• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh One save per cartridge...?

Zurqoxn

Reaction score
Like the older gens, or 1 save per Nintendo account like Lets Go? Do we know yet or do I have to wait until release day?

Wouldn’t you be able to just have multiple saves on different accounts...?

@Zurqoxn This was a question I asked months ago, around the reveal of the games, since, at the time, I didn't own a switch, so I didn't know how it functions. However, now that I own one (two, actually, thanks to a relative), I've learned that you get one save file per "user accounts". So, if you have 3 user accounts, you can have 3 save files of the same game. On top of that, you cannot save ANY data on the game cartridges now, as they no longer have that function, making them completely different from DS/3DS games. This is true for ALL switch games, as all saved data is stored on the switch itself. So, you can rest easy knowing that you can have as many save files as you'd like, one per "user", just like LGPE.

@Zurqoxn This was a question I asked months ago, around the reveal of the games, since, at the time, I didn't own a switch, so I didn't know how it functions. However, now that I own one (two, actually, thanks to a relative), I've learned that you get one save file per "user accounts". So, if you have 3 user accounts, you can have 3 save files of the same game. On top of that, you cannot save ANY data on the game cartridges now, as they no longer have that function, making them completely different from DS/3DS games. This is true for ALL switch games, as all saved data is stored on the switch itself. So, you can rest easy knowing that you can have as many save files as you'd like, one per "user", just like LGPE.
That means I can do nuzlockes and other replays without losing my main game data? AWESOME.

I wonder if this is the reason why the GTS got deleted, as you could get every Pokemon except version exclusives exploiting that.

That means I can do nuzlockes and other replays without losing my main game data? AWESOME.

I wonder if this is the reason why the GTS got deleted, as you could get every Pokemon except version exclusives exploiting that.

That is indeed correct. However, I'm not 100% sure about how to delete previous game data. So, say, for example, your nuzlocke failed and you want to retry. I'm not totally sure how deleting old save data works in this case. I don't know if there's a certain button combo you press like in the past to pull up the "delete saved data" screen or if you have to manually delete it from whichever user it's under via the main screen. So, that part I'm not sure of, but, at the very least, we now, at last, have multiple save files, albeit in an unconventional way. As for the GTS, that's actually a good question. Hadn't thought about that, though I never use the GTS anyway, so whatever the reasons, it's probably better it's gone in case such actions are possible.

Couldn't they just restrict it so that you can't trade on the GTS with someone else on your wifi network? That would prevent anyone from doing that, and people accessing the same wifi with two Switches should be able to do a local trade. Plus, Home would still have that same exploit, wouldn't it?

I,too, am elated that I can play both my main game and a Nuzlocke (except a Generationslocke but whatever) on all my Switch without having to delete anything. My little brother can have his own account too! :D

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom