• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Paras and Parasect: Investigating the origins behind Pokémo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Paras and Parasect: Investigating the origins behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Paras and Parasect, the Mushroom Pokémon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Paras and Parasect: Investigating the origins behind Po

Ewww Parasect =/= aphrodysiac =D

Good article though. Kinda weird that both the Paras line and the Nincada line are based off the same things.

Last edited:
Re: On the Origin of Species: Paras and Parasect: Investigating the origins behind Po

It's about time this one came along. Good read as always!

I had a feeling Parasect would be next.

Those blank eyes i has... The poor thing. :-(

Whilst I always enjoy these reads, I loved this one especially. Great job George, it's always great to see the spotlight on the more obscure Pokemon in the franchise.

Yeah I had seen something like that on tv once where they showed the whole process in a quick time lapse... Needless to say it's rather disturbing to watch.

Nice article. Looking forward to the special one Wednesday.

Nice read. I admit, I'm a bit disgusted with this relationship, but everyone else has to admit, it's quite freaky.

And the mention of Tanabata at the end brings Jirachi to mind...

Interesting, I always thought they were to be based off of crabs. :XD:

Another great article!

Also, I'm quite glad you didn't manage to rustle up a fast-forward gif this time around :p

Yeah, that last gif freaked me out.

What can I say? I'm quite easy to disgust.

Nooooo I was making a huge post about Jirachi and accidentally deleted it! ;_;

I saw this one coming when you mentioned something bad at the Nincada thread... Good that you didn't find that animation I saw of the thing growing though, as an insect-lover of sorts I found THAT really creepy...

And now I realize that it is indeed WORSE than the real thing. I mean, just think about breeding! The eggs are BORN with the parasite!

Anyways... If you are going to write about Jirachi, could I request a few things?
First is about its "Eye of Truth"... I thought it was about seeing what one truly wishes, parallel to a belief that we have a real wish beyond other vain desires or something... But I don't know much about that.

Now, about why is it asleep for 1000 years... I don't know if that amount of time is connected to tanabata (which shows how much I know), but maybe it is a reference to the story of the 1000 sandals? The seven days it is awake are easilly paralell to Tanabata being the seventh day of the seventh lunar month and being strongly linked with the number in general.

And there's also why did they choose to use желать as its name instead of one more closely related to tanabata... I mean, there's the wishing thing, but I find it strange they'd pick a Russian word...

Yes, I like Jirachi a lot... Tanabata is something I'd have liked to go to... Sorry for going offtopic like that!

wahoo!
I love this particular breed for the darker undertone of the species. I have wanted this artical to read from the start, I am so glad it came and it was still so interesting, even though i have read about these fungui all over the place when reading about ants and their lives. educational, and not to grousom, just right.

a super duper read!!!

Yeah I really enjoyed this one and I remember seeing the particular fungus on the Planet Earth series on Discovery. It was really gross the first time but nonetheless really interesting and I would have never thought that this was incorporated into the Paras family.

This article made me shudder. Well, you did say:
Seriously though, if you're all grossed out by this then I don't know how you're gonna handle next week's article...

And you were right.

A lot of Pokemon seem to have sinister origins, and I find these articles so interesting! I though Paras was some sort of hermit crab, but I didn't expect Cordyceps! I don't find them gross at all, they're pretty interesting.

Great article as always. And yes, you managed to creep me out this week too. :S

Can't wait for Wednesday!

P.S. I know this may sound noobish, but who or what is Tanabuta? ~

P.S. I know this may sound noobish, but who or what is Tanabuta? ~

Tanabata is a Japanese festival that occurs around July (I think). It is about the story of the milky way and lovers. . .

As a tradition, many children write wishes down on tags (like on a jirachi's head) and then tie them onto trees in the hopes that they will be granted.

Anywho, that paras/parasect article was awesome.

I absoutely LOVE your articles.
i tell myself that i hate how long they are but asi read them i just get so interested its incredible!
my favourite so far has been the poochyena/ mighteyena just to let you know.
You are one of the best things for bulbapedia in a long time!
well done :D

Ok, this article creeps me out :S, but I still love it. Now that I think about it, what about the bulbasaur family? They also have a plant on their backs?

i really look forward to them. I can't wait for the next one. Sometimes I make my mom read them too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom