• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Gloom and Vileplume.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations beh

At last! Another "On the Origin of Species" article! Anyway, the Raffelsia is indeed a really strange flower, since it isn't really one. I live in South East Asia, so that's why I am familiar with them.

By the way, George, what happened last week that required you to postpone the article?

Re: On the Origin of Species: Gloom and Vileplume: Investigating the inspirations beh

Great article.

And who among us can honestly say that they wouldn't want a corpse flower in their garden?

Hmm... Maybe it's just me, then.

lol, great ending. ^^

Good article as always, George....although you should have mentioned the fact that while the Raffelsia dosnt have Chlorophyll, Gloom and Vileploom do: they have the ability of the same name, and Synthesis.

Unless you did mention it and I just didnt notice.

Wow, Vileplume really looks like that flower.

Great article.

I've always known about this flower, and I loved that two cool Pokemon are based on it.

I want a corpse flower in my garden. It'll go nicely with the pitcher plants and venus fly traps.

Somewhere in the world, a fly just fainted.

Never really cared too much for the Oddish line but a great article.

The flower on Venusaur's back also looks like a Rafflessia.

Oh Vileplume, I remember last year when I studied you in my science textbook. Almost had a heartatack when I saw your giant flower.

Wow, I had never heard of this flower... quite odd...

Now, the question on everyone's mind... how does Bellossom tie into this?

Now, the question on everyone's mind... how does Bellossom tie into this?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Well I was just wondering what it was based on... since it evolves with a stone from the sun (implying photosynthesis...) rather than a leaf stone (which can relate to it's parasitic nature of sucking the life out of leaves).

Though with it being unrelated to Oddish, I am not surprised if it's also unrelated to Bellossom. Just thought I'd throw my inquiries out there.

I'm pretty sure that the descision to make it an alternate evolution to Gloom was made after Belossom was fully designed. Thats what I think.

Another great article. Rafflesias are indeed very intriguing. And I've always liked Gloom and Vileplume's design. It's really a shame that they're threatened.

Maybe you could do Bellossom next?

Cool Flower. I want one

If you're still following this - how about a quick "Origin of" that gives an over-view of the newly-released 5th gen, any over-arching design concepts and things like that, in contrast to the previous generations.

Well, maybe it wouldn't be a 'quick' article...

This one was pretty obvious, there need to be more articles on obscure origins of Pokémon.

Well, really, considering that Vileplume's name in Japanese is "Rafflesia"...

Well, "Rafureshia", actually, but close enough.

I always find these articles informative and interesting, even with the more obvious origins. I had fun reading about the rafflesia, though I doubt I'd actually want to have a "corpse flower" in my yard.

Well, "Rafureshia", actually, but close enough.

According to Bulbapedia, it's "Ruffresia". (Romanization, not Romaji, is what I'm talking about.) But I'm pretty sure we all know where it actually comes from.

But yes, it was informative and interesting. I didn't know that the petals only appeared for a few days, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom