• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Only for 3DS?

The shift to 3DS was unavoidable. I got my money's worth a long time ago with my DS Phat.

I still reallyyyy don't want to buy a 3DS. It's so bulky in my hands and the 3D annoyed my eyes. Plus, it's pretty expensive to get just for one Pokemon game, for a college student like me. :[ I'll find ways to check out the gameplay or I may just end up getting it someday~ (I did end up getting White2 but I still haven't beat it :x). Sigh.

You can turn off the 3d. I personally can't see 3d my left eye isn't strong enough to focus for it, so I leave the 3d off. Saves me battery and the games look just as good.

I'm really glad they decided to put it for the 3DS, it's about time they really make use of the 3DS for a mainstream Pokemon game. Although it does kind of suck some people are going to have to buy a 3DS if they want to buy the game, that's the only set back for some people imo.

I was hoping it would still be for the DS, but can't say I'm surprised. Also those of you saying just buy a 3DS and calling us idiots and just being rude because we hoped for it to be DS, please stop because it's annoying. Economies are bad and not everyone has money. All the money in my account is for college, and I can't find a job because no one is hiring due to the bad economy. I just got my DSs three years ago because my family had a little extra money then, and now we're barely making ends meet. I'm disappointed it's only for the 3DS, but hopefully I'll be able to get one come time. Though considering things in the Gen V games, they may have been able to do similar to what they did with the 3DS just not as extravagant.

I fully agree with you. Yes, I know that the shift was inevitable, and GF would eventually release games for the 3DS. But just because some people had gotten their hands on the 3DS, I don't really like them thinking it'll be easy for other people as well. "Saving Money" isn't easy in real life. And that part of dropping hints for birthdays/christmas is really annoying as well. Heck, do you really think adults can just go around and drop hints they want a 3DS cuz there's this epic new pokemon game for it?

I own a 3DS, so I can't say I'm complaining, but I understand. The system is quite expensive. However, it's time to move on.

I fully agree with you. Yes, I know that the shift was inevitable, and GF would eventually release games for the 3DS. But just because some people had gotten their hands on the 3DS, I don't really like them thinking it'll be easy for other people as well. "Saving Money" isn't easy in real life. And that part of dropping hints for birthdays/christmas is really annoying as well. Heck, do you really think adults can just go around and drop hints they want a 3DS cuz there's this epic new pokemon game for it?

I can ask straight out. My problem is mainly we don't have much money, and all mine goes to schooling. I also want to visit family across the country this summer.

Also we know it's time to move on so you guys don't need to keep saying it because honestly it's annoying. Again not all have easy way of getting a 3DS which is why we hoped for the off chance that it would be for DS, despite the facts pointing to it being on the 3DS.

I was hoping it would still be for the DS, but can't say I'm surprised. Also those of you saying just buy a 3DS and calling us idiots and just being rude because we hoped for it to be DS, please stop because it's annoying. Economies are bad and not everyone has money. All the money in my account is for college, and I can't find a job because no one is hiring due to the bad economy. I just got my DSs three years ago because my family had a little extra money then, and now we're barely making ends meet. I'm disappointed it's only for the 3DS, but hopefully I'll be able to get one come time. Though considering things in the Gen V games, they may have been able to do similar to what they did with the 3DS just not as extravagant.
I understand your point of view: I rarely have the most up to date consoles myself. But new games are going to come out on new consoles. It sucks, but that's the way things go.

And if you feel people are being rude, you should report them rather than complaining about it here.

The 3DS outpaced the original DS for the 1st year it was out. I got one, and I'm glad to finally have Pokemon and Streetpass together.
The true best feature: having streetpass active while playing pokemon.
I am willing to bet hard cash that X and Y will take what the c-gear started in BW and improves on it with the respective 3DS functions.

Also, the DS vs. 3DS war is over, it's finally over. What was started nearly 3 years ago has ended.

I understand your point of view: I rarely have the most up to date consoles myself. But new games are going to come out on new consoles. It sucks, but that's the way things go.

And if you feel people are being rude, you should report them rather than complaining about it here.
That would be a lot of people to report.

And I know new games come out on new consoles. The new Fire Emblem Game for example is coming out on the 3DS as well.

I'm pretty sure the "most people don't have a 3DS" argument is invalid these days. Last year, it might have been an issue, but not in 2013. The 3DS will be over 2.5 years old in October, 4 months short of 3 years old. That is plenty of time (if not more than enough) to sell units. And with the announcement of X and Y, 3DS sales WILL increase.

I understand some of you hoped Pokemon would remain on the DS. But GameFreak has not neglected anyone and has not "left people out" as I've seen some say elsewhere. I highly doubt making Gen 6 3DS-only was specifically to punish people without a 3DS. Still, it's roughly 10 months until the games come out. Start saving if you really want them. You don't HAVE to buy them the day they are first released either. Most of you can probably manage to save enough money (or close to it at least) by October. Those who find money hard to come by can still slowly save up. Anyway, let's just try not to say that GameFreak has screwed over the fanbase with this move. They can't help that some people don't have a lot of money, but they can't just give away their product or they'll go out of business.

I'm pretty sure the "most people don't have a 3DS" argument is invalid these days. Last year, it might have been an issue, but not in 2013. The 3DS will be over 2.5 years old in October, 4 months short of 3 years old. That is plenty of time (if not more than enough) to sell units. And with the announcement of X and Y, 3DS sales WILL increase.

I understand some of you hoped Pokemon would remain on the DS. But GameFreak has not neglected anyone and has not "left people out" as I've seen some say elsewhere. I highly doubt making Gen 6 3DS-only was specifically to punish people without a 3DS. Still, it's roughly 10 months until the games come out. Start saving if you really want them. You don't HAVE to buy them the day they are first released either. Most of you can probably manage to save enough money (or close to it at least) by October. Those who find money hard to come by can still slowly save up. Anyway, let's just try not to say that GameFreak has screwed over the fanbase with this move. They can't help that some people don't have a lot of money, but they can't just give away their product or they'll go out of business.
...Have you not read what we've been saying? And you'd be pretty surprised that a fairly large amount of people don't have the 3DS. Just because someone is a pokemon fan doesn't mean that 3DS is a must have-on-time product. Like you said, we'd be merely slow in buying them.

And I've been talking on another site about the new releases and I'm literally close to exploding on how people think 300$ is something they can just pick up on the ground and go buy the 3DS hardware.

...Have you not read what we've been saying? And you'd be pretty surprised that a fairly large amount of people don't have the 3DS. Just because someone is a pokemon fan doesn't mean that 3DS is a must have-on-time product. Like you said, we'd be merely slow in buying them.

Yes, I did read it. And last I heard, sales for the 3DS were going up and it was becoming quite popular. But like I said, I doubt most people don't have one by now, or won't have one by the end of the year. And as several have said in this thread, they will be purchasing one now that they know X and Y are coming. Those without a 3DS by October will more than likely be the minority.

...And I've been talking on another site about the new releases and I'm literally close to exploding on how people think 300$ is something they can just pick up on the ground and go buy the 3DS hardware.

Believe me, I know what it's like to save up and have to wait. I'm not sure where you live, but according to what I read, the 3DS costs $170. A new Pokemon game will be probably $40. That's not quite $300. And of course, you can probably find used ones cheaper if you don't mind one that was previously owned. I think the main issue here is that people are actually mad at GameFreak for doing this. THAT is when people are taking things too far. No one is expecting anyone to just be able to pick up $200-$300 right now. But some are completely exaggerating the situation like the 3DS is THE most expensive product in existence. No, it isn't cheap, but considering it's basically a handheld Wii, that price is reasonable.

I think maybe it's time we let this topic die everyone. I don't think it can be legitimately questioned whether or not Nintendo/GF made a good business decision to release Gen VI on the 3DS; they absolutely made the correct decision to support their new hardware and provide their growing install base with a high quality piece of software (and give consumers an extra incentive to purchase more 3DSs).

The unfortunate consequence is there are people left out of the new generation due to the change in hardware. That sucks, and hopefully every fan can find enough financial flexibility down the road to enjoy the new games while they're the primary focus of the community's attention (for trade and battle purposes obviously). I don't think anyone here intended on coming across rude or malicious. Nintendo/GF made a reasonable business decision and it can't be changed. I think the point has been made. Let's just move on :)

I think maybe it's time we let this topic die everyone. I don't think it can be legitimately questioned whether or not Nintendo/GF made a good business decision to release Gen VI on the 3DS; they absolutely made the correct decision to support their new hardware and provide their growing install base with a high quality piece of software (and give consumers an extra incentive to purchase more 3DSs).

The unfortunate consequence is there are people left out of the new generation due to the change in hardware. That sucks, and hopefully every fan can find enough financial flexibility down the road to enjoy the new games while they're the primary focus of the community's attention (for trade and battle purposes obviously). I don't think anyone here intended on coming across rude or malicious. Nintendo/GF made a reasonable business decision and it can't be changed. I think the point has been made. Let's just move on :)

It's up to moderators to decide if a topic has run it's course or not. Please report a thread if you feel it's unnecessary.

Mod note: As an addendum to Musashi's post above mine, please keep the dialogue respectful. This conversation isn't done yet, but make sure that your post is not offensive to other users.

Yes, I did read it. And last I heard, sales for the 3DS were going up and it was becoming quite popular. But like I said, I doubt most people don't have one by now, or won't have one by the end of the year. And as several have said in this thread, they will be purchasing one now that they know X and Y are coming. Those without a 3DS by October will more than likely be the minority.

...And I've been talking on another site about the new releases and I'm literally close to exploding on how people think 300$ is something they can just pick up on the ground and go buy the 3DS hardware.

Believe me, I know what it's like to save up and have to wait. I'm not sure where you live, but according to what I read, the 3DS costs $170. A new Pokemon game will be probably $40. That's not quite $300. And of course, you can probably find used ones cheaper if you don't mind one that was previously owned. I think the main issue here is that people are actually mad at GameFreak for doing this. THAT is when people are taking things too far. No one is expecting anyone to just be able to pick up $200-$300 right now. But some are completely exaggerating the situation like the 3DS is THE most expensive product in existence. No, it isn't cheap, but considering it's basically a handheld Wii, that price is reasonable.

I live where all sorts of games (especially MMO) are very much promoted, but the irony is that console games are very expensive compared to other stuff. I checked the prices of the 3DS hardware on the internet, and I got an estimate that the 3DS would be around 250$ average in my country. And I searched for even discounts, the hardware was still well over 200$. Must be nice to live where the 3DS costs 170$ which is considerably cheaper. You gotta understand that not everybody lives where game consoles are cheap.

I live where all sorts of games (especially MMO) are very much promoted, but the irony is that console games are very expensive compared to other stuff. I checked the prices of the 3DS hardware on the internet, and I got an estimate that the 3DS would be around 250$ average in my country. And I searched for even discounts, the hardware was still well over 200$. Must be nice to live where the 3DS costs 170$ which is considerably cheaper. You gotta understand that not everybody lives where game consoles are cheap.

Ebay and find a seller that will ship international. Bet you can find one shipped to your door for under $225. Dropping $200 on a new console and game isnt too big of an expenditure. I spend more than that on a new fishing reel....

Ebay and find a seller that will ship international. Bet you can find one shipped to your door for under $225. Dropping $200 on a new console and game isnt too big of an expenditure. I spend more than that on a new fishing reel....
Yup - and I spend more than that on bills and taxes

Think of it this way, you have until October to save up for one, and they've gotten a decent price drop since they first released.

I don't have one either, but I plan to have one by October. Just for the record, I would have been upset if GF had made the previous games 3DS only. I was kind of disappointed that some feature were locked to the 3DS, but alas, you have to move on at some point.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom