• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Mawile: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Mawile: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Deceiver Pokémon, Mawile.

Read more on Bulbanews

Interesting indeed. Mawile has always been one of my favorites.

I didn't know much about futakuchi-onna though.

Woot! Charles darwin aint got nothing on these articles!

You have proved again while your editorials are the best on Bulbanews.

While I have never been a fan of Mawile, its inspiration is fascinating. Can't wait to read the next one.

when i was first playing ruby i thought this pokemon was really cool looking and thought it was neat. but then started fighting with it...not so great...

Iv'e always liked Mawile and it's inspiration is pretty interesting. Nice article.

I really enjoy these Origin of the Species articles. I'm always intrigued by the connections that Pokémon share with Japanese culture and folklore, and I'm learning a lot this way. Keep 'em coming!

Very cool article, I always thought Mawile was awesome, even though I've never actually used one. It was nice hearing about the myth it's based on.

I hope it gets an evolution in Gen V too!

Mawile's one of the few Pokemon from Gen III whose design I really liked, and this article was really interesting to read. Nice job!

Dam fine article.

I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't want a new evo. I'm afraid the cuteness factor would be ruined. In my Ruby playthrough, it has yet to be knocked out. I love Mawile to bits.

...why the hell is this it's own article? The Bulbapedia article has a link to the wikipedia article on the futakuchi-onna anyway, making this even more pointless.

Another interesting article.

Mawile is a very overlooked Pokemon, as it seems though that its version exclusive counterpart, Sableye gets a bit more attention due to its immunity to most types.

I haven't ever completely gotten Mawile though, in its official artwork are the teeth coming from its horn and you are looking at its back?

yes in the official art we are looking at his back, and his back sprite is his front, weird but awesome, mawile really needs an evolution.

I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't want a new evo. I'm afraid the cuteness factor would be ruined.

This was my position for a very long time... there's always the chance that a new evolution will ruin a favourite Pokemon. But Mawile seems to share design elements with Kirlia, which makes me hopeful that a future evolution would be Gardevoir-like, rather than going the usual route of just making everything bigger and meaner looking.

Then again... I hope they don't make an evolution that's too good. Otherwise there'll no longer be a place for her on my team of NU misfits...

Interesting. I'll admit I've never been a major fan of mawile, only catching it once in my entire history of gaming and then never bothering to use it. I also was surprised to see it as a steel type (that's one thing the article didn't explain). I get the steel teeth bit, but being a deceiver makes you think of dark types. Oh well.

I also hope for an evo, since it being so popular does mean an evo would be used.

It's true that Mawile looks more like a Dark or Normal type than a Steel type. I do have a pet theory about the typing... though it's more to do with game mechanics than Mawile's origins. It's a counterpart to Sableye, and I think the intention was to create two Pokemon whose unusual typing made them naturally very defensive: Sableye has no weaknesses, and Mawile has a ton of resistances. That's the only reason I can come up with: they needed a non-evolving, pure Steel-type to pair with Sableye, and Mawile just happened to fit the bill.

I also hope for an evo, since it being so popular does mean an evo would be used.
Actually, that wouldn't be a bad idea; we've seen Game Freak is breaking many "paired exclusives" by giving one counterpart a(n) (pre)evolution and not to another (Gloom, Gligar, Mantine, Dusclops are some popping to my mind right now).

I actually like these thorough analyses of Pokémon origins (despite what I thought on the first part of the series). I can't wait to see which one will be analyzed next.

I find articles of Pokémon based off Japanese mythology really interesting. In particular, Froslass became one of my favourite Pokémon after I learned of her origins (seriously, write an article on it!).

Having said that, I've always loved Mawile anyway, it's cute. This article, made it more awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom