• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behind P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behi

so i know this is extremly late, BUT, i remembered reading the article and just stumbled upon a creature who could be a combined concept with the clione to get, atleast, manaphy.

Introducing, the Turritopsis nutricula. Also known as the Immortal Jellyfish.

http://http://www.ville-ge.ch/mhng/hydrozoa/antho/turritopsis-rubra2.jpg

The Turritopsis Nutricula, or the Immortal Jellyfish, is a specium of Jellyfish who, while in the Medusa stage (the image shown) can revert back to its sexually immature polyp state (so, the first stage before medusa stage).

What this means is that, by choice, the Immortal Jellyfish can live in an infinite cycle of old to young, and becomes biologically immortal.

An analogy to this would be an 80 year old woman reversing her life process so she could be 15 again, and continually being able to this whenever she wanted to. She would never be capable of dying from old age or bodily failure; only through external causes such as murder, disease, etc.

This looks much like manaphy to me, and its Signature move Heartswap could refer to the fact that it can 'swap' its 'heart' from old to young.
Bulbapedia's article states that
"Manaphy's body is made of water and is highly susceptible to its environment. One of these reactions is that when Manaphy reproduces in an ocean that's warmer than those that they are native to, the child will be a Phione as opposed to another Manaphy." which means, technically, a manaphy could reproduce itself in a manner to 'biological immortality', however not identically as it IS creating another organism.

The concept is what matters ;P

Fact of the day for everyone, hope that was worth the thread rez :p

Last edited:
Re: On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behi

I'm trying to find parallels to other creatures in other cultures that hold a strange amount of significance like the clione apparently holds in Japan. I know there's a couple out there... Help me out people!

But you know, I never did like Manaphy or Phione. It was awkward to get; the ability was cool, but being on a legendary Pokemon meant never getting to see it in action while playing the games; it could breed, however the fact you could never get another Manaphy was pretty strange.

Probably my biggest gripe is how they made two Pokemon out of a very similar design. There's only a handful of differences... Did they have to go this far with making two Pokemon? What about formes? Kinds feels like we got shortchanged.

Rather late mention, but I thought it worth noting that the sea angel even appears as a game END BOSS. Specifically, the Embryon, the boss of Zone Nu in G-Darius (the other four possible end bosses are based on a crowned seahorse, a leatherback turtle, an anomalocaris, and a sperm whale).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom