• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

One, Two, Three (Version 2)

Also am I the only one who's noticed that the OP mirrors Gou's Team with Ash's?

b5f876d8502c846ae97a352a6a335fc2.png

-Raboot is Gou's Pikachu equivalent (Both are Ash and Gou first Pokémon, Stays outside it's Pokeball at all times, etc)

-Scyther is Gou's G. Farfetch'd equivalent (Both are 2-Staged Power Houses that evolve through "Special" means and both are also primarily used for Training)

-Sobble is Gou's Riolu equivalent (Yes I know how that sounds but both are Blue Pokémon that are caught in their "Baby" stages and walk around outside of their Pokeballs alongside the two Starters Pikachu and Raboot. They also both evolve into Speedy Pokémon that attack from long ranged distances)

Judging by this Flygon will be Gou's Dragonite and Heracross will be Gou's Gengar.
(Flygon and Dragonite are both Dragons so that's already a similarities right there lol)

Whoever gets Grookey, the other Trainer will have their own equivalent to Grookey. But what Pokémon could work as an equivalent to Grookey?

Last edited:
The Aerodactyl belongs to Go, if anyone (it honestly seems random). Pikachu attacks it.

Whoever gets Grookey, the other Trainer will have their own equivalent to Grookey. But what Pokémon could work as an equivalent to Grookey?
Just about anyone if Heracross and Gengar are considered counterparts. Anyway, Eevee is the most likely candidate based on merchandise (then there are the Kanto starters, but they're reserves and obviously a trio). And I think it's pretty clear that Grookey will be an afterthought compared to the other two.

WOW what an opening!

Is it weird that my very first reaction to seeing the Alola gang was "yay, Mallow's not alone anymore!" :bulbaLove:

But yes, that's the major thing I took away from the opening. I was sooo excited to see them pop up! Selfishly, I was hoping for more than one set of former characters to show up, but since it was the Alola squad (who I absolutely adore) I'll take it. I could also see this scene being one within the opening that's changed as other characters are getting ready to show up, and the Alola gang is just up first. I also don't believe that because we didn't see Kukui and Burnet in the opening doesn't mean we won't see them at all. It'd honestly be crazy for Ash to go to Alola, see all his friends, and not see them. I personally think they're probably just keeping it a secret because of the whole pregnancy angle. All I know is I'll riot if we don't get them, lol.

Second thing that stood out most to me was Chloe. Partially because I just really love her, but also because it does seem that she's starting to show more interest in what Ash and Goh are doing. I don't know if I want her to do a total 180 and travel all the time, but I think it'd be great if she joined them on some adventures from time to time.

Cool to see that it looks like the Darkest Day plot will be implemented. It does seem like Ash and Goh are taking the place of the player character and Hop, which would make sense since they've been marketed as "co-protagonists" from the start. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Galar since it is the newest region.

Poke-Instagram is the funniest thing I've ever seen. Loved that little scene with Leon and Raihan!

The Rocket Prize Master being in the opening made me cringe. I was really hoping we'd be rid of that thing at some point. What a disappointment that it appears to be sticking around with no signs of actual Rocket Pokemon joining in...

I wasn't totally surprised to see Cinderace and Lucario, since we've seen a lot of merchandise for both and I felt both those evolutions were kind of inevitable regardless. I'm still hoping they don't rush them the way Scorbunny's evolution was and those are still a little ways off, though.

I was also more interested in seeing any potential Ash captures than Goh (which is nothing against Goh...it's just since his goal is to catch every Pokemon no capture of his really surprises me) and then they bust out what looks like Goh catching Zapdos...lol. Truthfully, I'm 50/50 on that being real or it being bait. I don't love the idea of Goh catching a legendary Pokemon, but the way this series has been going so far, it wouldn't really shock me.

I'm actually wondering if generation 8 is going to be short and that's why the anime seems to be moving at such a fast clip.
That would be an interesting development, although I'm not sure if it would be beneficial for the video games or Game Freak for that matter. It might also depend on what other main series games we'll get down the road. Journeys isn't specifically focused on promoting Sword/Shield, but it is clearly still a priority to some degree given the number of Galar Pokemon and characters that have appeared and focused within this opening. I can't really see the generation being that short myself.

Daren said:
Personally, I feel that doing Hop's arc properly would require him to be a main character, so I think it's better to leave him out than to mishandle his story. I do wonder if Ash is getting a variation on it since he seems to be going on a defeat spiral after a strong start like Hop had in the games? Ash is even a research assistant now and Hop decided to become a professor, though I don't see them taking Ash that far

Yeah, I'm not sure how well they could handle Hop's storyline if he didn't already appear by now. It is a bit sad and also strange considering that Leon is his older brother too. Ash getting a variation of Hop's storyline is an interesting theory and that could be the case.

[quote='Daren"]I actually want their kid to have been born so the show's weird sliding timeline can keep on getting weirder. ;)
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Burnet didn't really look pregnant when she said goodbye to Ash, but then she was starting to show suddenly during the brief epilogue. The concept of time in this universe is already beyond weird, so having Professor Kukui and Burnet with their baby by the time they get to Alola while Ash is still ten would be pretty fitting all things considered.

Why do I feel the darkest day will come soon?

Usually openings last almost a year unless there is some variaton. (We had the outdated Best Wishes opening for almost two years) Sun Moon first opening lasted from November 2016 to March 2018.

So the Darkest day can happen between november 2020 and April 2021. However this is just a thesis.

When Raboot and Riolu evolve it means that the day is near

The new arrangement is good. I think I have a different understanding of what "rock" means though, and this ain't it.

The new animation sequence is way more interesting than the previous one, but it still feels kinda lackluster. Maybe I'm just not a big fan of the "slideshow" scenes or generic character shots, and I think over half of the opening was just that.

That would be an interesting development, although I'm not sure if it would be beneficial for the video games or Game Freak for that matter.
A different idea occurred to me later when I suddenly remember that the Nihilego plotline occurred about a year into Sun and Moon. Possibly they want to do the Darkest Day fairly early as well, and I can see good reasons for that; that helps avoid running into the next generation and having to rush things--maybe after (by the directors admission) XYZ had to get rushed they're trying to finish up the major plotlines earlier now.

Additionally, it also looks like Ash may be entering the Galar League after all, and with the lower emphasis on travel time now they could perhaps have the league occur sometime in the late second or early third year, then focus on Gou's captures and the World Championship while waiting for the next series. Maybe they'll have Ash win the Galar League (and defeat Leon there instead) and then lose in the PWC to someone else, possibly a gen 9 character.

I was thinking the same thing. Burnet didn't really look pregnant when she said goodbye to Ash, but then she was starting to show suddenly during the brief epilogue. The concept of time in this universe is already beyond weird, so having Professor Kukui and Burnet with their baby by the time they get to Alola while Ash is still ten would be pretty fitting all things considered.
My #1 wish is for Max to show up as a ten year old with Ralts at some point and Ash is still ten, too. That would be a perfect final scene in the show, IMO.

Dont worry in Alola it is gona get some pumelling, Maybe it wont get destroyed but a good beating is in order.

Do your magic Bewear.
I know many people don't like the Prize Master, but it's unlikely it'll be going anywhere until Journeys is over. So maybe tone down the hate speeches a little?

Also, I'm fairly sure that even if TR follows Ash to Alola and Bewear appears, the machine will more likely just be sent flying instead of getting broken.

I know many people don't like the Prize Master, but it's unlikely it'll be going anywhere until Journeys is over. So maybe tone down the hate speeches a little?

Also, I'm fairly sure that even if TR follows Ash to Alola and Bewear appears, the machine will more likely just be sent flying instead of getting broken.

Hate speech when talking of a machine.

Now I have heard it all.

I can't dislike Go, I cannot hate the gatcha. I cannot make jokes about the gatcha getting destroyed cause someone might get offended.

Tell me what I can like and I cannot dislike exactly please.

I hate the Gatcha cause it kills everything Team Rocket standed for the last 20 years. It kills the moments that I enjoyed with Team Rocket for the last 20 years, I cried when Dustox was released, I cried when Chimecho left, I smiled when Inkay was captured, I feel sad for poor Mimmikyu when he lost his rag and more moments.

And I will continue to hate it every second it appears I dont care it's all the series,I dont care you know why?

Cause I love Team Freaking Rocket.

So during atleast two years and a half you will hear me rambling about the gatcha.

The opening started as a faithful remake of the original, until it showed amazing scenes of the second half. Definitely a step up over the first one and possibly my favorite in years. I loved the focus on the boys' teams as well as the spoilers.

• The vocals are fine, they are pleasing to hear specially in the first verses.
  • It was weird to see only the legendary duos, without their third member.
  • Its clear that Goh will probably take an interest in Zapdos. However I doubt he'll catch it on its debut, perhaps after a few episodes.
  • The Flygon wars have ended, but now the Aerodactyl wars have begun. It receives an attack from Pikachu so it's more likely that it's Goh's.
  • Gigantamax-Pikachu's scene being about a battle he already had makes me think that there won't be any Dynamax battles soon.
  • Darkest Day is happening, and it seems they'll have to awaken the wolves like in the games. Episodes 45-50 is my guess. It's weird to see an opening intentionally taking place in two different time periods.
  • ALOLA GANG IS BACK! Wow, didn't expect to see them at once. Hopefully each one of them receives decent focus and maybe a team change. It's very likely we'll finally see the end of Lillie's story some time later.
  • MAAAAARSHTOOOOOOOMP!!!!!! The God is here, finally the writers realized its potential. My guess is that it's some kind of Goodbye Raboot followup.
  • Chloe has less focus than in V1, she doesn't even has a shot for herself. I doubt she'll join the group in the immediate future.

I love to have the image of the man posing as my signature. I have to get the screenshot by pausing the video quickly.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom