• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Stantler: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Stantler: Investigating the inspirations behind Pokémon

As part of an ongoing series exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Stantler.

Read more on Bulbanews

Hmm... very interesting. I never knew that. I thought that Stantler were just deer with a little extra "flare", but boy was I wrong. I never even knew about those "eyeball balloons" being used to scare birds and such. I thought they were just joke providers. But, you know, it does make sense why Stantler are so... mysterious, when you bring up that kind of comparison. A very good report. You do learn something new everyday.

Didn't expect to see Stantler be getting one of these. It was interesting, as always, and just goes to show that a lot of the more basic-looking Pokemon can have a good deal more thought put into them than it seems.

I guess its ability Intimidate could also lend more towards the antlers real life basis of scaring things, too.

Woah, you just made one of the most boring Pokémon in my book, way more interesting and likeable. Great read, as usual.

This was a very enlightening read. I always kind of figured that Stantler's mesmerizing antlers or strange powers of hypnosis had to be in reference to something, otherwise it wouldn't have had them to begin with, now it makes sense. I always kind of liked Stantler before, now I like it better now that I understand its origins better.

And once again, I'm surprised by the Pokémon's origins. Never thought that Stantler was based partly on a deer scarer. Good read as always, can't wait to read the next :)

Ooh. So glad to see Stantler here. =) My hopes have been raised! <3

Come to think, Stantler sounds roughly similar to "startle". Also could come from "stare".

At first sight it looks as one of the most "forgettable" 'mons. But surprisingly, it has some nice story to tell. Very good pick.

Huh. I had no idea that such a boring-looking Pokémon could have such an interesting background. XD

I know the name Stantler doesn't really have any connection to scaring animals off, but I also know it wasn't the only name proposed for it in English. If I remember right, Nob Ogasawara wanted to call it Scaribou.

Well, you learn something new everyday! I didn't know Stantler is based around the idea of a dear scarer. I do have to agree that Stantler seems to be rather bland, at least outwardly.

The eyeball balloon reminds me of the blue eyes known as the nazar from Turkey. Basically it's an amulet that is said to protect the wearer from the evil eye. I doubt that this is even considered as one of the inspirations, considering Pokemon is usually inspired by Japanese things.

Speaking of scarecrows, I wonder if you have Cacturne in one of your cards currently. I am going to guess that it is easy to see Cacturne the scarecrow incarnate instead, although Cacturne is not designed to be scaring crows.

It seems you have a streak of Generation 2 Pokemon now. Would you say that the Gen 2 Pokemon overall have origins that doesn't seem quite obvious that they are fascinating as a result?

Thanks for reading.

Hm, interesting. Just the other day, i was playing Animal Crossing and saw one of those bamboo-water things in it. I noticed how the game called it a "Deer Scare", and wondered about that name. I figured it must have been some translation issue, since i never really thought of those things as much more then just some garden decoration. Thank you for explaining the reason why it was called that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom