• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Only known Pokemon"

TechSkylander1518

Reaction score
(Sorry to make a whole thread for this, but I've brought up the topic in both a discussion page and the Suggestions, Ideas, and Problems thread, so I don't know how else to get a response)

I think the wording on signature moves in the Biology section of Pokemon needs to be reworked a bit.

If you look at the page for Yamask, you'll see this:
Yamask and its evolved forms, Cofagrigus and Runerigus, are the only known Pokémon capable of learning Crafty Shield.
It's only accurate for Sword and Shield, but putting it in the biology section like that without mentioning that there's other Pokemon in other games that can learn it seems like it's the standard for the games.

Klefki and Magearna are still known Pokemon that can learn the move, and you can even bring them to Pokemon Bank, they're just not in Sword and Shield. It's not like they've stopped existing. (Following this example, people should update Sonic wikis to state that Sonic makes up two-thirds of known playable characters, since there's only three playable characters in Sonic Forces) And removed Pokemon are still compared to elsewhere in the article- for example, Torkoal's trivia section mentions Mega Camerupt tying with it in Speed, despite the fact that at the top of the page, Camerupt doesn't count as a known Pokemon who can learn Eruption.

This wasn't always how things were phrased, either. Cut, for example, could only be learned by Farfetch'd in LGPE, but nobody changed the page to say Farfetch'd was the only known Pokemon who could learn it. (Same goes for Butterfree and Rage Powder, and Hitmonchan and Mach Punch)

And speaking of Cut, I also question the phrasing of this with moves where they were TMs in the past, but aren't any more.
Farfetch'd is the only known Pokémon capable of learning Cut.
This isn't even true for SwSh- lots of known Pokemon in SwSh can have the move, they just can't learn it in SwSh without the TM. You can easily transfer up a Charmander with Cut, and what then?

I think that statements like this should have a qualifying statement added on. "Farfetch'd is the only known Pokemon capable of learning Cut in Pokemon Sword and Shield." makes it clear that you're talking about the Pokemon in SwSh, and learning the move in SwSh.

(Also, on the Butterfree page, it implies that only GMax Butterfree can use Rage Powder:
Gigantamax Butterfree is the only known Pokémon capable of using the move Rage Powder and the exclusive G-Max Move G-Max Befuddle.
I'd fix this myself, but I wanted to get the main issue sorted out so I could get both at once)

I know this is a little wordy for a simple change, but since the phrasing seems to be standardized, I wanted to make a case and have approval before just going with changing it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom