• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile: Investigating the inspiratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On the Origin of Species: Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile: Investigating the inspir

Haha, I just beat Red in my SS Version yesterday, and guess which Hoenn starter I picked? Treecko!!! Even though I think Sceptile is ugly, and would have much rather picked Torchic, but I needed a solid grass-type, and I started Johto with Cyndaquil, and picked up Charmander just before meeting with that Steven Stone guy and getting the Hoenn gecko. (I love Steven Stone, best League Champ other than Blue/Green/Gary Oak) lol

Back on the topic of the article, in my Biology class (that would be freshman Biology honors) we were learning about a special force (you know, the basics of biology and atoms and neutrons/protons/electrons) and attractions. I quote from my textbook (conveniently laying open on my lap ;D):

"When molecules are close together, a slight attraction can develop between the oppositely charged regions of nearby molecules. Chemists call such intermolecular forces of attraction 'van der Waals forces,' after the scientist who discovered them. Although van der Waals forces are not as strong as ionic bonds or covalent bonds, they can hold melecules together, especially when the molecules are large.
"...A gecko foot...is covered by as many as half a million tiny hairlike projections. Each projection is further divided into hundreds of tiny, flat-surfaced fibers. This design allows the gecko's foot to come in contact with an extremely large area of the wall at the molecular level. Van der Waals forces form between molecules on the surface of the gecko's foot and molecules on the surface of the wall. The combined strength of all the van der Waals forces allows the gecko to balance the pull of gravity. When the gecko needs to move its foot, it peels the foot off at an angle and reattaches it at another location on the wall (39; ch. 2, sec. 1)."

Citation:
Miller, Kenneth R., and Joseph Levine. "Van der Waals Forces." Biology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2004. 39. Print.

~~~~~~

To summarize what that big, smart textbook is saying, the beyond-microscopic fibers on the gecko's feet are made of atoms, and atoms are made up of protons (positively charged ions), neutrons (neutrally charged ions), and electrons (negatively charged ions). As many know, opposites attract. Likewise, the opposite is true: negatives repulse. The electrons, which float around the nucleus (protons and neutrons) interact with other electrons. In the gecko's case, the electrons of the gecko's foot interact with the electrons of the surface it is adhering to, the electrons repelling from each other. But, when the electrons arrange themselves into a certain pattern around the nucleus, that atom neutralizes itself, allowing contact between both atoms. The 'van der Waals forces' are responsible for keeping the atoms together, causing the gecko to seemingly defy gravity as it hangs onto a wall by one toe at molecular levels.

~~~~~

Aren't you guys happy I signed up three minutes ago to share this knowledge? And in typing all that out, I have studied for my science test Monday, reviewed citation methods for English class (also honors, smart me!), and taught you guys how the gecko, scientifically, sticks to any surface. Kudos for both sides! Now I have to prepare for my Algebra 2 honors test! Have a happy weekend!!!!

Re: On the Origin of Species: Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile: Investigating the inspir

I never understood how a pokemon looking like a cross between cold-blooded lizard and a tree = a speed demond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom