• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Shuppet and Banette.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations beh

An actual, undisclosed prize will go to the first person who can tell me what eighties cartoon series was referenced in this week's column.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Shuppet and Banette: Investigating the inspirations beh

Banette rocks. Desperately needs an evolution.

But yeah, Banette is like that doll from the movie that the children are frightened of and until the end seems rather innocent. Can't remember the name of the movie.

Unfortunately, I may have also implied that every single inanimate object in your bedroom has the potential to come to life... especially once you've turned the light off. So... sorry about that.

Time to look for my night light.

This was interesting to read. There's something that draws me to mythical folklore-y stuff, and learning about some Japanese myths was certainly different. Obviously I should read these a lot more often...

This was perfect for Halloween.

Shuppet and Banette are very interesting Pokémon. I also like mythology and folklore, so this was a great read.

And I loved the last part of the article. :)

Banette's one of my favourite Pokemon and I find Copycat owning one funny as well, though I wonder what happened to her Doduo...

You gotta love the wonderful world of youkai, right?

Interesting read, as always.

An actual, undisclosed prize will go to the first person who can tell me what eighties cartoon series was referenced in this week's column.

It's Count Duckula.

Also, to be fair, I had no idea and just searched the line which I guessed was the reference.

This was a great article. Like everyone else said, it was perfect for Halloween.

Unfortunately, I may have also implied that every single inanimate object in your bedroom has the potential to come to life... especially once you've turned the light off. So... sorry about that.

Don't worry, Toy Story and Small Soldiers did that for me a long time ago. >_<

Also, your bit about the Voodoo practices prompted me to do a bit of research. My assumption of the religion was way off. That goes to show: you can't believe everything that you see on television. :S

Finally someone notices Haiti isn't that bad!

Most of them are catholic actually. ._.

Moving on...I loved the article Bannette is definatly one of my favorite pokemon.

When I first saw Shuppet and Banette in Sapphire all those years ago, I thought they were really cool, but recently I tend to forget about them. I'm confused why Dusclops got an evolution, but Banette didn't. Thats like Purugly, Arcanine, or Wargle getting an evolution, but their counter parts don't. Strange.

Interesting again!

I actually looked all over the net for info on Voodoo dolls and Voodoo a while ago and found no such link between them, suprisingly. It struck me as strange because they're always depicted as being able to control the actions, feelings, physical wellbeing of others and are always called 'Voodoo dolls'. :p

awsome article
ever considered doing a trilobite?

It's interesting that Shuppet was partly inspired by the teru teru bozu. I never thought about that, and more interesting was that Banette wasn't really inspired by the voodoo doll, but still of something by that nature, but since voodoo dolls are the commonly known type, I guess it's basically inspired that way. It's nice to know that Japanese treasures their old stuff, on the belief that they will become alive. If computers can become alive in 100 years, now that's an interesting thought~

Thanks for reading.

I really liked how Copycat adopted a Banette.
This pokémon really caught my attention. Ever since the first Shuppet I saw killed herself with Curse. It was the first time I saw that move too!

And that's one thing about Shuppet... The placing nails on it for curses is actually from the Wara Ningyo, which are a kind of straw dolls that are impaled with nails (and possibly are the true "voodoo doll" myth). They are used in a ritual known as Ushinokokumairi, which has several purposes ranging from placing curses on enemies to having someone fall in love with you. But generally most of it has to do with strong grudges.

As for Tsukumogami, I like to have that one as a reminder to treat your possesions with love and care.
You could even extend it to pokémon. As items have souls because of how you use and treat them gives them part of your own soul... so a loved pokémon may be grateful, despite it being a bunch of electronic notes.

Last edited:

I liked Banette's origial design before it really looked like it had horns at all (spikes, whatever). It really looked more like a washed up rag-doll that was pitched, or made out of spare parts.

But in the overall scheme of things it is a good thing to take care of your possesions, however, we do need to remember that we should control these things, they should not control us (i/e-computers)

Great article!

I love the idea behind Tsukumogami, they seem so creepy and unique, both at the same time. Ah, everyday I learn something new about Japan, the land is simply fascinating. Banette is creepy as well and together with Shuppet they make ideal mascots for this years' Halloween.

Props to the writer for this article, keep it up! =)

I never saw any reference to any eighties cartoon.....

I thought it was Sailor Moon at first, then eventually reached that last line.
I'm surprised it took a search for someone to get the Duckula reference, though. Brilliant cartoon, which I could have sworn was actually quite popular. Eh, go figure.

Y'know, I more or less knew the inspiration behind Banette to begin with, but even so, I've never been able to look at it without seeing anything other than an evil Zippy :p

That said, I didn't realise 'Voodo Dolls' weren't actually related to voodoo. It's something you see in fiction so often as you grow up, that you sort of accept that skewered origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom