• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Meowth: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Meowth: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Meowth, the Scratch Cat Pokémon.

Read more on Bulbanews

This article made me realize that Meowth is also one of my top favourites.

I knew what Meowth was based off of, I never heard the story in the beginning so it was a fun read.

I expected something on how it is based off feral cats too but that article was still excellent. I should buy a maneki. sometime.

Very interesting. I always thought Meowth was just some ordinary cat.

I knew a bit about the Maneki Neko, but it was still a good read. I also kinda find it a little strange how the article didn't mention Persain at all, but I'm not so surprised since it's just a bigger cat that's apparently been spoiled by luxury or something. So it probably wasn't worth mentioning.

I also find it a tad interesting how the attack Pay Day has slowly becoming less "relavent" as the series went on. Less and less Pokémon are capable of learning it, now only Meowth can.

Haha,I loved the final line xD

"Wow,does that simple cat pokemon represents all that stuff?"
"Meowht?That's right."

Great article as usual. I find it funny how the most famous Meowth of all is the complete opposite of what it's based off of.

I usually see these when I go into Chinese restaurants. Oddly enough, I've never seen them in any Japanese restaurants that I've gone to.

Also have one in Animal Crossing. It's golden. Yay!

I know about the neko cat (I've seen them a few times), but I didn't know that Meowth would be based off of them. Interesting read, as always.

Wow, good read as usual.
Yeah same, didn't know they were based off them ^ .

Thanks.

lol that was interesting... though it would have been nice to hear about it evolving into Persian.... and the gem on it's head... perhaps suggesting it attaining wealth.

It's amusing how far Meowth in the show is from the Pokemon's Pokedex, who is in turn very far from the source material.

I am already familiar with this kind of origin, mainly because I had seen these kind of ceramic statues in some places, and learnt about the "raised paw" tradition in Picross3D. Oh, and the story reminds me a little about Puss in Boots, where the cat had brought a poor man riches.

Anyway, does Persian have a much different origin to not be mention in this article?

I think i have seen a money box shaped like that once.
Anyways, i love these origin of species articles.also,does persian have a different origin, is that why its not mentioned in the article?

Anyway, does Persian have a much different origin to not be mention in this article?

Persian doesn't seem to have any specific ties to the maneki neko. It seems to be based mainly on a Siamese cat (and yeah, that flatly contradicts is name, which is the same in Japanese, but there you go). Persian doesn't even get Pay Day these days, and speaking of which...

I also find it a tad interesting how the attack Pay Day has slowly becoming less "relavent" as the series went on. Less and less Pokémon are capable of learning it, now only Meowth can.

Yep, and this is the exact opposite of what's happened with every other signature move in the game... Usually they start out as very exclusive and then get added to more and more Pokemon families over the generations. But Pay Day was a TM in Gen I, reduced to an egg move in Gen II, reduced again in Gen III so that only the Meowth family and an event Skitty could learn it. Now, in Gen IV, the move is truly exclusive to Meowth (not even Persian gets it) and you won't get it at all if you evolve your Meowth too quickly...

I usually see these when I go into Chinese restaurants. Oddly enough, I've never seen them in any Japanese restaurants that I've gone to.
Yep. I'm from Liverpool in the UK. Not many Japanese people living here, but we have a big Chinese population, and you see maneki neko everywhere. Its origins are undoubtedly Japanese, but it seems to have been enthusiastically adopted by the Chinese. Interesting, really, because a lot of the cultural things I've talked about in the past (such as Tanabata and the teru teru bozu) were Chinese concepts that were adopted by the Japanese. Incidentally, a lot of the maneki neko I see in Chinese restaurants are red. Red is the luckiest colour in Chinese folklore, so it seems like the Chinese are putting their own spin on the tradition in this case.

Yep, and this is the exact opposite of what's happened with every other signature move in the game... Usually they start out as very exclusive and then get added to more and more Pokemon families over the generations. But Pay Day was a TM in Gen I, reduced to an egg move in Gen II, reduced again in Gen III so that only the Meowth family and an event Skitty could learn it. Now, in Gen IV, the move is truly exclusive to Meowth (not even Persian gets it) and you won't get it at all if you evolve your Meowth too quickly...

They must really love meowth to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom