• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspiratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspir

Who wants to swap house? My lovely England for your lovely USA?
I want to see this next year!
The prime numbers interested me but I'm a nerd so anyway.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Nincada, Ninjask and Shedinja: Investigating the inspir

OMG! I HAVEN'T SEEN THESE LITTLE THINGS SINCE LIKE I WAS SIX! AND I GET TO SEE THEM NEXT YEAR YAY <3

Anyway, great article.

Seriously though, if you're all grossed out by this then I don't know how you're gonna handle next week's article...
Oh my, are you going to do that brain-eating parasitic fungus?

On a positibe light, I obviously found it beautiful spreading its green wings like that. Also, Nincada.

I am so glad that I won't be in TN during next summer. All of those Nincada are gonna bother the whole state.

I saw a nymph cicada this afternoon, but I would have had no idea what it was if it wasn't for this article and that pic :O. Weird looking things :L

I love your articles and I wish there were Cicadas in my area :( They sound so neat... (I'm a Californian)

A professor at my university studies them and gave a lecture to my Entomology Club. Amazing little dudes...too bad they don't last that long above ground..

I would love to see a Cicada in person, and I'm also curious to hear how annoying they really are. I kind of knew about Nincada's inpiration before this, but it's still a great read.

Also, this image kind of creeps me out:
Cicada.gif

This was a neat article but the second seems to be a bit misleading as applying to most cicada. Some types are on a considerably shorter cycle, even as short as just yearly.

They also have other ways of defending themselves, ever tried to grab a cicada before?

Well if you haven't before, don't because they will SCREAM and it will be worse than any of the rattling or buzzing they do from up in the trees.

What annoys me even more than the cicada hatching, is the fact that it's on a towel roll for hours without anyone noticing? I would have beat the shit out of the creatin.

What annoys me even more than the cicada hatching, is the fact that it's on a towel roll for hours without anyone noticing? I would have beat the shit out of the creatin.

... You cruel, cruel woman. :'(

This was a neat article but the second seems to be a bit misleading as applying to most cicada. Some types are on a considerably shorter cycle, even as short as just yearly.

Hmm... I thought the article made it clear that the long cycles were specific to Magicicada.

Actually, Nincada's HGSS Pokedex entries mention it living underground for more than 10 years, which does bring Magicicada to mind. Most Japanese cicadas, to my knowledge, have much shorter life cycles than that.

Ew, no more bug Pokemon, pl0x. Scared to death of those little things. That being said, it was a very interesting article. I learned something new today, even though I wasn't sure it was something I wanted to learn.

I'll probably be getting Brood XIX next year. Anyway, I'm surprised that the Nincada line makes no reference to the long time nymphs spend underground (even for the species that only stay in the ground for a year or so, that is quite a long time) or to the loud noise cicadas make.

I remember how bad it was in Princeton 6 years ago. Again a terrific article, though I did find it a bit odd that there was absolutely no mention of the ninja aspect.

I would love to see a Cicada in person, and I'm also curious to hear how annoying they really are. I kind of knew about Nincada's inpiration before this, but it's still a great read.

Also, this image kind of creeps me out:

If you want a rather small glimpse of the annoyance of the sound of cicadas, try playing Animal Crossing during the summer in the evening.

I always hear them at night, but I never see them. Maybe because they were underground. *shiver* scary thought.

Love this article. Can't wait for next week's!

Heh. I remember a few years ago in Michigan, it was so awful. They were flying around in gigantic swarms of like hundreds in my driveway. Anyways, a nice article.

(Oh, and this one time, I had been eating at a restraunt, and when I left, the little bugs were crowding on every bush, tree, etc. Oh, and trust me, they ARE very annoying.)

You guys are lucky. I live out here in New York so I can't hear any cicada.

..That gif is mesmerizing.

For me, it is surprising that most insects live longer in their 'larva' state than as an adult. Anyway, a great article as always.

but-but guyyssss 3rd gen pokemon lack inspiration and heart. They all suck because they don't have any thought put into them!
/sarcasm

As always, this was a great article. Though I did groan a little when I found out someone had named a genus Magicicada.

But man oh man. These Tennessean summers are bad enough as is, and next year I'm going to have to deal with a giant swarm of bugs? Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom