• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Lileep and Cradily: Investigating the inspirations behind P

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Lileep and Cradily: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Lileep and Cradily.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Lileep and Cradily: Investigating the inspirations behi

Loved it!

Nothing more to say.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Lileep and Cradily: Investigating the inspirations behi

Nice one, Lileep and Cradily are probably my favorite fossils, and I've always loved their origin.

Awesome! ^_^ I knew most of this already, but it was a great read as usual, and it's fun to see my favorite pokemon have its own article. :D

Awesome! ^_^ I knew most of this already, but it was a great read as usual, and it's fun to see my favorite pokemon have its own article. :D
Seems like this was made especially for you.

But yeah. In a sea of people wanting dinos, dinos, and more dinos, it's nice to see Game Freak really stretching their arms in search of cool Pokemon to make into fossils. After the absence of proper fossil Pokemon in Gen 2, I was happy for their return in Gen 3 and to see what they picked (anomalocaris being the other one).

Not only do Lileep and Cradily have the only Grass/Rock unique typing, they've also got a great skill set that lends itself to their unique design. In the horrible match-up that was the Water/Rock duo Omastar and Kabutops, it was nice to see a fossil Pokemon be able to hold its own and actually make use of its characteristics.

This fossil duo will always be mystical to me, because they are not dinosaur-based fossils, and one based on anemones as well. Yes, I think it is an awesome Pokemon, but I remembered reading an article on IGN about how this Pokemon (Lileep) is one of the culprits of Generation 3 Pokemon being the stopper of the hype of Pokemon.

I think you should have mentioned that the Pokemon is not in the Plant Egg Group at all and is part of the Water 3 Group, which is associated with aquatic invertebrates. That means that it can breed with jellyfish (Tentacool) and starfish (Staryu), further proving the point that Lileep and Cradily are not based on plants.

Well, now, this one is pretty interesting.

About six years back, I was living in Kentucky and we were spending the day at a river. My uncle comes up to me and hands me a weird little chunk of rock and told me to hold onto it, 'cause it was a fossil. All these years, I never knew what it was, but I flipped out today when I saw this:

Crinoid2.jpg

My fossil's a part of the stem! :D

I've still got that fossil tucked away somewhere in my stuff. Can someone give me a ride to Pewter? Please? Maybe while they're at it, they can look at this piece of "horseshoe crab" shell I've got, too....

As much as I've always wanted dinosaur fossil Pokemon, its actually really good that Game Freak didn't go with what was popular and gave us a look into these other interesting creatures, besides, its not like we didn't have enough Dino-substitutes in the form of dragons.

This was one I honestly was hoping to see, as Lileep and Cradily are weirder than the shit that the Mythbusters comes up with (And later blow up).

Needless to say, good work, as always.

Great article. I always thought that Lileep and Cradily are the most interesting fossil Pokémon.

Wow! I didn't know most of this.

Very interesting. I've always what Lileep/Cradily was inspired by.

Aww, I was so amazed, when I noticed that one of my most favorite Pokémon get On the Origin of Species article. Lileep&Cradily are really original Pokémon in design wise, the one who designed them in GF deserves a cookie.

Awesome work, I really enjoyed the article.

Lileep and Cradily are one of my top favorite Pokémon - I think it's only above Honchkrow in my "list"-, I have a Cradily in my party right now! :)

Perfect article, you managed it well to tell us they aren't inmobile not-in-the-mood-to-move plants as they seems.

I saw a fossil of these when I went to a geological survery for work experience (fossils, maps etc)
Let me say I came back with a new liking for the fossil pokemon, mainly Omanyte and Kabuto as I actually fixed a fossil of those two.
I really enjoy reading these Origin of species posts as I always learn from them.

This articles contribute to why bulbagarden is so unique compared to other Pokemon sites.

A great article as usual. As others have said, I'm glad that the pokemon fossils aren't mostly dinos.

^Yeah, I agree.

But Wow. Great article!

This made me want to get a Cradily for my replay of Emerald.

^Yeah, I agree.

But Wow. Great article!

This made me want to get a Cradily for my replay of Emerald.
You could get one right now on DPPt/HGSS... :)

I didn't know that crinoids weren't plants. They're just animals that look like them. Good article, as always.

Well, I didn't know that. Excellent article.

He should do Spiritomb next. The concept of 108 spirits being trapped in a rock has always eluded me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom