokemon originate when I'm playing the games... I was never able to figure out Farfetch'd.

I've always thought Farfetch'd was a better Pokemon then Spearow, battling wise.

Anyway, excellent. I only ever guessed the "Duck and green onion stew" part.

No wonder why it looks so angry.

Just from the article I can tell that every day is thanksgiving in the pokemon world; they just send their children out so they aren't obese.

Poor, poor, Farfecth'd though, it'll never get an evolution. It will however, get its own 15 minutes of fame on the Iron Chef of America. |D;

Farfeched = Hatsumi Miku

true fact

Very interesting read. :)
Even after reading that, I still want a Farfetch'd evolution, mainly because I hate single-stagers; I've never bothered to have them in my party, unless they're legendary.

Farfeched = Hatsumi Miku

true fact

Miku..?

I don't care much for her source series however has she really blocked out Orihime?

Farfeched = Hatsumi Miku

true fact

Hatsune. Miku's her given name. Means future. Hatsu is first. Ne is sound (yes like in [bp=Lyra (game)]Kotone[/bp] and [bp=Bellchime Trail]Suzune no Komichi[/bp]). Literally, read her name, it's "First Sound of the Future".

Interesting read, never really understood the origin behind Farfetch'd, and now I know. Still love how the author managed to say that Farfetch'd is weak and that the trade is a con. Makes me glad that I always capture a fodder Spearow for it.

Without a doubt, I'm baffled. I love reading articles such as these, simply because I love learning about the origins of things. I can't really believe it when people complain about pokemon being uncreative as a result.

Thank you for this article, I love Farfetch'd. I love this Pokémon.
It doesn't matter it's power: I can make it stronger.
In Red / Blue I can also catch another Spearow to have a Fearow AND a Farfetch'd. :)

Heh, that's surprising. I do agree on farfetched not getting an evo if this is the inspiration. We shouldn't want to ruin creativity for the sake of the metagame.

A nice, succinct and satisfy article!

Although, I already knew Farfetch'd was designed to be a food joke, it is nice to see other people go in-depth with it's concept.

I should give some acknowledgement to kiera2, who helped me with some of the finer nuances of this one. And I was hoping to illustrate the article with a picture of some delicious duck stew, but Bulbagarden's archives seem to be having some issues at the moment, hence this article looking a little more plain than usual.

Next week (assuming everything is fixed) I plan to cover a Pokemon whose origins are fairly well known. But the animal it's based on is so poorly understood that I think it deserves its own moment in the spotlight.

Hey, that was great. Definitely one of the oddest inspirations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom