• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations behind

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Gloom and Vileplume.

Read more on Bulbanews

Mari-yo Puyo
Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations beh

At last! Another "On the Origin of Species" article! Anyway, the Raffelsia is indeed a really strange flower, since it isn't really one. I live in South East Asia, so that's why I am familiar with them.

By the way, George, what happened last week that required you to postpone the article?

Trust me, I'm the Doctor.
Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations beh

Great article.

And who among us can honestly say that they wouldn't want a corpse flower in their garden?

Hmm... Maybe it's just me, then.
lol, great ending. ^^

追放されたバカ
Reaction score

Good article as always, George....although you should have mentioned the fact that while the Raffelsia dosnt have Chlorophyll, Gloom and Vileploom do: they have the ability of the same name, and Synthesis.

Unless you did mention it and I just didnt notice.

We're very concerned.
Reaction score

Wow, Vileplume really looks like that flower.

Great article.

Typhlosion!
Reaction score

I've always known about this flower, and I loved that two cool Pokemon are based on it.

Strange is Relative
Reaction score

I want a corpse flower in my garden. It'll go nicely with the pitcher plants and venus fly traps.

Somewhere in the world, a fly just fainted.

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score

Never really cared too much for the Oddish line but a great article.

The flower on Venusaur's back also looks like a Rafflessia.

I'm back
Reaction score

Oh Vileplume, I remember last year when I studied you in my science textbook. Almost had a heartatack when I saw your giant flower.

Reaction score

Wow, I had never heard of this flower... quite odd...

Now, the question on everyone's mind... how does Bellossom tie into this?

◕‿◕
Reaction score

Now, the question on everyone's mind... how does Bellossom tie into this?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Reaction score

Well I was just wondering what it was based on... since it evolves with a stone from the sun (implying photosynthesis...) rather than a leaf stone (which can relate to it's parasitic nature of sucking the life out of leaves).

Though with it being unrelated to Oddish, I am not surprised if it's also unrelated to Bellossom. Just thought I'd throw my inquiries out there.

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that the descision to make it an alternate evolution to Gloom was made after Belossom was fully designed. Thats what I think.

Reaction score

Another great article. Rafflesias are indeed very intriguing. And I've always liked Gloom and Vileplume's design. It's really a shame that they're threatened.

Maybe you could do Bellossom next?

Feeling of being watched
Reaction score

Cool Flower. I want one

Reaction score

If you're still following this - how about a quick "Origin of" that gives an over-view of the newly-released 5th gen, any over-arching design concepts and things like that, in contrast to the previous generations.

Well, maybe it wouldn't be a 'quick' article...

Reaction score

This one was pretty obvious, there need to be more articles on obscure origins of Pokémon.

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score

Well, really, considering that Vileplume's name in Japanese is "Rafflesia"...

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score

Well, "Rafureshia", actually, but close enough.

I always find these articles informative and interesting, even with the more obvious origins. I had fun reading about the rafflesia, though I doubt I'd actually want to have a "corpse flower" in my yard.

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score

Well, "Rafureshia", actually, but close enough.
According to Bulbapedia, it's "Ruffresia". (Romanization, not Romaji, is what I'm talking about.) But I'm pretty sure we all know where it actually comes from.

But yes, it was informative and interesting. I didn't know that the petals only appeared for a few days, for example.