• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

One, Two, Three (Version 3)

Here's a thought I've been having: what if the whole "roadtrip" thing is just symbolic, and not actually what's going to happen? As in, reflecting the "world tour" aspect of the series.

That would be pretty disappointing. Why make it symbolic, especially when it wouldn't really reflect the world tour aspect that strongly to begin with? Fortunately, I think that it's pretty unlikely that they're going that route. I can't see them designing Leon's Charizard car or devoting that much focus in the new opening them for something that is just a symbolic.

That would be pretty disappointing. Why make it symbolic, especially when it wouldn't really reflect the world tour aspect that strongly to begin with? Fortunately, I think that it's pretty unlikely that they're going that route. I can't see them designing Leon's Charizard car or devoting that much focus in the new opening them for something that is just a symbolic.
Plus, why is Leon there at all? Seems odd to have him traveling if it didn't mean anything.
At least Shuckle, Karrablast and Dewpider confirm Alola, Johto and Unova episodes coming up.
How? All three are in the Galar Dex. And nothing in that scene confirms any of those Pokemon belong to anyone.

Still, openings have made symbolic imagery before that did not appear in the actual show numerous times. The previous version of this opening alone had animation dedicated to Ash, Go, Leon, and Raihan taking selfies with their Pokémon (which didn't happen) and Riolu training with Farfetch'd (which didn't happen). Not saying you are, but I think it's a good idea to not necessarily think everything we see in an opening or ending as canon or coming into fruition within the show at some point.

That aside, I really like the song so I don't mind another rendition; while I like this one better than the second iteration, the first is still the best in my opinion. The animation is also quite fantastic, as many other users have noted. I like how this opening, along with the previous episode teasers, indicate Koharu will acquire a Galarian Ponyta at some point.

They were? Do you have a source for this?

- I've seen them mentioned as an inspiration for the Time Bokan villains who are usually acknowledged as an influence on TR.
- Back in the early 2000s there was a site with English translations of info from a staff member (might have been Yuyama or Shudo) that mentioned them (I specifically remember it mentioning Meowth being inspired by Muttley). It wasn't up very long before it got C&D'd.

Still, openings have made symbolic imagery before that did not appear in the actual show numerous times. The previous version of this opening alone had animation dedicated to Ash, Go, Leon, and Raihan taking selfies with their Pokémon (which didn't happen) and Riolu training with Farfetch'd (which didn't happen). Not saying you are, but I think it's a good idea to not necessarily think everything we see in an opening or ending as canon or coming into fruition within the show at some point.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for openings to have symbolic scenes, but just that there is way too much time devoted to the road trip for it to just be something fun or not hinting at some future setup. Asn and Goh taking selfies with Leon and Raihan was more clearly just something fun for the previous version, although the Riolu training with Farfetch'd is a better example of something that looks like it would happen only for it to be something cool for the opening.

I'm aware that not everything we see in an opening or ending will come into the show. I don't think we're going to get Ash vs. Goh because of Lucario vs. Cinderace in the opening. With the amount of focus on the road trip throughout the bulk of the opening, the notion that it is just symbolic doesn't really make sense to me. Why bother including Leon as the driver or giving him a Charizard car if it's just for the opening? They already have moments of hyping Ash vs. Leon in the new version, so they didn't need to include him more if that was the case. It isn't impossible, but it just seems highly unlikely at the moment that the road trip is just symbolic.

I don't think it's been shared here yet, but we finally have an official full version for One, Two, Three (Version 3):

View: https://youtu.be/nX6-TGFwBcQ

I definitely like this better than Version 2, but I am still undecided on whether I like Version 1 or Version 3 more.

Is the car trip with Leon actually a thing that’s happening? With the Project Mew trailer not showing anything like it, I have a feeling it was just for show and was never actually going to happen. I’m surprised no one is talking about it.
I doubt it. A lot of other anime openings (and I'm sure some past Pokemon ones that are just slipping my mind right now) will have their own little story in them that's not actually representative of anything that happens in the show. The road trip does look cool, but I think it was just something to get across the "world tour" aspect visually.

Why do you think that the third version of the opening animation lack its second variant that replaces Ash's Farfetch'd with its fully-evolved Sirfetch'd form?

We are fed up with the same 1 2 3 opening theme with version 3. Why they didn't have to change the new one every week? First episode 73: Captain Pikachu! Advance, Tairetsu!! and then episode 74: Darkrai - A Midsummer Night's Dream. It cannot remain the same version 3 as the old ones forever, we want the new version 4 to be changed as new opening.
We love change version 4.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom