• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Only for 3DS?

Yeah, I have a 3DS but I think I'll start saving up for a 3DSxl to play X & Y on, using my regular 3DS for trades.

My head is about to explode, by the way.

About time they moved on to the 3DS! The DS has had a good lifespan, but it's time to lay it to rest. Viva 3DS!

I've owned the 3DS ever since the European launch of the original model, so my body has been ready for a good while now!

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

(s-u-r-p-r-i-s-e-d not b-i-a-s-e-d btw)

I mean, come on, it was pretty obvious, the DS had an amazing runtime, but it's long dead now, Pokémon, like all franchises, needs to adapt, besides the fact that the 3DS was also a huge sucess, it's gonna make even MORE money now, and besides, you can still play DS games on a 3DS, so it's cool for me.

(Has a 3DS since june 2012)

The real question here is whether or not computers will have a good 3DS emulator by this fall.

The real question here is whether or not computers will have a good 3DS emulator by this fall.

Well who knows. Never underestimate the hackers. I heard they even made emulators for the Wii - but apparently it causes problems to your computer.

But that aside, the I should keep my eyes open for used 3DS - in case someone wants to sell it.

It's a well-thought out move by Nintendo and Game Freak. The DS, like all systems before it, has run it's course. And to do a game of this magnitude on a lower-level game system would hinder it completely, even demolish the whole game's upgraded value. The DS has been around for awhile now, and the 3DS has been having record sale. With Pokemon as a guide, those who don't have a 3DS will get one, it's inevitable. While I still love my old DS Lite, my 3DS needs a little more love, since I only really use it for trading and as a back-up when the DS Lite's battery is charging. I may just have to buy another one so I can continue trading among myself. But it's time the games moved onto a more powerful console that can handle the updated graphics and whatnot.

People will be willing to pay the price for a 3DS if it means they can have a powerful, awesomely designed, and highly popular game on it. Hey, I was willing to pay for a PS3 so I could play Ratchet and Clank Future series and beyond, even though for a long time I wasn't willing to do so. It's a smart move, and the 3DS needs something highly popular to motivate it's sales and make it seem more desirable. I don't follow your argument much at all. Technology evolves and upgrades as time goes on, while older versions goes obsolete at the same time, so it's only natural they would use a more powerful system for a newly upgraded, yet highly popular, game series. It only makes sense. So, no, it is a very intelligent maneuver on Nintendo and Game Freak's part. Plus it will just create more profit for Nintendo in the long-run.

Yes, this was totally warranted and definitely necessary. If the Pokemon main series games chose not tot move to the 3DS then they wouldn't be around much longer. It was only a matter of time.

Fortunately for all of us GameFreak has outdone themselves and are really going to make the transition from the DS to the 3DS very easy for a majority of the current players, especially with Nintendo's backing.

It's less about X and Y needing to be on DS, and more about non-3DS owners needing to grow up.

This sort of sums it up for me.

Having it just for the 3DS means I most likely won't be getting the games when it comes out because I can't afford to be running out and buying a new 3DS.

You don't have to be running anywhere. It's January, the games come out in October. Plenty of time to start saving / dropping hints for birthday/Christmas presents perhaps. There's plenty of time. Idk about where you are, but you can pick up decent pre-owned ones here for reasonable prices. Unless you're snobby about pre-owned, in which case... well I have nothing to say to that really. I just don't understand it.

It's a well-thought out move by Nintendo and Game Freak. The DS, like all systems before it, has run it's course. And to do a game of this magnitude on a lower-level game system would hinder it completely, even demolish the whole game's upgraded value. The DS has been around for awhile now, and the 3DS has been having record sale. With Pokemon as a guide, those who don't have a 3DS will get one, it's inevitable. While I still love my old DS Lite, my 3DS needs a little more love, since I only really use it for trading and as a back-up when the DS Lite's battery is charging. I may just have to buy another one so I can continue trading among myself. But it's time the games moved onto a more powerful console that can handle the updated graphics and whatnot.

People will be willing to pay the price for a 3DS if it means they can have a powerful, awesomely designed, and highly popular game on it. Hey, I was willing to pay for a PS3 so I could play Ratchet and Clank Future series and beyond, even though for a long time I wasn't willing to do so. It's a smart move, and the 3DS needs something highly popular to motivate it's sales and make it seem more desirable. I don't follow your argument much at all. Technology evolves and upgrades as time goes on, while older versions goes obsolete at the same time, so it's only natural they would use a more powerful system for a newly upgraded, yet highly popular, game series. It only makes sense. So, no, it is a very intelligent maneuver on Nintendo and Game Freak's part. Plus it will just create more profit for Nintendo in the long-run.

Yeah well I guess I'll end up buying the 3DS...but I don't know. Even as a Pokemon fan, getting an expensive hardware just to play one software seems a little, too luxurious? Well, of course they'd release other pokemon games on the 3DS eventually (RSE remakes might come next), but I don't know just yet.

Really, whoever said gaming wasn't welfare, I definitely agree with ya, bro. Gaming is such an expensive hobby ;_;

EDIT: and it's a little frustrating to see people think that all we need to do to buy a 3DS we just have to "save" money and problem solved? Since when was life so easy?

You don't have to be running anywhere. It's January, the games come out in October. Plenty of time to start saving / dropping hints for birthday/Christmas presents perhaps. There's plenty of time. Idk about where you are, but you can pick up decent pre-owned ones here for reasonable prices. Unless you're snobby about pre-owned, in which case... well I have nothing to say to that really. I just don't understand it.

Even so I've also got bills to pay which sucks cause I'd rather save my money. As for pre-owned I'm not against it because my DS was a pre-own until it broke now I'm using one of my friends old DS's seeing as how I'm the only one in the group that still doesn't have a 3DS.

I hate how I'll have to spend a few hundred dollars just to get a new game instead of the usual $35-$40, because I'll have to get a 3DS, but it'll happen anyways because BW/B2W2 gave me a lot of hope for the future. HGSS was decent, but it was so boring and pointless (as much as RBY & GSC were) after completing the storyline that I was really disappointed. Gamefreak drew me back in with Gen 5.

Even so I've also got bills to pay which sucks cause I'd rather save my money. As for pre-owned I'm not against it because my DS was a pre-own until it broke now I'm using one of my friends old DS's seeing as how I'm the only one in the group that still doesn't have a 3DS.

Bills, tuitions, taxes, etc etc... there are so many life issues that we have to spend money on. My current DS is also previously my sister's - I only own the software as I couldn't afford my own DS. I'll eventually get a used one somehow, but yeah...

Doesn't matter. New Pokémon. If you love the series, it's worth it.

Actually, I already have a 3DS. I wanted the Dream Radar for my White 2 (and NSMB2 was fun.)

Yeah, this'll really boost sales (bonus points if it becomes downloadable)

Many of the fans, like me, had not gotten a 3DS because there were no Pokémon main series games. I'm getting one now.

I don't think it was unwise. People had been waiting for this ever since the 3DS was announced. After all, after Mario, Pokémon is the most popular Nintendo franchise.

Many of the fans, like me, had not gotten a 3DS because there were no Pokémon main series games. I'm getting one now.

I don't think it was unwise. People had been waiting for this ever since the 3DS was announced. After all, after Mario, Pokémon is the most popular Nintendo franchise.

Agreed! This is just like the transition from Gen 3 to Gen 4 for me. Back when Diamond and Pearl were announced, I didn't have a DS because 'there were no Pokémon main series games.'

This move to the 3DS was a must. The DS is dying (if not dead) and the Pokémon franchise needs this upgrade.

Definitely time to move on, though I'll admit I'll be a little sore because I don't have a second 3DS, so by the time the next games come around I won't be able to trade over without the GTS. Anyway. It won't kill me.

I mean, hell, I need to buy two now. One for me and one my friend who won't get it himself....

Unlike when BW and BW2 were being announced I always argued that they were going to be on the DS. But een before the html code was released I could see how it was going to be a 3ds title.

Looks like I'll have to update my previous figure of Japanese 3DS hardware sales of 9.82 million. According to IGN the system has sold about 250K systems since the last update on VGChartz (less than a month), allowing it to top 10 million systems sold. That's partially due to the release of the new Animal Crossing.

This just reinforces the justification behind Nintendo's decision; killer apps move hardware, and Pokemon is their biggest handheld killer app.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/08/nintendo-3ds-shifts-over-10-million-units-in-japan

it was always gonna be on 3DS i just hoped they might make seperate games for the DS Since there still some money in it.. i guess not :( i will have to spend a load of money which could be used on more important things to follow pokemon

I think it's good in a way because they're expanding into their new 3D console with a main series game, although, I think they should release a standard 2D version for the DS also. A 2D version is unlikely however because Nintendo want people to purchase the 3DS/XL so they can rake in more cash. :(

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom