• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspirations behind ...

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at the Turtwig family.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspira

The first Origin Story I already knew. Phew. Don't have to learn anything today.

But a good article. I loved the opening.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Turtwig, Grotle and Torterra: Investigating the inspira

So the development of the Turtwig family isn't as lazy as I thought it was.

Just imagine this infinite stack of increasing large turtles. As untrue as it is, the mere thought of it is mind-blowing.

I don't have time to read this now, but looks like a good read.

If you look at most pokemon, you'll see this, pokemon designs are not as simple as we think some are, take Dunsparce, most think its stupid, but reading bulbapedia, aside from its name, what what its based on is quite interesting:

Dunsparce is based on the mythical tsuchinoko. Similar to Bigfoot or the Chupacabra, sightings and reports appear in the Japanese media, however hard evidence is always lacking. Tsuchinoko are 30 cm to 80 cm long, with a large head and poisonous fangs. Its body is thicker than its head and tail. The noises it makes resemble squeaks, chirps and snores. Unlike real snakes, which slither from side to side, a tsuchinoko wiggles ahead in a straight line. The tsuchinoko curls its body to leap through the air. Moreover, the fact that Dunsparce, a snake-like creature, has wings also brings to mind the motif of the Feathered Serpent, a prominent deity or supernatural being in many Mesoamerican religions. In addition, Dunsparce shares some traits with bumblebees, including their stripes, tiny wings, stinger-like tail, and the fact that they burrow into the ground.

Oh my god Game Freak have actually got good inspiration.

Wow, this one I actually already knew =)

Wasnt there a boss in KH2 based of the same thing?

This one should have been obvious, considering Torterra's HGSS entry.

Ground Shaker Heartless formed by multiples of Scar's Ghost in the Pride Lands? I think so.

I remember someone saying that the new pokemon look "uninspired." but after I found this site I found that Game Freak actually does some work in creating these pokemon. I kind of figured the Turtwig family would be based on the concept of the world turtle.

Ground Shaker Heartless formed by multiples of Scar's Ghost in the Pride Lands? I think so.

Oh christ, don't remind me of that guy.

I always thought anatomically that the Turtwig family were based off of snapping turtles.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the turtle from avatar the last airbender

This is why I fell in love with Torterra after first seeing it: I instantly knew what its origin was and what it was based off. Such an idea occured to me in designing some fake Pokemon. It was one of those ideas in an ocean of miscellaneous concepts and thoughts that I had created just out of random brainstorming prior to Torterra's creation from which I wished there would actually be a design for. So BAM, here's Torterra, and I'm very glad they chose a starter as the base AND to make it Grass/Ground (a perfect fit).

Of course, they added a nice touch by turning Torterra into a small variation on the dinosaur ankylosaurus (or closely related relative). He's not ALL turtle thankfully, like Turtwig and (arguably) Grotle. Just seeing this powerful creature makes you think, "damn, he must have a great defense."

Instantly when I saw Torterra I thought he was based off of Genbu, the northern holy beast of Kyoto. Mostly because of Digimon depicting his digimon version as a giant two headed tortoise with a giant tree on the back of his shell. And now I'm trying to imagine torterra with an Irish brogue...

I only thought of Discworld, but it is cool to know that that was from somewhere to.

200px-Groundshaker.png

I remember first seeing Torterra and remembering some of the Native American myths about turtles forming islands. It's cool how so many different cultures have variations on the same story.

ThisPleasesGaga.jpg
]Mother monster loves the article.
I love the article, since I really like Torterra.

Last edited:

Ebonwumon from Digimon was the first incarnation of the Gaia Tortoise that I ever knew, Digimon made roughly 2000 character designs while pokemon only did a little more than 151 at the start.
What puzzles me is that I know they are both in Japanese culture, but Ebonwumon has 2 trees, 2 heads. While Torterra has a tree and some mountains, but neither has any water on them.

And I guess Torterra comepletes the 4 gods too...Ho-oh, Raikou (argueable), Rayquaza, and Torterra.

PS-I named my first Torterra Gamera :D

Uh... Not to be a dick or anything, but aren't all these a
Origin articles just fan-wank? Admittedly, they offer up some interesting and surprising theories as to the inspiration of certain odd-looking Pokemon, but do any of them actually cite any actual sources, like articles or something where someone from GF actually confirms that this was the idea behind a certain Pokemon? Who's to say that GF really wasn't just strapped for a new Grass starter back during the early days of GenIV production (and honestly, I think this every time I've seen a Grass starter, even back in GenI), and Sugimori didn't just say "Fuck it. Here's a turtle with a tree on it's back. Go nuts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom