• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Nosepass and Probopass: Investigating the inspirations behi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On the Origin of Species: Nosepass and Probopass: Investigating the inspirations

Rusty Shackleford: Actually, I'm wondering if there's a basis in a species of beetle that preys on snails, and ambushes them by HIDING IN VACANT SHELLS OF THE SAME SPECIES OF SNAIL. (q.v. the Heavy Weather sequence in the sixth part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

Re: On the Origin of Species: Nosepass and Probopass: Investigating the inspirations

Good job again George. I didnt know that Probopass was inspired by restored Moi. I didnt even know that Moi had entire bodies....

Id love to see an article on Shuckle, Rankurusu, Sableye, Dunsparce, Frosslass, and other Pokemon with strange origins. But I really shouldent be suggesting anything, he he.

I guess Probopass' moustache and red hat may also be a reference to Mario...

Last edited:

Another awesome article.

Your articles are the only really good ones on Bulbanews. I've always found the "On the Origin of Species" series interesting to read. Keep 'em coming.

Now I read this and it seems clear to me about the way Nosepass looks, even in the anime section of its page I looked at the picture and thought Easter Island head. Now all I have to do is figure out if those holes in the side of its head are sockets for its arms or ears?

The artical itself was a brilliant read as always, thanks!

nice job as usual BM
you should do the Trilobite next

Great article. Really explained a lot of questions I've wanted to know for a loooong time.

I'm kinda surprised that you didn't mention Konami, because that's the one game company that uses Moai in everything. It's their signature thing that they add to their games.

Anyway, great article.

Great article! I feel extraordinarily dumb now because I'm one of the ones who didn't see the connection. I couldn't get past the whole I'M A NOSE concept, even though moai are terribly amazing and cool. Maybe also the weird red/blue coloring.
I feel much better after having disliked these Pokemon for so long. The pukao clinches it. Although I'm still not a fan of noses.
It's always good to learn something cool that eases the burden of disliking something for no reason.

--"What Is" Jack

An interesting read. Lookin' forward to the next one ^^

good article but i notice you left out some of the more gursome aspect of Easter IsLand's history.

A great read, as always!

What I liked most about Nosepass' concept is when I found out that, similar to birds like homing pigeons, some people have a very weak sense of magnetoception because of the ethmoid bone behind the nose, which has some magnetic iron deposits. When I read that a few years ago it immediately made me think of Nosepass and its funny design. So I was slightly disappointed that this was not mentioned at all, but at least I learned some interesting facts about Polynesian culture. ^^

What I liked most about Nosepass' concept is when I found out that, similar to birds like homing pigeons, some people have a very weak sense of magnetoception because of the ethmoid bone behind the nose, which has some magnetic iron deposits. When I read that a few years ago it immediately made me think of Nosepass and its funny design.

No... way. That is incredible! Alright, I'm over the nose thing, that's just too cool! Thanks so much for sharing that, I think you've made me a better person :unworthy:

--"What Is" Jack

Yet another good read. I commend you for doing these articles!

Thank you for another article. It was very interesting to read.

Huh, how interesting! D8 I knew about them moai statues, but I had no idea there were "completed" moai statues too! That just makes Probopass more adorable in my eyes. Aww~

I was waiting for your next article, and Monday I was thinking, "I wonder if he/she will do Nosepass..." I look the next day, Holy Crap! I am an Alakazam! Meh, I thought it was funny...

Me, I'm waiting for Froslass; I know Hutcheon made an allusion to covering her in the future in Jynx's column. Although there are definitely others I'd like to hear about, like Snorunt (domovoi), Sableye (wichtlein? Or some other at-least-slightly-malicious mine spirit...), and Anorith (I just enjoy hearing about anomalocarids. Now when is GameFreak going to release an opabinia-based pokemon...?).

But back to Probopass...The Tangata Manu is actually one of the earliest recruitable daemons in Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. So, I found myself wondering if the mini-noses on Probopass might be based on Tangata, since the picture used in SJ looks kind of like those noses...

Great article! Moai have always interested me. Although I noticed that you left out the part about the Moai driving the island to destruction and cannibalisim and near extinction and all that...

Anyways, I love reading this column. I want one about Psyduck :p

I've read somewhere that the mustache is probably based on Mario :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom