• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Once Off or Multiple Plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaf-green

Reaction score
When you get a new game, do you generally play it through once completely or do you have multiple run throughs to experience every aspect?
Some might feel it's a waste to play a game once while others might feel the experience isn't the same once all the initial surprise and excitement is gone.

Depends on the game. Adventure games I play like once and then a long time later again. Games like FIFA, you can just pick up and play and the experience kind of changes.

Some games I play multiple times to get all the different trophies/achievements like visual novel games. Some games I play multiple time just because I love them so much like Final Fantasy X. There aren't many games I haven't played at least twice after buying them.

I usually try to play a good game that I have twice. The first time as an initial runthrough to see how it roughly goes and to gauge if I like it or not. The second time to see if I could improve any aspect of me playing from the first runthrough.

It gets especially true for RPGs or games with lots of choices/customisation, like pokemon or even other online games.

I usually play through a game multiple times, if it's an ok game I'll play it again a few years later. If it's a game that I like I'll try and 100% complete it on my next play.

When I get new games I generally do multiple runs, especially if the game I'm playing is really fun. Sometimes I get games that look fun, but I only play through once because it wasn't what I expected it to be or it started out great but got boring halfway through, then I'll finish it and not play it again.

Straight-forward platformers from the NES era I'll typically play just once through. However, I'll play through my favorites many times just to get better. It's more for bragging rights, really. Those games also take less than 1-2 hours to beat so it's easy to go back and finish mutliple times.

If a game lasts longer than 5 hours, it really depends. I have to really love the game to play multiple times. Nine times out of ten I'll finish a game at least once, regardless of how I feel about it.

Depends what game it is, with Pokémon I usually buy both versions of a release, play through one and keep it as a main game, and then use the other as a multiple play game, and it's even better now with Bank 'cause I can just move them over when I want to start again.

If it's not Pokémon, I generally do enjoy multiple plays of other games and have more fun doing that.

Yeah, what @Jolty94 said, re: Pokemon.

I mostly prefer games with a lot of replay value - either because you get new trophies, alternate endings, can develop different weapons/relationships and thus alter the story or characters, etc. If I have a game where if I play it once, then play it again and I can't change or affect anything, or do anything new, I feel let down.

I see replaying most games in a similar way to re-reading a novel. To me, "replay value" is how much I can enjoy running through the game again, not because there're alternate endings or things like that, but because I just enjoyed it so much that I want to do it again.

depends on the game
in visual novels like ace attorney with little to no replay value. I go once off, same goes for most pokemon games as I hate resetting saves there (exception being diamond)
if it's an immersive RPG like Kingdom Hearts or Undertale, even if I go for the same result, I still replay it to get nostalgia.

Depends on the game. Usually multiple plays.

It depends on how much I enjoyed my first playthrough. I can play most Final Fantasy games multiple times because I just like to go through the adventure again and experience the story another time, for example, and Skies of Arcadia I playthrough pretty much annually. If a game has PSN trophies, that also encourages multiple playthroughs sometimes if I think I can 100% it with few issues.

Well, I have a lot of games I haven't even played through to the end. I used to replay FireRed and Sapphire over and over, and it felt worth it. Now I play once through a Pokemon game and that's it.

To be honest I'd try to aim for multiple plays, but thing is when I pick up a game I seem to overwhelm myself and try to do everything the first play through which results in me not beating my games half the time.

I do however play a game multiple times if I enjoyed the story, or if it's the sort of game where you can choose the path you take. So I'm really just echoing everyone else, but it does depend on the game.

There have been a few games that I didn't regret playing through the end for the experience, but wouldn't ever care to go through again because the actual gameplay, or whatever aspect it may be, just wasn't the most fun for me. But in general, if it's a game I really like, I'll definitely play it again.

And of course, games with high replay value that were designed to be played through multiple times are a must. For instance: If you play Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age: Origins only once, you truly have not experienced everything the games have to offer. Games with achievements are another way to encourage multiple playthroughs.

But again, if the game is really good and a lot of fun, I'll happily replay it, regardless.

I'd say that I rarely, if ever, play through an entire game more than once. For most games, it just doesn't feel the same playing it again as it does with the first experience, especially if the game has a strong story (because not knowing what's going to happen is a big part of the enjoyment for me). That said, I'm more likely to play a game over again if it's a game that I haven't played in a long time. Also, if a game is really good, I'll usually go back to it just to mess around in a favorite level or two for fun, or to search for all of the little secrets and extras that the game has to offer. And with some of my more favorite games - especially platformers and racers - I may even try to go for 100 percent completion, or close enough to it to say that I truly completed the game.

Mostly I'll play the game once through, and then move on to something else. However, if, at some point down the line, I feel like picking the game up and playing it again, then I will. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who hates to delete their first playthrough, since it'll hold a lot of sentimental value, and will generally be saved right before the final boss, which is often times a great thing to just experience again. This makes it difficult for me to replay a game with only one save slot.

It depends on the game. If it's a game that gives you lots of options of what characters to use and what paths to take, then if I liked it I'll replay it and try different things. If it's a very long game, I play through it once and then maybe replay it after a few years.

Well, it depends on three things, the first being whether I actually want to finish it in the first place. After all, how can one replay something they have no desire to play through once?

For games that I do finish, however, the second thing that effects my decision to replay it is the ratio of the game's replay value to how much content's in the thing, since if you play a game with a lot of content that doesn't do too much different for those replaying it *coughXenobladeChroniclescough* then there isn't really much point to a second palythrough unless you really want to see that stuff again for whatever reason, while a game with, say, a class system/multiple playable characters Etrian Odyssey games, for example will naturally have replay value since those characters/classes/whatever give players a new way to play the game and all that.

The third thing, however, is if there'd be some reason not to replay the thing and instead just keep chugging along with the same save file I've already got. After all, if you've invested over 200 hours into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (and probably some more into how to get various items and such) like I have, then why would one have any reason to start from square one?

...Though I have been known to start from scratch every now and then when I'm bored, that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom