• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Oddish: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Oddish: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Oddish, the Weed Pokémon.

Read more on Bulbanews

This is an interesting article. You had drawn the line between Oddish and mandrakes, so this heads-up is well appreciated.

Once again, another Generation 1 Pokemon without any ties with its evolutions. However, I understand the origins of Gloom and Vileplume this time! They are definitely based on Rafflesias, which makes sense, as they have a smelly scent coming from them, like the two, who has some smelly scent from their flowers. Even then, I would like to hear from you and your articles!

Wow. Interesting. Who would have thought that a plant can be so intriguing to inspire so many myths and legends. Anyway, great article once more.

Wait, Oddish does that of screaming when pulling it out? I didn't know that.
But now everything makes sense. Maybe not screaming, but Oddish is extremely poisonous.

I didn't know how the real Mandrake's root looks like either. I thought the humanoid apperance was myth inspired by the dryad or kodama or something... but it actually looks like that! Freaky thing...

Ah, mandrakes. I was reading about the novel Alraune, and learned that some tales state Mandrakes only grow where the semen of a hanged man drips onto the ground. I can see how that isn't very relevant to the Pokemon though :p

Good article, as always.

Ah, mandrakes. I was reading about the novel Alraune, and learned that some tales state Mandrakes only grow where the semen of a hanged man drips onto the ground.

Yeah, I chose to skip over that particular bit of information... It does seem to tie into early notions of how reproduction worked, though (specifically the concept of the homunculus, where each sperm was said to contain a tiny person).

There's really a huge amount of mythology around the mandrake. I really only scratched the surface and picked out the stuff most relevant to Oddish.

Oh, and the stuff about Oddish shrieking when pulled out of the ground comes from its Pokedex entry in Yellow.

Ah, mandrakes. I was reading about the novel Alraune, and learned that some tales state Mandrakes only grow where the semen of a hanged man drips onto the ground. I can see how that isn't very relevant to the Pokemon though :p

Good article, as always.

That's strange... But yeah the article was really well researched as usual. xP

This was a great piece of writing and I honestly enjoyed reading it! :)
I think you should do the Chikorita family; everyone seems to forget that Chikorita and its family members are based on a dinosaur.

You know, I honestly though that Oddish was based off of a radish due to its name, but oh well, we learn something new everyday, I suppose. Actually, I have a question. Has anyone done Psyduck and Golduck yet?

You know, I honestly though that Oddish was based off of a radish due to its name, but oh well, we learn something new everyday, I suppose.

I thought this too. Especially because it looks just like a raddish.
I think it's based on both, really.

Anyway, good article! Can't wait for the one on it's evolutions.

You know, I wasn't expecting this one. Glad you did it. Now I have a new appreciation for Oddish... even if it does suck.

The name does seem to be a simple combination of odd+radish. I did also discover that mandrakes are symbolic in the worship of Odin... but that seemed like a bit of an etymological long shot to me.

Great article as always. You've managed to make a cute little Pokemon like Oddish into this deadly creepy nightmarish little monster.

Mandrakes, I remember those from harry potter. Anyways,, I'm babbling, good article!

Interesting as always.

@Bikini Miltank You didn't update your sig yet. :p

Even more concerning, what are you gonna do when your sig if full of Pokemon?

You know, I honestly though that Oddish was based off of a radish due to its name, but oh well, we learn something new everyday, I suppose. Actually, I have a question. Has anyone done Psyduck and Golduck yet?

NO!!! DON'T START A BUNCH OF PLATYPUS FLAME WARS!

No need for flame wars. Bttsstewart's right.

I had a bit of a recent obsession with Oddish. (You can thank Troggy's avatar for that.) You can bet I was pleasantly surprised to find this. And quite a read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom