• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Nosepass and Probopass: Investigating the inspirations behi

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Nosepass and Probopass: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Nosepass and Probopass.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Nosepass and Probopass: Investigating the inspirations

I really wish Bikini Miltank would look at some Pokemon with less obvious origins than this. Like Electrike, for instance.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Nosepass and Probopass: Investigating the inspirations

See, the problem with that line of thinking is that "Pokemon with less obvious origins" often equates to "Pokemon with no obvious origins" or "Pokemon whose origins are far too murky to be certain of". And I'm not going to write articles declaring that Pokemon are based on this or that if I'm not sure of it.

I'll also stand by my argument that origins don't have to be obscure in order to be interesting. One of my favourite columns to write was the Poochyena one, for example. While it's interesting to learn about things you've never heard of before, isn't it also interesting to learn new things about stuff you thought you already knew about?

I really wish Bikini Miltank would look at some Pokemon with less obvious origins than this. Like Electrike, for instance.
It's not quite as obvious as you'd think. You'd be surprised at just how many people you can find out there that really do assume these two pokemon are merely 'just a nose'.

Anyway, yay. I was looking forward to this one. It's greatly reviled by the fanbase, puzzingly so imo, but Probopass is actually one of my all time favourites. Not just because of how hillarious it looks, but the enigmatic history behind it's inspiration and the genius of bringing two seemingly dissimilar concepts together so effectively.

But anyway, the article itself was, once again, a fun read. I was a little surprised that you didn't make much of the pokemon's relation to compasses, but given that the moai are a meatier and more interesting subject anyway, it's understandable.

As for the seemingly random mini-noses? If you look at Probopass from above, it becomes clear. The nose represents the compass needle, being brightly coloured and pointing north, while the mini-noses are merely the east, west and south points of the compass.
The whole compass thing in the first place, at least the way I figure, is merely supposed to relate to the fixed position of the statues, and how these 'giant heads' are endlessly facing in one direction.

Last edited:

Vindication!

I always wondered why Probopass gets so much hate, especially as many people complain that the Gen IV evolutions "just got fatter", when it's a clever expansion to the Nosepass concept. Although, now it seems the heat's been taken off Probopass thanks to the Ice Cream trio. :p

Anyway...

And what of the iron filing mustache, and the 'mini-noses' that surround it? Ah, well, I never claimed that Probopass made perfect sense...

That's easy. Nosepass and Probopass are based off compasess, which rely on magnetism, and thus Probopass' nose attracts iron filling. This also explains why they learn Magnet Bomb, and other electric moves. And, when viewed from above, the mini-noses in addition to its large nose are pointing in the four cardinal directions.

Also, I always assumed the idea to mix Moai with compasses is due to the fact that I believe their have been reports of magnetic anomaly around Easter Island before (like the Lost Island!), and I remember seeing an episode of Monster Quest on SciFi where they mentioned it. The Anime expanded this idea by featuring an island in one episode with Probopass that screwed up a compass whenever someone went near it, for instance.

So, really, I don't think they're random at all...they're a great combination of two motifs and I personally think they're two of the most well-thought out designs...although, Rock/Electric as a typing would've been pretty neat, 4X Earthquake aside.

/rant

EDIT: Also, when are you doing 5th Gen Pokemon? Waiting till the English names come out? Personally, I've been wondering if Kaburumo (the blue beetle) was based off any certain bug with a habit of stealing shells or something.

This was a great article. I just saw an episode about the Easter Island statues on Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego.

I find the maoi really interesting. They have this eerie and mysterious feeling to them, something that I'm always attracted to.

See, the problem with that line of thinking is that "Pokemon with less obvious origins" often equates to "Pokemon with no obvious origins" or "Pokemon whose origins are far too murky to be certain of". And I'm not going to write articles declaring that Pokemon are based on this or that if I'm not sure of it.

I'll also stand by my argument that origins don't have to be obscure in order to be interesting. One of my favourite columns to write was the Poochyena one, for example. While it's interesting to learn about things you've never heard of before, isn't it also interesting to learn new things about stuff you thought you already knew about?

I will concede that it's always fun to read about stuff that interests me, and the Maui of Rapa Nui do interest me.

Still, I'm going to hold out for an article on Kabuto and its rather obvious hermit crab origins (hint hint)

... I didn't know there were bodies on those statues... I thought they were just heads...

I'm not the most culturally learnt person.

It was all interesting to learn. I also find it interesting that the reason Probopass had those three extra noses was to represent the four points on a compass. Very cool. :)

I really wish Bikini Miltank would update his sig with the last 6 articles.

In all seriousness, I really like you columns. Would've been nice if you would've paid some more attention to the magnet part of Nosepasses/Probopasses origins though, but keep the good work up.

Still, I'm going to hold out for an article on Kabuto and its rather obvious hermit crab origins (hint hint)

But Kabuto aren't like hermit crabs,they are horseshoe crabs / trilobites, an ancient kind of animal that lead to crabs and insects. Which would lead me to also beleive that anorith and armaldo may have competed against kabuto and kabutops, would be a neat battle.

I guess highlights of a kabuto / kabutops article would be about the trilobite family, how some were really flexable and stayed ont he seafloor, and how horse shoe crabs have blue blood and stuff

Last edited:

But Kabuto aren't like hermit crabs,they are horseshoe crabs / trilobites, an ancient kind of animal that lead to crabs and insects.

Meant horseshoe crabs! They're not at all hermit crabs.

(Horseshoe crabs and trilobites aren't the same, BTW)

Another great article. It is fun to learn new things about stuff you were already familiar with.

I still don't like Probopass, though.

Meant horseshoe crabs! They're not at all hermit crabs.

(Horseshoe crabs and trilobites aren't the same, BTW)

they are still arthropods, which include a super huge group, including trilobites. But horseshoe crabs ARE related to trilobites >>

Ahem,anyways, twas an excellent article :D

People seriously need to read these articles. Then and only then will they stop claiming that Pokemon after the 2nd Gen were badly designed. Probopass is still ugly but that doesn't make it 'badly designed.'

Yes Yes Yes Yes.I was looking forward this one so much!like another user said,Hooray vindication!Its a shame when people,based on their own ignorance start talking shit about stuff.

Anyway,amazing as alwaysone of the few worthy content things in bulba for me.A question, will you ever cover the Pixie Trio(Uxie etc)?I know their apparent origins are stated very clear on bulba,but me and other people were wondering if maybe they were also related to that "see no evil ,hear no evil..." Chinese myth about a trio of monkeys?

People seriously need to read these articles. Then and only then will they stop claiming that Pokemon after the 2nd Gen were badly designed.

The reason people why say "New Pokemon are badly designed" because they are too familiar and attached with their old friends more so then not understanding the concept. So even if you do show them these articles, opinions might not change because the newer Pokemon are more unfamiliar to them.

Change can be good or bad depending on who sees it.

People seriously need to read these articles. Then and only then will they stop claiming that Pokemon after the 2nd Gen were badly designed. Probopass is still ugly but that doesn't make it 'badly designed.'

I know what you mean. It annonys me to no end when people say that. If they paid attention, they'd realize that a lot is put into each Pokémon's design. I admit that I don't like Probopass, but that's just me. Perhaps someone does.

Awesome! A new article. Thank you George so much for yet another article!

Probopass's "hat" is new to me, as I didn't think that his "hat" (and eyes) even has an origin. And I also agree that misunderstood fans are in need to read some of these articles to know that new Pokemon are also well-designed (and get educated too!).

Again, thank you.

I've always assumed the Iron Filaments are a reference to the toy Wooly Willy. I've no idea if it is popular or even known in Japan, though.

Really good job on these articles, one of the few things I enjoy reading on the internet! Are there any fifth generation pokémon comming up soon? Rankurusu is probably one of the more interesting choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom