• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Oneshot Competition Chat Thread (Summer 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't know how good my progress is. With two weeks to go I'm getting a little nervy about getting the story finished on time. I think I'm about two-thirds of the way through ... either way I think it would be sensible to do a day or two of devoted writing just to get the words down.

The flipside is that through regular beta'ing and my habit of editing as I go (Sure, doing less of it, but it's a hard habit to break), I won't need as much editing time.

I've been busy at work, so I haven't started the editing process quite yet. I have 4 days off this week, so I'm probably going to get started on it this week, maybe even tonight or tomorrow night! I kinda want my first editing run or two to be just to go through and find any plot holes I may have missed and fill those in, and then do a final run through towards the end once I feel like everything's filled in. I think I'm going to end up only being able to do two editing runs though, once to check for plot holes and fill them in and another to just make sure it's all solid enough before I post.

Hope everyone's still making good progress!
uhhhhh

unknown.png

Admittedly I've prioritized my ongoing story over this one, but... I'm not sure I'm gonna have this done in time >_>

At 10700 words, 1800 of them written today, I have finished the complete first draft of my entry! Not too worried about going over the word count limit at this point as I know I'll need to trim stuff anyway to improve the pacing. I'll inform my betas right now, and I think I'll do some proofreading by myself while I wait to hear back.

Fantastic news, Canis! Grats to you.

MA, no worries. You do what you can.

I haven't made progress in several days, but I will today, I'm sure of it~ :3

Well, the number of scenes in this story seems to keep growing as I realise I need extra emotional beats to make the story work. I suppose that's just a consequence of not doing the usual thorough plan I usually do. But on the bright side I got the majority of one of these done in a day, and another one can be collapsed into an existing scene for efficiency's sake

I'm pretty sure I'm about two-thirds done. My plan is to try to finish a scene today, which is proving difficult because it's a big emotional beat and I'd really rather not rush it. If I can also get the next couple of scenes properly mapped out as well, that'll set the agenda for writing for the rest of the week. An ambitious goal would to have those finished by the end of Sunday, but who knows

Trimming the word count is proving more difficult than expected. A beta reader helped to trim off 90 words... when what I need is 700 or more. Looks like I'll need to start killing my darlings... cocks handgun

Turns out I'd missed a big chunk of the story when I did my first read through the other night. I wrote down some notes to fill it in, and I just have to actually get it added in. I had some other notes too to fill out some other sections of the story, so I've done that first tonight; might go and add the other sections in later, but if I don't get to it tonight, then I'll probably do it tomorrow night. I'm sitting at about a little over 5000 words now without that big chunk of story added, so I'll probably get that done by tomorrow night, and then I'll step away from it for a little while again, work on my other story a little bit, and jump back to this one to do another read through and see if there's anything else I missed, and then start editing after that.

The sad part is, I thought I'd caught this plot hole when I was writing it and making sure I had everything covered, but I guess I missed it still, haha. Good thing I'm taking a lot of extra time with this story to make sure everything's covered. It really does help and pay off!

I would like to formally withdraw from the contest. I'm not going to get this done in time (even if I abandon my ongoing story in favor of it), and I'm only stressing myself out trying to work on it. Best of luck to all involved!

Well. It's going to be tough to be finished in time, certainly. I think I have little choice but to write in my breaks at work, just to get words down to polish up later. It's kind of doubtful I'll be able to hit my Sunday goal, but that thought just boomerangs back to "get it done, worry about edits later"

I’m afraid I’ll have to bow out as well. Turns out it’s too hard to write and monitor a hurricane at the same time :(.

Hi, everyone. Hope everyone is making good progress on their oneshots! Unfortuntely, I'm here to announce that I'll be dropping out of the competition as well.

My efforts were kind of troubled from the start, really. I actually ended up spending a significant amount of time just figuring out what I wanted to do, working with several ideas in my head before ultimately narrowing it down to something involving Mirror Adventures (the current fic that I'm writing). While plotting out my story, many things slowed me down: characters getting cut, scenes getting cut and put back in again, and an overall lack of confidence that I could actually pull off the kind of story I wanted to tell. But I think that the main thing that made me say "nah, this isn't going to work after all" is when I sat down and calculated the bare minimum amount of scenes I would need to effectively tell my story, and ended up with seven. That equalled a budget of anywhere between 1,000 and 2,000 words for each scene, and I knew that multiple scenes were definitely going to lean towards the higher side of that range. Even if I could've compressed everything down to fit into <=10,000 words, I don't think I would've been very happy with the results, let alone confident in it being competition-worthy material. That, combined with the stress of knowing that I had an increasingly limited amount of time to complete something that I wasn't even that optimistic about anymore, ultimately led me to throw in the towel for this one.

That said, I definitely don't regret applying for the competition, since I was able to get a ton of story ideas for Mirror Adventures that I never would've gotten otherwise. I also think that it's better this way because I can use the extra time to work on Mirror Adventures itself, which I have big plans for in the near future. And maybe I'll end up enjoying the competition itself more since I can focus more on enjoying everyone else's stuff, rather than worrying about reviews and winning and such. I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Made some key progress today: got some ideas from a couple friends and now I know what to do with my story! I still have a lot of writing to do very frantically if I'm gonna finish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom