• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile: Investigating the inspiratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile: Investigating the inspirations behind ...

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Treecko family.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile: Investigating the inspir

Nice article.

Treecko's definitely a favorite of mine, probably since I've loved geckos since I was little...although, in actuality, I'd scream if one ever touched me. I hate touching animals. :p

You should do Nosepass/Probopass next though...so many people bash it for being a poor design but, in my opinion, it's one of the best. :(

Re: On the Origin of Species: Treecko, Grovyle and Sceptile: Investigating the inspir

Called it. But still, good article.

Great article. I love geckos and Treecko was the first Gen III Pokemon I owned, so I'm glad to see an article covering them.

I've always wondered why Sceptile has that strange tail. For being a "fast" species, it looks like the tail would slow it down and be too bulky for it to jump from branch to branch.

^me too... I thought it was slow because of its huge tail, then I saw its base speed was 120 and I was like "no way"...

anyway,
I just love reptiles... first Charmander, now Treecko line...
(I still believe Charmander looks more like a small lizard than a salamander, so don't hurry up correcting me)

It's amazing at just how similar in appearance Treecko and its real-life counterpart are; tail and all. o.o

And yet another awesome article! The suction ability of the geckos (and any wall-crawling lizards for that matter) is really a marvel, especially considering it is a work of nature. But new to me is that there are really lizards with leafy tails.

I noticed you have a great appreciation for Generation 3 Pokemon. What do you have to say about this, do they have the most relation with real life than the other ones, or you just like them in general (or other reasons)?

But people, all of the gen 3 pokemon are boring , unimaginative, and just rip-offs of gen 1 and 2. Especially Treecko since it's 'just' a charmander-bulbasaur rip-off!

/snark

Anyways, the treecko line is one of my favorites, have always loved them since its first appearance <3

Oh wow, I had no idea geckos could do that of climbing over anything. Structures smaller than light wavelengths? That's amazing.

This was a pretty good article. I quite overlooked geckos before... but these things are much more interesting than I thought! I think I have learnt my lesson, then. Don't overlook anything.

I remember some of the stuff about leaf-tailed geckos already, but still, a good article, because the Treecko line is one of my favorite Hoenn evolutionary lines.

This was another great article. I have always liked Treecko and his evolutions. I didn't know about geckos with leafy tails, that's incredible. And their ability to climb any surface is amazing, it shows us how imaginative and creative nature can be.

One of the best articles yet. I remember reading something about trying to replicate the adhesive in a National Geographic.

I've always loved lizards and especially gecko's...no surprise that the Treecko line are among my favourite Pokemon! Loved the article as always, keep up the good work! :expect:

F*** Yeah! Sceptile. My favourite Grass type and second-favourite Pokemon. How can I not love this article?

That's a good read. I've already learned about the leaf-tailed and the Kuhl's flying gecko ones but the bits about the spatulae being only 0.2 μm long is defintely news for me. Below the wavelength of visible light? That's surreal!

Hells yeah I love TED videos!

Wonderful artical, very interesting stuff lizards. Knew geckos could loose their tails, I did not know it grew back as cartalige though.

To anyone who found this interesting, they might want to look up lizards either online or in a book as they are truly facinating. The truth is that geckos and their ability to drop their tails and the micro sized hairs on their feet are only the tip of the fantastic abilities lizards have gained throughout their exsistance.
Look at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizards - for a start, but some facts I remember, ()indicates what I remember reading it belonging to;
You have the the ability to run across water (Jesus Christ lizard - a human would need to reach at least 60 miles an hour to do that due to our height, weight and feet size!)
Their ability to change colour, an ability to have multi-directional sight, and toungs that reach at least as long as their bodies (chameleons)
Being hydrophobic (Pigmy Gecko)
The ability to lay furtilised eggs so that a single female can begin the colonisation of a new area by themselves (Komodo Dragons and others).

These along with other traites that lizards as a family have make them a very interesting read all by themselves, (Komodos personaly are a must).

Even though i am scared(and somewhat disgusted by lizards), they are very interesting animals.

I've honestly been waiting for you to do one on Sceptile, just so I could say the "seeds" on it back I think are actually sporangia. I mean the tail looks kinda like a fern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom