• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Only for 3DS?

I know I have said this many times, but what's your guy's opinion for the 'Only for 3DS' format? Do you personally like it?

I personally think it wasn't that wise of a move for Game Freak and Company because though many people do have 3DS systems, many fans haven't upgraded yet because they have a fairly high price. Also, I think that completely dumping sprites was not a best decision but any people have said that they like the 3d models to the sprites.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of GF’s decision. Here are the most current sales figures I could find for the 3DS against the sales figures for the DS at the time of DP’s North American launch (I chose these games over BW because DP were the first mainline Pokemon games for that handheld; Gen V came ridiculously late in the DS’s lifespan and would have been an unfair comparison).

Nintendo 3DS as of September 30, 2012 (the most recent reporting period to date):

• Japanese Sales Figures: 7.94 million
  • North American Sales Figures: 7.38 million
  • Global Sales Figures (including other territories): 22.19 million

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1209.pdf:

VGChartz has more updated sales figures; however I can’t confirm their accuracy. Nintendo’s Q3 earnings report is due out at the end of the month so I’ll update this post when I can pull up those numbers (which are obviously very important since they’ll likely include robust sales figures for the 3DS hardware).

VGChartz Sales Figures (Platform Totals - VGChartz):

• Japanese Sales Figures: 9.82 million
  • North American Sales Figures: 8.29 million
  • Global Sales Figures (including other territories): 27.03 million

Nintendo DS as of March 31, 2007 (the last financial reporting period prior to DP’s North American launch):

• Japanese Sales Figures: 16.02 million
  • North American Sales Figures: 11.74 million
  • Global Sales Figures (including other territories): 40.29 million

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2007/070426e.pdf#page=21

While lower, the 3DS sales figures are climbing up at a pretty decent clip. The overall numbers are pretty impressive given the slow start the system had prior to its price drop. I’m confident that in the 9 months leading to the launch of X&Y we’ll see a 3DS adoption rate comparable to the DS’s at the time of DP’s launch.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the sprites issue. I was skeptical at first, but after seeing the trailer I’m very impressed with what GF has done graphically. It’s not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but given what this franchise has done in the past, it’s a leap forward and I like it.

We have to remember something, and that is that pokemon is a really BIG business. If they only release it for 3 DS it will mean more money for them and more boost on the 3DS sales. Most of the fans whom don't own a 3Ds yet will surely buy one (and that includes me).
I also believe that Nintendo was pressuring a little on GF, but it was still matter of time.

Nintendo might think to lower 3DS prices, so that fans who haven't yet upgraded to the 3DS will buy 3DS bundled with Pokémon X or Y.

wild thought

While I'm very excited with the new pokemon games being on the 3DS, it seems sort of like a waste just to be buying an expensive 3DS for a single Pokemon game because I don't play games that aren't pokemon. (then again, if they release RSE remakes or other pokemon stuff later on the 3DS, it could be more less a waste). I'm going to look for used 3DS, though it might be hard. Even after the price cut, the 3DS is STILL expensive here, and the software itself is bound to be expensive as well.

While I'm very excited with the new pokemon games being on the 3DS, it seems sort of like a waste just to be buying an expensive 3DS for a single Pokemon game because I don't play games that aren't pokemon. (then again, if they release RSE remakes or other pokemon stuff later on the 3DS, it could be more less a waste). I'm going to look for used 3DS, though it might be hard. Even after the price cut, the 3DS is STILL expensive, and the software itself is bound to be expensive as well.

Where are you from? In the US the MSRP for most new DS games is $35 (which every Pokemon game retails for, even years after release) while the MSRP is $40 for new 3DS games. It's only a difference of $5, which isn't much. In fact, HGSS still retail for about $40 here (due to the Pokewalker I guess), so it would be the same price as X&Y.

3DS exclusivity doesn't surprise me one bit.
Now that a Pokemon game is confirmed, there's already been a price cut and a purple 3DS is available, I have no regrets about waiting to buy one.

Yeah, it makes owning a 3DS seem worthwhile after all... besides it will definitely peak sales for the 3DS come release date.

I actually think this was a really smart move by Nintendo. They took the DS and used it to its full capabilities, essentially extending its life by almost two years. There are a lot of people who are excited by what they saw today and will buy a 3DS simply to experience these games (myself included).

Pokémon moves devices for Nintendo, and I think it was smart for them to include Generation V on the DS to allow more users to transition to 3DSs before Generation VI. They had to take this leap at some point. Hopefully, Nintendo continues to push the 3DS platform for a few more years to allow this Generation to flesh out a bit more than Gen V did.

WOOT?

Nintendo why wasn't Ruby and Sapphire also for the GBC?

Nintendo why wasn't Diamon and Pearl for the GBA also?

WHY WHY? I don't understund...

While I'm very excited with the new pokemon games being on the 3DS, it seems sort of like a waste just to be buying an expensive 3DS for a single Pokemon game because I don't play games that aren't pokemon. (then again, if they release RSE remakes or other pokemon stuff later on the 3DS, it could be more less a waste). I'm going to look for used 3DS, though it might be hard. Even after the price cut, the 3DS is STILL expensive, and the software itself is bound to be expensive as well.

Where are you from? In the US the MSRP for most new DS games is $35 (which every Pokemon game retails for, even years after release) while the MSRP is $40 for new 3DS games. It's only a difference of $5, which isn't much. In fact, HGSS still retail for about $40 here (due to the Pokewalker I guess), so it would be the same price as X&Y.
I wasn't talking about the software. I was talking about the HARDWARE. The 3DS itself.

I just looked up a homepage for the price of a 3DS hardware that comes with one 3DS game software.

For simplicity's sake, let's say 1$ equals 1,000 won.

The total price for one 3DS hardware and one 3DS software is 263,040 won, which is approximately 263$. even if we estimate the software to be around 30$, the hardware itself is 230$ approximately.

So yeah. I still have to give friggin 200$ for a 3DS hardware AT LEAST. And that was priced as an event discount, so heaven knows how much the HARDWARE really is. Probably around 300$ or so.

I wasn't talking about the software. I was talking about the HARDWARE. The 3DS itself.

I just looked up a homepage for the price of a 3DS hardware that comes with one 3DS game software.

For simplicity's sake, let's say 1$ equals 1,000 won.

The total price for one 3DS hardware and one 3DS software is 263,040 won, which is approximately 263$. even if we estimate the software to be around 30$, the hardware itself is 230$ approximately.

So yeah. I still have to give friggin 200$ for a 3DS hardware AT LEAST. And that was priced as an event discount, so heaven knows how much the HARDWARE really is. Probably around 300$ or so.

I wasn't really disputing the hardware price. From what I gather it's pretty expensive in some territories and more affordable in others. I was more curious on the software since you mentioned that too.

Video gaming can be an expensive hobby. That's nothing new. This ain't welfare.

I wasn't really disputing the hardware price. From what I gather it's pretty expensive in some territories and more affordable in others. I was more curious on the software since you mentioned that too.

The reason why I mentioned that was because BW had been pretty expensive compared to B2W2 - so I was guessing them to be expensive because they mark the start of the new generation. I'm not going to be surprised if the softwares cost 50$ each, imo.

Having it just for the 3DS means I most likely won't be getting the games when it comes out because I can't afford to be running out and buying a new 3DS.

I now actually have a reason to get a 3DS, so yes I definitely support 3DS only. Having it be on the Nintendo DS would have been horrible and the console is not capable of what we witnessed in the trailer.

Gold/Silver were Gameboy Color only.
Ruby/Sapphire were only for the Gameboy Advanced.
Diamond/Pearl were only for the Nintendo DS.
(Black/White were released on the same console, but at the cost it needed to be different than Gen 4)

Technology marches on, nothing new.

I now actually have a reason to get a 3DS, so yes I definitely support 3DS only. Having it be on the Nintendo DS would have been horrible and the console is not capable of what we witnessed in the trailer.

Gold/Silver were Gameboy Color only.
Ruby/Sapphire were only for the Gameboy Advanced.
Diamond/Pearl were only for the Nintendo DS.
(Black/White were released on the same console, but at the cost it needed to be different than Gen 4)

Technology marches on, nothing new.
Correction, Crystal was GBC only, GS could be played on the GB.

I picked up a 3DS for the Dream Radar stuff the other day, but I may end up picking up an XL when these come out in addition.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom