• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

On the Origin of Species: Jirachi: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Jirachi: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In a Tanabata special of the series exploring the origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Jirachi, the Wish Pokémon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Jirachi's Wish

Hunting for Rare Candies
Reaction score
I remember Jirachi was based on Tanabata, but never knew the backstory to the actual festival. The story is so sweet, Jirachi will always be my favorite pokemon. I'll be sure to wish for good weather for their meeting.

Fern 24

Confusing Post Syndrome
Reaction score
That Tanabata story is really sweet. I can just imagine two "stars" travelling across the Milky Way to meet each other. :)

Ranger Jack Walker

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score
I had heard that story before but only in very little detail. Interesting as always.

RebornRocks

Do it, like an Animal...
Reaction score
What a beautiful backstory... since you made this article, I'm going to do the Tanabata tradition and hang wishes on something around the house.

KidWithTheGoldenArmaldo

Trust me, I'm the Doctor.
Reaction score
Good article as always. I learned something new today! I am also going to hang a wish somewhere and pray for good weather today. ^^

Magmortar123

Get those Devil Horns up
Reaction score
Great article! I really liked that story and I learned something new :)

Baldur

clausæ patent
Reaction score
Very interesting and well researched as usual.
I think it's worth noting that there's an article in Bulbapedia called "List of Tanabata event Pokémon" and it states that "This is a list of Nintendo event Pokémon given away in celebration of the Japanese star festival Tanabata. So far, they are all Jirachi that have berries that are rare or not available in the games."

Last edited:

Chebon

No need for violence...
Reaction score
Awesome article as expected.
Always learn new things from these articles lol.

Thanks.

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
I learn more every time I read these. Thanks for teaching me the story of Tanabata.

I also knew Jirachi was coming, LOL.

Falconwing

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
Well, I have six Jirachi now so here's wishing.

Good article.

Sylver Hummingbird

Calvin Klein?
Reaction score
Another great article. I don't understand how far-fetched these tales are but they are always heartening.
Hope to see more.

Faye Scarlet

total eclipse of the heart
Reaction score
It's a very sweet Pokemon! ;A; Makes Jirachi quite romantic story, too. Like, someone gives you a Jirachi, or you make a wish for someone you love to Jirachi...

Status
Not open for further replies.