• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspiratio

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspirations behind ...

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja.

Read more on Bulbanews

Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspir

Cool article, one of my favourite Pokemon.

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
Re: On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspir

Ah, I remember these little insects.

I have a confession. Up until now, I never knew Nincada was part ground type.

Born at a Yung Age
Reaction score

its based off of locusts i think

Pokémon Warlord
Reaction score

Awesome article. I just finished breeding a Nincada to use in my games, too. :D

Trust me, I'm the Doctor.
Reaction score

Ah, I remember these little insects.

I have a confession. Up until now, I never knew Nincada was part ground type.
Lol, me neither.

I used to find the little shells in the summer when I was little.

Also, not looking forward to next summer. I live in one of the states mentioned. :(

Time to pull the shades down and live a secluded life from the outside world.

A magical girl, transforming very slowly
Reaction score

its based off of locusts i think
Cicadas are often colloquially referred to as locusts, although the two groups aren't related. Locusts are actually a type of grasshopper. I assume the cicada/locust confusion came about because they're both insects that like to swarm.

Lol, me neither.

Also, not looking forward to next summer. I live in one of the states mentioned. :(

Awesome! Send me pictures!

I am actually quite jealous >.>

Super Special Awesome!
Reaction score

Cicadas are often colloquially referred to as locusts, although the two groups aren't related. Locusts are actually a type of grasshopper. I assume the cicada/locust confusion came about because they're both insects that like to swarm.
Hmmm.... Do they swarm in-game, too? o.0 lol

This is by far my favorite "Origin" article. My fiancee and I were discussing how Nincada and all the others were most likely based off of cicadas the other day. Where I come from (Georgia), we've always referred to them as "hot bugs" because they only ever seem to buzz when it gets really hot out. Sadly, I'm moving back to Maine summer '11, so I won't get to see the epic swarm. I love the little buggers.

Pun not intended.

The acest of trainers
Reaction score

Lol, me neither.

I used to find tons of shells when I was a kid as well :p

Another excellent article. It was a very interesting read. I wonder if Nincada's can count prime numbers as well :p

total eclipse of the heart
Reaction score

That animation on the article was kinda creepy. D8 I was hoping to spend my whole life without seeing a bug hatch from a shell. Eeeeee Dx;

But interesting read indeed! D8 I always liked the Nincada line, and now, I know about their origins!

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score

Yay, Shedinja, the pokemon with the most awesome way of obtaining.

Would have been a great Pokemon if it wasn't damaged by Entry Hazards. Well, maybe not but it would be much less risk free to use it.

From Leyend to Myth
Reaction score

Yay Nincada family!
Cicadas are awesome.

However this article is lacking on the ninja part, even though that's quite simple (ninja in training, ninja, and sort of a renegade ninja). Maybe the japanese cicada should have been mentioned, and how its melancholy sound and the meaning of insects' metamorphosis has in japanese folklore probably give Shedinja it's ghost typing.

Would have been a great Pokemon if it wasn't damaged by Entry Hazards.
Well, you can bypass poison by setting up a Safeguard...

All of the bara
Reaction score

I always wanted to see one in-person.

I love the Nincada line!

Tumblr Addict
Reaction score

That animation on the article was kinda creepy. D8 I was hoping to spend my whole life without seeing a bug hatch from a shell. Eeeeee Dx;

But interesting read indeed! D8 I always liked the Nincada line, and now, I know about their origins!
Me too. I was reading it and I saw the animation and I died a little inside. D:

A magical girl, transforming very slowly
Reaction score

Me too. I was reading it and I saw the animation and I died a little inside. D:
B-but... surely a cicada emerging from its skin is one of the most beautiful sights in nature... right?

I thought so >.>

Seriously though, if you're all grossed out by this then I don't know how you're gonna handle next week's article...

Reaction score

B-but... surely a cicada emerging from its skin is one of the most beautiful sights in nature... right?

I thought so >.>

Seriously though, if you're all grossed out by this then I don't know how you're gonna handle next week's article...
I liked the animation... especially the green wings on the newly molted cicada. I always knew what the Nincada-family was based on, but I didn't realize how much thought went into the thought process of their creation.

Tumblr Addict
Reaction score

I thought so >.>

Someone else might think it's beautiful, but I don't. ;D;

I am scared now for next's week article, but nevertheless I will force myself to read it.

Super Special Awesome!
Reaction score

I thought so >.>

o.0

SWEET! Now I'm excited. :p

Spirit of the Divine Wind
Reaction score

Very Interesting. I always thought the Nincada line was based off of another insect. This clears up some things about my conception of the line.

I get a swarm of Brood XIX cicada's next year!! YAY!! (or not...)

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score

Well, you can bypass poison by setting up a Safeguard...
There's still Stealth Rock, which is far more common.

Using Shedinja is one the most awesome experiences. Watching it slowly take your opponents team while they can't even touch it... Now thats just evil in an awesome way.