• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Jynx: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Jynx: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In a Massive Controversy Special, we take a look at Jynx, the Humanshape Pokémon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Right then... This article covered a touchy subject, and as such, I expect this discussion thread to be an utter bloodbath, preferably involving the following: multiple infractions, at least three bannings, people accusing me of being overly politically correct, people accusing me of being racist, people accusing me of being a man-hating lesbian, flames, wailing, gnashing of teeth, the invention of a new swear word, claims that I am Hitler, claims that I am Mecha-Hitler, calls for the reinstatement of slavery, a ten-page diversion on the subject of Brock's race even though I only devoted a sentence to it, an argument about gay marriage, and somebody claiming that all Pokemon look like Digimon now.

Racist Digimon, that is.

In all seriousness... I know this is a controversial topic, so let's play nice, 'kay? :p

You ask the population to play nice when they clearly won't? Isn't that an exercise in futility?

Oh, the hatefulness of the general fandom... it sickens me, how much we've devolved.

I actually quite liked the article, even though it was long. Very long. I guess Jynx is that much of a mystery.

I loved the first line.

But seriously, this the best one so far. Even though I don't like Jynx that much, this article deserve s full praise.

Good article. Lots of pictures.

I had read in the past that Jynx is supposed to be nothing more that clothing, accessories, etc. held up by psychic powers, and the darkness is supposed to represent that nothing is there.

Good article. Lots of pictures.

I had read in the past that Jynx is supposed to be nothing more that clothing, accessories, etc. held up by psychic powers, and the darkness is supposed to represent that nothing is there.

Interesting... I'd never heard that before, but it might tie in with the yuki-onna idea (some descriptions of them are quite similar).

Also... sorry about the article's length, I don't think I'll ever write one this long ever again. There really is just so much to say about Jynx. There are numerous points where I could have written even more...

And I'm happy I got to include an image from Super GALS. Awesome series.

Interesting... I'd never heard that before, but it might tie in with the yuki-onna idea (some descriptions of them are quite similar).

Also... sorry about the article's length, I don't think I'll ever write one this long ever again. There really is just so much to say about Jynx. There are numerous points where I could have written even more...

And I'm happy I got to include an image from Super GALS. Awesome series.

I remember in the "Wait, what?" thread someone mentioned the camera going near Jynx in (I think) one of the colosseum and there was nothing under her dress. Therefore, this speculation could be proven true (at least in this game) But I guess it's as you said,
...there are no easy answers.

Well now, I'm glad this is being deposited into the 'pedia so hopefully fans can refer to it 10 years from. Let this be the article to end all articles.

As I was reading, many thoughts crossed my mind. A big one was this: it's no secret that many fans view the original Pokemon favorably. It is also no secret that many of the newer Pokemon being designed with a different approach in mind may not wedge their way into the hearts of as many fans as the originals. Call it nostalgia or whatever you want, but it's a fact of the fandom that has almost become a parody or meme unto itself.

Where do fans fall when it comes to an original 151 Pokemon like Jynx? Were they initially immediate fans? Did they even know what Jynx could be based on, or did they most likely conjure up their own interpretations? Many newer Pokemon get criticized for being of a particular style, design, make, or origin. Does Jynx herself fall into that category of "completely forgeign and unappealing" that persists in the opinions of many traditional Poke-fans? What are the equivalents to Jynx in the newer generations? Is it a better idea to craft Pokemon based on something more predictable, like an animal, vegetable, or inanimate object?

This very week, a trailer has revealed that the Generation V games will, at long last, introduce a black character to the franchise (Brock, Phoebe and Dahlia would be best described by what TV Tropes would call "Ambiguously Brown"). I'm sure many will have the Jynx debacle in the back of their heads as more information on this character surfaces, something that Game Freak are undoubtedly aware of this too.
This is referencing Aloe, correct? I'd really rather wait till we get more information on the character before jumping on the bandwagon of "It's a Black character! Batten down the hatches!"

I remember reading that jynx was based on a northern myth (I think one from Iceland, or something. Sorry, I can't remember.) about a princess with long blonde hair who was burnt black from freezing to death in the ice.

I think that you partially included that one too. ^^"

Hmm, throughout the pokemon fandom, there is a number of childish and idiotic individuals that have somehow managed to become what people imagine all of us fans to be. As you know, most of us are not like that, so there is no need to be expecting to be compared to Hitler, and so on. ^^

Good article, by the way. Was wondering if jynx would even be touched upon, really. :D

Hi Guys.

I can't remember where, but I think that I do recall some thing saying that she's just supposed to be clothes and accessories too. Maybe it was in one of the episodes?

When her face was just all black, I thought she was in shadow because of the hair or was a shadow. Now that there's the clearly purple skin...it kind of goes against the shadow idea. (That...and Smoochum clearly is not a shadow)

While looking at the more contemporary image, I hate to say it...but it looks like she was more inspired by an "adult" doll. :blush:

Brilliant, this article was brilliant. It was long but I enjoyed reading every little bit of it and learning more about all the possibilities surrounding Jynx's origin. I've never been one to dwell on controversies like the one present with Jynx, just leave that to all the ones who like blowing things out of proportion and let me play my pokeyman.

claims that I am Mecha-Hitler

Only when you write an article on Registeel and it's DP sprite.

Anyway, it a very well written article that should clear up a bit of confusion.

Actually, the talk about the differences in one culture can lead to misunderstandings reminds me of memes in general. In particular, memes that exist on the internet.

I find it kind of amusing how some people here can spout an internet meme but have no idea where it came from. Take Chuck Norris jokes for instance: I frequent the forums that tend to invent memes (usually by mistake) that spread to the rest of the internet once we're done with them. I was there when Chuck Norris jokes where invented. In fact, they had nothing to do wtih Chuck Norris in the first place, but Vin Desiel. I don't really know how they got applied to Chuck Norris afterward, but it became famous off the site, resulting in hundreds of people repeating the jokes, both on websites like this one and in real life. As a result, I find them no longer funny, but there are people who still do.

Great article. My opinion is "haters gonna' hate" idea. The crazies see Pokemon as a target for their attention-grabbing and Jynx as an easy point of focus. I find it pretty cool that Gamefreak has so much fun with the creation process for pokemon but it's a shame that misconceptions caused by cultural differences has stirred up controversy.

I remember in the "Wait, what?" thread someone mentioned the camera going near Jynx in (I think) one of the colosseum and there was nothing under her dress. Therefore, this speculation could be proven true (at least in this game) But I guess it's as you said,
When you defeat Jynx in Stadium her armor and wig fall to the ground and "she" disappears.

Awesome article as always. I learned a lot of new things today, and cleared up stuff that I'd heard about. On a related note, I Googled "Pokemon supports communism" when I read about that part of the article. Interestingly, Google came up with a few entries that were trying to prove how Pokémon is connected to Communism.

Out of curiosity, will you be making an article about Froslass? That was the first thing that came to my mind when you mentioned a Pokémon based on the yuki-onna.

I think in the pokemon stadium 2 pokedex, if you rotate her image, you can see that there isn't anything below her waist.:-/

Dammit.

Now I want to rewatch Super Gals. 8(

EDIT: I suppose I should at least say something moderately on topic. Great article, and you better do that controversial Psyduck article at some point!
emot-argh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom