• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Venipede, Whirlipede and Scolipede: Investigating the inspi

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
On the Origin of Species: Venipede, Whirlipede and Scolipede: Investigating the inspirations ...

In another column exploring the likely cultural and zoological origins of Pokémon species, we take a look at Venipede, Whirlipede and Scolipede.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: On the Origin of Species: Venipede, Whirlipede and Scolipede: Investigating the i

Alright, another article!

I agree that when I did some investigation on these Pokemon, I find it funny how they are a blend on centipedes and millipedes, despite them being more "centipede". Perhaps more fascinating is that Scolipede is a rather fast Pokemon for its size, like the centipede. Still, it's an interesting fact that insects need spiracles for respiration.

(Anyway, to Bikini Miltank, are you following up with Leavanny's family?)

Thanks for reading.

Re: On the Origin of Species: Venipede, Whirlipede and Scolipede: Investigating the i

(Anyway, to Bikini Miltank, are you following up with Leavanny's family?)

Not immediately, but the Leavanny family are definitely on the list. I plan on doing an older Pokémon for the next article.

Great article. We just covered arthropods in biology and I found it very interesting the differences between centipedes and millipedes. I felt smart knowing all the stuff he said. Normally I ignore Bug Pokemon but after reading this I might take a closer look at some!

Great article. Always love these.

Ooh god, bugs in Pokemon look so cool, but real life ones are so gross. D8; Oh god, that huge bug at the end of the article...eep! OTL

As always, though, a nice read! D8 I never knew there was a difference between centi- and milli-pedes until now.

...Excuse me while I go curl up and cry out of fear from the idea of a 2.5 meter death machine D:

Hello everyone. Just joined but have been on the site for a while.
Great Article George. I guessed they might be based on those but thanks for shining some light on it.
P.S Anyone have Pokemon Black because I have White and I would love to see black city.
Friend Code: 2365 4958 8851

Wow, great article!
The giant thing was the one I saw the footprints of when I lived in Scotland 10 years ago!

I like reading these articles. One thing's for certain...good thing that beast is on my side.

I never knew how complex centipedes and millipedes were or how different they are from each other. Both Venipede with its evolutions and their origins are quite fascinating in a way. It's interesting how they draw inspiration from both centi- and millipedes.

Though, admittedly, both can be quite creepy. Imagine an encounter with the Arthropleura.

Interesting article. I didn't know much about the difference between a centipede and a millipede until now.

Superb article, I really enjoyed the part about the differences in centipedes and millipedes, I always just thought of them as variations of the same species (Always thought woodlouce were part of the same family too, until today).
Though I must say, I would love to have seen an Arthropleura in real life, just imagine what a sight that would be. With a bit of luck it would not be chasing me at the time though...
Thank-you again for the new found insight.

Thank you for writing this! Biology intrigues me, so it's always pleasant reading your articles. :)

It's extremely interesting learning a few contrasts between these two species. I never gave much thought to what makes centipedes and millipedes different. If somebody ever asks me with which I'd rather race, I know now to say millipede. xD

Many millipede species can secrete a poisonous substance from their exoskeleton, but this is designed as a defense mechanism against insects, and poses little threat to us bigger animals. In fact, Capuchin monkeys have been known to deliberately irritate millipedes and then rub the poison they produce onto their skin to repel mosquitoes.

I think I found this part of the article most interesting. Maybe we could implement this substance into some sort of bug repellent in the future (if we haven't already).

Nasty bugs. I knew from the before that centipedes were the ones with all the predatory habits. But the fact that they're fast adds a whole new layer to the fear factor...

It was a nice read like always and I learned a few things about bugs too.

Aw, lookit the cute little arthropods. :3

Horray, I love these :D
I was reading this is philosophy, I think its really interesting :)

It's always good to see one of my favorite Pokemon to get the spotlight.

Nice read,as always. ^_^

Awesome article. I took a look at Centipedes earlier today at my local zoo. I too hope that there will be a new pokemon based off a woodlouse.

This is the first time I've heard about Arthropleura, and after doing a search through google images... Lets just say that I'm glad it's extinct. xD

arthropleura_1.jpg

Here's a neat size comparison for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom