• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia One Night Ultimate Werewolf Mafia - Endgame

Endgame
D4 Votals
CyanideCrystal I - jdthebud

CyanideCrystal has been lynched, they were the Tanner
CyanideCrystal has won the round

Congrats to prog rocker and jdthebud for winning the game

Now first of all, I would like to apologise for the sub-par hosting. One of my biggest issues was not being able to have a perfectly consistent hosting time.
I feel like this affected you guys as well in terms of activity, which only made worse for me as well... forming a constant positive loop.

I also feel like players were not able to adapt to the different format, causing confusion and inactivity by not knowing what to do.

I appreciate you all signing up for this, but honestly, this was a disaster which I considered ending after N2 already.

CyanideCrystal has been lynched, they were the Tanner
I appreciate you all signing up for this, but honestly, this was a disaster which I considered ending after N2 already.
I assume you're considering the game over then? Honestly, DW... the role swapping thing kinda killed it for me. Not only was I not notified that my wincon had changed last round, but this round my investigative power was rendered invalid... due to role swapping, I assume.

A little bit of predictability would be nice, and role swapping probably should take priority over investigative roles. Players should also be notified over a wincon change (Which is normally considered a bastard game mechanic), so that they aren't playing against their own wincon as I was last round, and I'm guessing TCF would have been this round.

I don't think it's a bad game concept. I think it just needs some improvements. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I assume you're considering the game over then? Honestly, DW... the role swapping thing kinda killed it for me. Not only was I not notified that my wincon had changed last round, but this round my investigative power was rendered invalid... due to role swapping, I assume.

A little bit of predictability would be nice, and role swapping probably should take priority over investigative roles. Players should also be notified over a wincon change (Which is normally considered a bastard game mechanic), so that they aren't playing against their own wincon as I was last round, and I'm guessing TCF would have been this round.

I don't think it's a bad game concept. I think it just needs some improvements. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Not sure if you knew this, but Darth didn't make this game up, it's an actual game called One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Each round is meant to be like 10 minutes in a real life session.

The lack of notification of change in wincon is intentional and a core element of the game. You don't get to know if your role has changed, unless you are the Insomniac role The players are meant to discuss and work together to figure out what roles, if any, were swapped. Unfortunately, this game suffered mightily from a lack of activity, which is essential for it to function correctly.

It might be interesting to play a more traditional mafia game with roles that are based on some of the more wacky ONUW roles though.

I don't know how to feel, considering I won for the second time in a War Room game by pure luck. And I also ask people to forgive me for the cowardy play the penultimate night.

If I win by luck for the third time I'll change my avatar to Luckyman (which wouldn't be good for me).

Not sure if you knew this, but Darth didn't make this game up, it's an actual game called One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Each round is meant to be like 10 minutes in a real life session.
No, But Darth is the one that tried to make it forum compatible.
The lack of notification of change in wincon is intentional and a core element of the game.
And that's a fatal flaw. I'm sorry, but that's just how I saw it. Wincon changing would be considered a bastard mechanic at the best of times, but failure to notify the player that their wincon has changed is a super bastard mechanic.

You don't get to know if your role has changed,
This is also a problem.

You can disagree if you want, and say "That's how the real life game is played" but to be honest, I nearly refused to play this last round because of the unfairness of the round before it. I figured I'd give Darth another chance... and then we had the problem that my role results weren't even valid because they were processed before the role change.

Unfortunately, this game suffered mightily from a lack of activity, which is essential for it to function correctly.
I can agree with this. It's a major problem we have in TWR, and I believe each round here only had one or two votes at the most (too lazy to check).

No, But Darth is the one that tried to make it forum compatible.

And that's a fatal flaw. I'm sorry, but that's just how I saw it. Wincon changing would be considered a bastard mechanic at the best of times, but failure to notify the player that their wincon has changed is a super bastard mechanic.

This is also a problem.

You can disagree if you want, and say "That's how the real life game is played" but to be honest, I nearly refused to play this last round because of the unfairness of the round before it. I figured I'd give Darth another chance... and then we had the problem that my role results weren't even valid because they were processed before the role change.

I can agree with this. It's a major problem we have in TWR, and I believe each round here only had one or two votes at the most (too lazy to check).
I'm not saying that a secret change in win-con isn't normally a bastard mechanic in a regular mafia game, but I think it's important to understand that this is not a regular mafia game, but is meant to be as close to the original game as possible, and it's clearly stated in the rules that your role may change. Sorry to hear that it affected your enjoyment of the game though. I do agree that this game works better IRL because it's much shorter and thus it's easier to quickly move on from a frustrating result.

I do agree that this game works better IRL because it's much shorter and thus it's easier to quickly move on from a frustrating result.
IRL also has the advantage of being able to see a person and use body and facial language to try to judge if they are lying.

Forum games have what I'm going to call the "fog of war". If you tell me you changed my role, I have no way to judge if you are lying to me. Words on a page convey no tone, they have no facial or body language, and it's very hard to judge if you are telling the truth.

To be honest, this fog of war presented a similar problem to the secret eevee game I hosted a year or so ago. Like this game, Secret Eevee's real life counterpart relies on being able to judge a person based on more than just their words. Not sure if we could ever make a 100% forum compatible version of that game due to the fog of war.

Could this game compensate for the fog of war? I think so, with a bit of host intervention.

I'm going to say fog of war one more time, just to bring my fog of war quote to its limit.

Part of the fun is in trying to figure out what your identity is in addition to everyone else's. Typically when I play this game IRL, actions are mandatory, and I personally think that would have gone a long way to making the game and the alignment changes more legitimate and less "bastard." I also think that the "mafia" tag on the thread title is a bit misleading, ONUW is SIMILAR to mafia but I would not characterize them as the exact same in any way.

I admit, I was being a bit of a troll in this game too, and for that I apologize. For real though, claiming Mason is always the best move to do when playing this game IRL :p it's like always claiming Merlin when playing Avalon, if you've ever played that.

Overall, I do like the concept of ONUW and like Darth, it's one of the games that got me into social deduction games like Mafia in the first place and could definitely be used as a stepping stone before the real thing. I had fun in the limited amount of time I could spend with this game.

Yeah I think I already mentioned this in your pm, but not mentioning that role swapping was a big part of this game in the OP was my mistake.
As for things like, not being notified on being swapped or what role should take priority, those are just the rules of the original game. Which I'm not going to adjust. The main thing in this game lies in the mystery of the night actions and what happened at night. That's why it's important to als ofigure out if you have been swapped or not.
It might be interesting to play a more traditional mafia game with roles that are based on some of the more wacky ONUW roles though.
That would be interesting
and then we had the problem that my role results weren't even valid because they were processed before the role change.
They are still valid in the sense of knowing what Caps was. If someone says that they (just an example btw) were the troublemaker and swapped Caps with someone else then you know what that other person has become and can warn the group about it. It's still useful info.
IRL also has the advantage of being able to see a person and use body and facial language to try to judge if they are lying.

Forum games have what I'm going to call the "fog of war". If you tell me you changed my role, I have no way to judge if you are lying to me. Words on a page convey no tone, they have no facial or body language, and it's very hard to judge if you are telling the truth.

To be honest, this fog of war presented a similar problem to the secret eevee game I hosted a year or so ago. Like this game, Secret Eevee's real life counterpart relies on being able to judge a person based on more than just their words. Not sure if we could ever make a 100% forum compatible version of that game due to the fog of war.

Could this game compensate for the fog of war? I think so, with a bit of host intervention.

I'm going to say fog of war one more time, just to bring my fog of war quote to its limit.
How does this FoW affect those irl games transformed into forum games differently than the standard mafia games here. It's the same effect.
How would you as host compensate for that?
I also think that the "mafia" tag on the thread title is a bit misleading, ONUW is SIMILAR to mafia but I would not characterize them as the exact same in any way.
I gave a description of the game a while back on the discord server, asking people what a better category would be. They said Mafia.
For real though, claiming Mason is always the best move to do when playing this game IRL
As an irl player, I still disagree with this

How does this FoW affect those irl games transformed into forum games differently than the standard mafia games here. It's the same effect.
How would you as host compensate for that?
Standard mafia games have a lot of host feedback. I don’t think Secret Eevee can compensate for this, but ONUW could with a bit of additional host feedback.
If i were the host, i would let players know if their wincon changes, at the very least. It was extremely disappointing to think i’d won a round, only to find out my wincon had changed.

gave a description of the game a while back on the discord server, asking people what a better category would be. They said Mafia.

I think this one is similar to secret eevee. That game was tagged non-mafia. But i wonder if a third tag... mafia-like... would be more appropriate than either of those.

Back
Top Bottom