• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behind P

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Manaphy and Phione.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behi

It still surprises me what you can learn if you research more on the species that the Pokémons are based on. This is no exeption :)

Re: On the Origin of Species: Manaphy and Phione: Investigating the inspirations behi

Lol I love these. Darwin can suck it.

Uh, what does this article have to do with Darwin (whose theories were perfectly sound, mind you)?

Im saying origin of species on pokemon is better than origin of species on boring finches

I have nothing agaist darwins theories, in fact I love them. Cant anyomne make a joke anymore?

Im saying origin of species on pokemon is better than origin of species on boring finches

I could debate with you on the idea of those finches being 'boring,' but that is neither here nor there.

All in all, another fascinating article. I happen to have a soft spot for slugs and other gastropods, so I enjoyed this article in particular.

Well that one caught me by surprise, i would never have thought that Manaphy and Phione were based on a sea slug.

Interesting and facinating.

Gardevoir next plox!

From a National Geographic blog:

The sea angel is the second undersea animal considered very special in this region. It is a tiny invertebrate, about 2-3 centimeters in length that flies through the water on diminutive wings. Its scientific name is Clione limacine and is found in various cold-water climes in a number of locations worldwide. Their little bodies are translucent and colored blue, red and orange. Small tentacles that look like horns can be seen on the tops of their heads. I knew that sea angles were found here in winter and had listed them near the top of my shot list. They truly seem otherworldly and to me, embody the spirit of this place perhaps more than any other animal. Seki-san and Ayako spoke of them often and told us how they awaited their arrival, which signaled that the ocean had transformed from autumn into winter. I had received an email a few weeks before I left home telling me they had seen the first Clione of 2008.

Each day on the way to Seki-san’s dive shop I saw sea angels painted on the side of the elementary school and even found Hello Kitty sea angel key chains in local gift shops. Clearly, they have become part of the local lore. But I learned from Seki that there is a National Geographic connection to this local lore. A little over twenty years ago, no one knew that sea angles lived in these waters. But around that time NGM photographer Flip Nicklin was working in Rausu with Japanese filmmaker Koji Nakamora. Flip was helping Koji with an underwater film and noticed the cliones while working underwater. He told Seki-san, who had just launched his dive shop business back then. Since that time, they have taken their place with other celebrated Hokkaido wildlife from brown bears and dancing cranes to snow monkeys. Seki also went on to tell me that Flip was the very first person from the United States to ever dive here. And since that time, no other American divers have come here. So Mauricio and I are the second and third divers from America to dive Hokkaido, as far as we know.

Oh, and it should be obvious to any who were involved in the Digimon fandom what Marine Angemon is, now.

MarineAngemon_b.jpg

That is amazing, I never would have figured that out.

I think dunsparce and it's link to the japanese tsuchinoko should be next.

It's amazing what you can learn by reading "On the Origin of Species." First of all, I never even heard of the clione. All I can say is: one professionally written article.

I was first introduced to the clione by this album cover. The band (who are Japanese) are fans of the clione, and the picture supposedly illustrates the creature's dual nature: both an angel and a demon. I was hooked on clione myself after reading about that.

*Is drawling clione fanart*

This is really neat.
...personally, I'd like to see Drowzee next.

I love reading these "On the Origin of Species" articles. Aside from learning about new facts, I see deeper connections between our world and the Pokemon world and how Pokemon is not, say, a game with a bunch of funny creatures.

Another nice article

I like On the Origin of Species. Thanks, George! :ksmile:

I always was attracted to Manaphy and Phione's adorable charms, and now I know why! ;A; So now that's Omastar, Gastrodon, and Manaphy!

Thx for the article!I always like the background on Pokémon in general :)

Huh, never would have thought it. I have actually have seen a movie about a slug.

Weird. Anyways, these are increasingly enlightening and I'm hoping we get into Claydol next time.

Manaphy and Phione are slugs? Interesting. Never knew that before.

One of the reasons for me visiting Bulbapedia at all is... this collumn. I LOVE IT ABSOLUTELY, it's very interesting and sometimes I get to know lots of things I had no idea even existed...

Keep up the good work and write MORE! :)

Amazing content.Ha,that ti-bit about its skin being transparent remained me of the glass frog.Nature is certainly beautiful,indeed.

And I want to know about Claydol too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom