• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Only for 3DS?

Seriously, sorry, but I don't get why some of you are upset yet surprised that these games are going to be in 3DS. BW2 were basically the last proper DS titles ever. They could have gone to 3DS already in 5th generation, so this is only natural and 110% expected.

You know that you have to buy new console at some point, and I'm sure this will boost the sales of 3DS.
Please consider the fact, that around the time these games are released, Nintendo DS is already a Nine-year-old console.

This is exactly the right direction. Pokémon evolves, you need to evolve with it by buying a new console. Logical.

I would be more than shocked if these titles weren't for 3DS.
I just got my Pikachu 3DS XL on Xmas so I'm safe with this~

I mean, hell, I need to buy two now. One for me and one my friend who won't get it himself....

Unlike when BW and BW2 were being announced I always argued that they were going to be on the DS. But een before the html code was released I could see how it was going to be a 3ds title.

Did you really think VI was going tto be on the DS? It's about damn time we got a main game on the 3DS...

While it's good their finally moving on, I was hoping they would at least improve on the graphics/engine somewhat to take advantage of the 3ds. Sadly I've seen better PSP and DS games.

I mean, hell, I need to buy two now. One for me and one my friend who won't get it himself....

Unlike when BW and BW2 were being announced I always argued that they were going to be on the DS. But een before the html code was released I could see how it was going to be a 3ds title.

Did you really think VI was going tto be on the DS? It's about damn time we got a main game on the 3DS...

Uh, no. I've always known that Gen VI was going to be on the 3ds. I've been saying for the past year that the only thing they could do to start pokemon on the 3ds would be Gen VI. Kicking off pokemon games on the 3ds with a remake or BW3 would have been complete absurd. Mainly ebcause they would have cross-platformed Gen V.

I will definitely be purchasing a 3DS XL now. Heres to hoping they release a special Pokemon edition 3DS XL here in America soon so I can pick one up used a little cheaper.

Pokemon isnt a right, it;s a privilege. You have to pay to play. If you cannot afford it there is no reasons those who can should be hindered with outdated graphics and consoles. Once you have a steady job it;s as simple as saving up some money. If it was released today I have more than enough money today to buy two consoles and the games, it's called budgeting.

The move to the 3DS couldn't have came at a better time for me, I just got a job, the 3DS is cheap, it's worth about 10 hours of work (because time is the best currency ^_^) and my DS lite is about to fall apart.

While it's good their finally moving on, I was hoping they would at least improve on the graphics/engine somewhat to take advantage of the 3ds. Sadly I've seen better PSP and DS games.
Meh, ever since the Gen III they haven't taken full advantage of the respective system. When you have fifty hours+ of gameplay, who cares about the graphics?

The DS has practically died now, and B2W2 were the DS's last major game. If they did make it on the DS, they'd be wasting all the money that they could get from people buying the 3DS + the new games, and the rest of the generation would be doomed as well. It'd be like if Gen IV was released on the GBA even though it was long dead by the time DP was released.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DS is dead, that's all there is to it. There'd be no point in releasing a new gen on it. They'd lose money that way, and besides, what with a load of other game series going 3D, who's really to say that it wasn't Pokemon's time? I was personally hoping B2W2 would be on 3DS, even though I knew and understood why that wouldn't happen (why would games from the same generation have to be played on two different consoles).

I'm pretty happy that it's on the 3DS, but maybe that's just because I have one x)
But yeah, it's gonna be pretty cool to see what stuff they will be able to do on the 3DS now with Pokémon. I'm especially interested to see what they're doing with the battle sequences since it looked a lot more like Pokémon Stadium rather than former handheld game battles in the trailer.

Besides, many people will buy 3DS because of Pokémon.

I happen to be one of those people. xD

That was the only turn off for me. I doubt my parents would let me buy a 3DS on a whim, though I'm really hoping to get one for my birthday.

If the release of X and Y comes with a slashing of the price of the 3DS, those things will be flying off the shelves like a tornado tore through the aisles. But yeah. If it is going to only be for the 3DS, I'm going to have to start saving money.

I was hoping it would still be for the DS, but can't say I'm surprised. Also those of you saying just buy a 3DS and calling us idiots and just being rude because we hoped for it to be DS, please stop because it's annoying. Economies are bad and not everyone has money. All the money in my account is for college, and I can't find a job because no one is hiring due to the bad economy. I just got my DSs three years ago because my family had a little extra money then, and now we're barely making ends meet. I'm disappointed it's only for the 3DS, but hopefully I'll be able to get one come time. Though considering things in the Gen V games, they may have been able to do similar to what they did with the 3DS just not as extravagant.

I'm honestly not surprised X/Y's for the 3DS - this is more beneficial to GF as well as Nintendo. This is, as some of the posters have already said, the perfect way for Pokemon fans to transition from the DS to the 3DS, if they haven't already. Its the perfect incentive for fans to buy the 3DS, and profit is made. We all need to take into account that gaming is a privilege, and game counsels are always going to get upgraded.

I understand the viewpoints of both those who want Gen VI for the 3DS and those who want it for the DS. However, there really is no need for name-calling.

Out with the old and in with the new. The 3DS will be the only platform for Gen VI, just as it should be by now.

Might as well trade in my old ds lite for a 3ds. Keeping my Dsi though so that I can transport my old pokes to X and Y.

The 3DS outpaced the original DS for the 1st year it was out. I got one, and I'm glad to finally have Pokemon and Streetpass together.

Did anyone really expect another game for the DS? It was inevitable. Two generations plus the remakes is 9 games. That's more than enough.

Releasing XY for the 3DS was the only way to make a significant graphical improvement over BW.

Would Nintendo even have been on board with publishing another Pokemon game on the DS?

I'm perfectly fine with moving onto the 3DS. I enjoyed playing all of the games on the DS, but it is an outdated system now. They just couldn't have another generation on the DS and they need to keep Pokemon on the most recent system. The 3DS has been selling very well and putting main series Pokemon games will help sell even more systems, so it seems like a very smart move on their part.

I do understand why people don't like having to buy a brand new system for these games, especially when the 3DS can still be a bit too much for some, since times are still tough. Even so, it's still more than reasonable to move onto the 3DS from a business standpoint and it wouldn't make sense to keep the series on the DS for those who can't afford it. It would be ridiculous to have three generations on the same console at this point. There are ways to get a 3DS at a cheap price, especially with the XL system released, and I can easily see them releasing a 3DS bundle pack with one of the new games included. That would help to sell a lot more systems and possibly make it easier for some people to get both the system and one of the games. It might be tough for some people still, but I think that it can work out.

Last edited:
The shift to 3DS was unavoidable. I got my money's worth a long time ago with my DS Phat.

I still reallyyyy don't want to buy a 3DS. It's so bulky in my hands and the 3D annoyed my eyes. Plus, it's pretty expensive to get just for one Pokemon game, for a college student like me. :[ I'll find ways to check out the gameplay or I may just end up getting it someday~ (I did end up getting White2 but I still haven't beat it :x). Sigh.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom