• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Mew: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, good read. BUT...it doesn't really cite any sources, does it? Where did you get the information about Myuu being slipped into the game at the last minute, for example? Where did the quote from Morimoto come from?

Ah, good catch: I'd meant to link to the source for that info. Here it is.

Brilliant! One of my favourite yet! I would put in my opinion on the whole thing itself, but I can't understand things that complicated yet.

I liked it, although the clashing Pokédex datas are really annoying, but we should blame Game Freak on that.

Now, BM, all you gotta do is add Mew to the banner in your Signature.

if mew was first kept as a secret, then nintendo and game freak must be hiding another pokemon that we might have not found...

anyway im just only curious about it ...

See Celebi. Jirachi. Deoxys. Phione. Manaphy. Darkrai. Shaymin. Arceus. Victini. Keldeo. Meloetta. Genesect.

Unlike in Generation I, there are people who are specifically dedicated to diving deep into the games to figure out just what's in there. Only thing we can't find is something that's not there, like Origin Forme Giratina and Sky Forme Shaymin in DP, Spiky-eared Pichu in DPPt, the alternate-form Deoxys in RS, and so on.

There are no Pokémon we haven't found. Only Pokémon Nintendo doesn't want us to know about.

A brilliant read... but I still think there was something missing.
Everyone always brings up that Mew was never meant to be in the games and that it was only found through glitches (adding in more content after testing can cause problems), not that Mew itself is to blame here, but if it had really been a big plan to release Mew as a special event they would have added it in earlier and tested, I really think it was added just to fill space by someone a little bored and lucky it did not do something very bad to the games.
Anyway, although the Pokédex may say it contains all Pokémon DNA, was it not written by Prof. Oak? so could we not possibly assume that the wise old Professor heard second hand about this amazing ability; was it just because it could learn lots of moves or even just he misunderstood what another scientist was saying about this amazing find?.
I have also read others stating that the Sinnoh trio legandary were nothing more then legends that became attached to the Pokémon through the genorations.

On a side note, I still hate the idea of restricted Pokémon, items and even special abilliy/ moves I think are fine, but I think eveyone should be able to get at all Pokémon through relitvly normal means. My gripe... GameFreak should allow at lest one game where you could get all these stupid exclusives without cheats or being Japanise!

Holy shit i actually learned something....

nice article
i love reading these
XD

On a side note, I still hate the idea of restricted Pokémon, items and even special abilliy/ moves I think are fine, but I think eveyone should be able to get at all Pokémon through relitvly normal means. My gripe... GameFreak should allow at lest one game where you could get all these stupid exclusives without cheats or being Japanise!

I don't cheat and I'm not Japanese and I have a full Pearl dex.

...Although I also live near a city big enough to have the download promotions, so the point is seen, just expanded. It bugs me too, especially in this day of wifi.

Well, the situation is nowhere near as bad as it once was. Global trading and large forums like this one have ultimately made a complete dex an attainable goal. Back in Gen I, we didn't even have breeding, so even something as simple as getting all of the starters and their evos was a nightmare.

Didn't expect half of a biology lesson in this one, but it was great nevertheless. I never expected Mew to have been unknown to Nintendo, nor did I make the connection to its similarities to an embryo. I love it when this series gives me those "now I get it" moments.

What, no mention of how Mew like to live under trucks? :p

A good article, as always. Since Pokemon games use fake-science anyway, I like to think that Mew contains the DNA of all Pokemon not because it's the common ancestor, but more because it's sort of like a living Ark. Which means we need an ancient disaster to back it up and WOW PRESTO Gen VI plot-line!

You overlook quite a bit of possible origins to focus on your stated preference. Not only that, but just because Mew wasn't explicitly stated to be the ancestor of all Pokemon at the time of the first generation doesn't mean it was an idea that "developed over time". Things don't need to be spelled out to be true. Or at least if they're not spelled out you don't presume the opposite.

What, no mention of how Mew like to live under trucks? :p

A good article, as always. Since Pokemon games use fake-science anyway, I like to think that Mew contains the DNA of all Pokemon not because it's the common ancestor, but more because it's sort of like a living Ark. Which means we need an ancient disaster to back it up and WOW PRESTO Gen VI plot-line!

You win. SO MUCH. ;_;

Yeah, the whole "contains the DNA of all Pokemon" thing is kind of annoying from a biologist's perspective. As MeltyClocks said, Pokemon uses pseudoscience and the supernatural anyway, but I like to think of it as the other way around - all Pokemon (excluding some legendaries) have Mew's DNA in them, whether they were descended directly from it or somehow normal animals were "seeded" with it. Saying any more would go into my ultra-complex theories about the Pokemon universe, so I'll stop there.

Well, the situation is nowhere near as bad as it once was. Global trading and large forums like this one have ultimately made a complete dex an attainable goal. Back in Gen I, we didn't even have breeding, so even something as simple as getting all of the starters and their evos was a nightmare.

A nightmare and/or three games and two Game Boys.

You win. SO MUCH. ;_;

Yeah, the whole "contains the DNA of all Pokemon" thing is kind of annoying from a biologist's perspective. As MeltyClocks said, Pokemon uses pseudoscience and the supernatural anyway, but I like to think of it as the other way around - all Pokemon (excluding some legendaries) have Mew's DNA in them, whether they were descended directly from it or somehow normal animals were "seeded" with it. Saying any more would go into my ultra-complex theories about the Pokemon universe, so I'll stop there.
When you consider the other basis in Mew's origin that PokeDex entry makes more sense. It's only when you take it out of context that it becomes a "biologist's nightmare", and in the end is just nitpicky.

You overlook quite a bit of possible origins to focus on your stated preference. Not only that, but just because Mew wasn't explicitly stated to be the ancestor of all Pokemon at the time of the first generation doesn't mean it was an idea that "developed over time". Things don't need to be spelled out to be true. Or at least if they're not spelled out you don't presume the opposite.

I think it is pretty notable that Mew's status as a universal ancestor didn't get a mention until Generation II. Most Pokedex entries are merely restatements of those in past generations, generally adding little that's really new, and it's very unusual for something of this magnitude to appear in a later generation. Mew actually gets more backstory than most in the Gen I games, and I think it's notable that the ancestor thing wasn't stated or hinted at even once... especially given that the diary entries were written by scientists. Mew's purpose in these games is to be a prototypic Mewtwo, and I'd think it very unlikely that GF had decided on Mew's current backstory at this time.

And I make no claim that these columns are the undisputed truth. These are simply my observations. The front-page blurb states that these are likely origins, and I'm not sure what more I can do in this regard. A big flashing banner stating "Of course, this could all be bollocks"?

But if you have alternative ideas as to Mew's origins... well, that's one of the things that this thread is for. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that I'd missed out something important, and I'd encourage you to post your thoughts.

but one thing i dont understand:
if gamefreak added mew at the last part of the programming, how could mewtwo be there?

Am i the only one that wonders this?

Mew was mentioned in the diary entries as Mewtwo's predecessor, but it wasn't intended to appear as an actual Pokemon in the games.

Mew also,literally gave birth to mewtwo, instead of him growing in a test tube..meaning someone knocked mew up :eek:

>> GIOVANNI DID IT! he must have,just lookit the family resemblance!

Mew was mentioned in the diary entries as Mewtwo's predecessor, but it wasn't intended to appear as an actual Pokemon in the games.

im still lost
how could mewtwo exist in the games if mew wasn't intended to exist at all originnally?
:S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom