• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • ME continues berating people in this next exciting episode of his Platinum Lets Play. Watch it here.

On the Origin of Species: Magikarp: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Magikarp: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

As part of a returning series exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Magikarp.

Read more on Bulbanews

Because I like Tophats
Reaction score
It certainly has been a while since we last saw a Origin of the Species article, so this came as a nice surprise to me. Great read as usual.

Where the Shadows lie
Reaction score
This was a really nice surprise. Great piece, as always, Bikini.

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Damn, it's been so long since the last articles. I've missed these; I'm excited to read the rest. This will be a cool thing to pass the time until XY release too, huh.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Boy, it's been a while since the last Origin of Species report. I really missed them, since they were a lot of fun to read, as well as learn some interesting facts from them. Can't wait to see what other Origin of Species reports well be getting. Nice reporting.

Reaction score
Been a while since we've seen one of these. I actually kinda missed them, and was (coincidentally?) just thinking about it the other day. Even though i've heard the Magikarp origin before, it's still nice to see this back, and i can't wait to see what's to come in the coming weeks.

Lovely
Reaction score
This is a very interesting article. I should check out the other pokemons as well!! Hopefully, there will be a day when all 600+ pokemons are covered :D

Reaction score
I might have almost screamed when I saw that there was a new On the Origin of Species - updated yesterday, no less! I'm far more excited for more of these than X and Y, honestly. Anyway, great article, but I already knew everything in this one, so it was a slight disappointment. v_v Oh well. Can't wait for the rest.

Thesaurus rex
Reaction score
Nice to see these back, a great series of articles