• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Poochyena and Mightyena: Investigating the inspirations beh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Poochyena and Mightyena: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Bite Pokémon, Poochyena and Mightyena.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Poochyena and Mightyena: Investigating the inspirations

Wow, what an interesting read! D: It is sad that the hyena always gets bad rep, huh? This article should clear things up!

Re: On the Origin of Species: Poochyena and Mightyena: Investigating the inspirations

I had to stop by just to say that this was a very great read. Good work on this article - I learned a lot.

It's kind of funny.. In another thread somewhere a person said they wanted a Hyena pokemon for B/W. When I reminded them of the Poocheyna line they said that they were too much like dogs - when really it sounds Game Freak did a pretty accurate portrayal of the species.

Another great article. Thanks for these. I've always found humor in how lions and hyenas seem to have been given reverse roles from those they play in nature. Thanks again :)

Thank you so much for this! Spotted hyenas are one of my favorite animals and I get real tired of hearing the bad press they get. c:

I always learn new things from these articles. I love them!

I actually learned something today... that was a pretty good read.
Guess Timon proposing to Shenzi at the end of Lion King 1 1/2 wasn't so far fetched afterall... seeing as they are closely related species.

Striped hyena is a good surmise. The ears, nose, and fur in particular are the bigger influences I see in Poocheyna and Mightyena. They carry that canine-esque look more, which I find to be a big influence in Mightyena. Howl, Bite, Roar, Swagger, Odor Sleuth... They almost want you to believe noth Poochyena and Mightyena to be drawn from wolves.

This is very cool. I had never known all of this about hyenas.

'Already knew every bit of that however it's nice to see people giving Hyenas credibility for once. They're such a nice species but no one likes then.

Figured about it, but still a good read

I enjoyed this article, but here's a tip for the writer: if you want us to "appreciate the hyena as an animal that's [...] beautiful", don't talk about female penises. Please. XD

This is a great article! :D

It's nice to see someone giving credibility to hyenas. They don't deserve the hate from ignorant people.

And it seems like GF hit Poochyena and Mightyena's hyena traits spot on. :)

I enjoyed this article, but here's a tip for the writer: if you want us to "appreciate the hyena as an animal that's [...] beautiful", don't talk about female penises. Please. XD

Believe me, I could have written paragraphs on the hyena pseudo-penis; it's one of the oddest arrangements in nature. But I decided to keep it brief. I didn't want people to feel that I was ramming penises down their throats, after all...

Believe me, I could have written paragraphs on the hyena pseudo-penis; it's one of the oddest arrangements in nature. But I decided to keep it brief. I didn't want people to feel that I was ramming penises down their throats, after all...

Hot damn ...!

This was interesting, the Pooch made me see them more as Feral Dogs then Hyena's, but I can't argue with you.

Solid work as always

While I do believe that the series does portray the species positively to a certain extent, I feel that it also fits into the stereotypical criminal view. Perhaps you overlooked it but in the Generation that they were introduced in actually has them as the antagonistic henchmen's basic pokemon akin to Zubat or Koffing.

A nice read, thanks for this :)

While I do believe that the series does portray the species positively to a certain extent, I feel that it also fits into the stereotypical criminal view. Perhaps you overlooked it but in the Generation that they were introduced in actually has them as the antagonistic henchmen's basic pokemon akin to Zubat or Koffing.

I think that might be more along the lines of predators in general are "bad" creatures then hyenas being "bad" creature though. *shrugs* Of course, that's just how I viewed it.

Never would have thought of them as hyenas. Always saw them as wolves, although seeing a magazine article about the "top 5 video game wolves" with Mightyena somewhere around #3 didn't help.

I think you are spot on with poochyena; but personally i got much more canine and lupine elements from mightyena, to me it felt lie a cross between a German shepherd and a Wolf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom