• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Operation Cloudburst

Lightning Energy

Makin' your head spin
Reaction score
Captain Blue & General Kross
proudly present:

Operation Cloudburst

Rating: T for Teen
Disclaimer: Pokemon is copyright its original owners. The authors only own the plot and original characters. Any representation of real persons, dead or alive, is purely coincidental unless it makes a damn good reference.​
I can't tell you how happy I am that this is finally seeing the light of day. This is a project that General Kross and I have been developing for about three years now. This chapter itself was first started two years ago: it was put on hold due to real life issues (mostly school). But we pushed through since we've both graduated, and after weeks of repeated editing and revising, it's finally done!

We have big hopes and visions for this story as a whole, and Arceus willing, we're going to see it through to the end. So, without further adieu, let's get right to it!

Chapter 1
"Prelude to a New Journey! A Mystery Gift Has Arrived."​
She wondered where they had failed before. It wasn't as though the first plan was so complicated. One little mistake couldn't have brought the whole thing crashing down. It was, in fact, the opposite: the plan was too simple. That was why it got foiled by little mistakes. Rather annoying, recurring mistakes. Her boss at the time was so confident that their vision would come to fruition. And yet…

Well, she thought, it had come to fruition, if you tilted your head to the side and squinted. They had awoken the super-ancient Pokémon, and it had the intended effect. Their first miscalculation had been failing to grasp the scope of that effect. Their second miscalculation had been the interference of some snot-nosed brats and a G-Man. Whatever that was.

She and other members of their organization managed to flee before facing legal consequences. Their boss's ambition still burned in their hearts. After all, it was an idea that he had drilled into their minds from day one. But they could not expect to stay in their home region to fulfill it. There were many new factors standing in their way. Starting from square one with those factors was not an amusing prospect.

After some time, they heard whispers of a far-off land. The rumors of events that had transpired there were intriguing. Something about the artificial manufacture of Pokémon, and harnessing their unrestricted, untapped abilities. Inspiration struck. They would go to this land, she decided, and make a fresh attempt at their goal. Some of her workers objected: the citizens would already know what to expect.

"We'll be doing something different," she had told them. "We can fulfill our dream, our vision. Even if the organizations there met an end, we can assimilate them. Put them under a new name, a new identity." She paused here, thinking again about how her boss had failed. They — she — could do things different, perhaps even better. "With our cause, we can persuade the public. Steer them towards accepting us. Our cause is for the good of all. " She pointed at a map of their destination, projected on the wall behind her. "Here, the citizens will accept it."

In the end, they agreed. They arrived in secret, and proceeded to delve through the backwaters of this land. They scoured for the relics of the organization that had roamed here before. Fate rewarded their efforts, and they managed to recruit key people into their midst. A greater stroke of luck was finding new faces, ones unrecognizable to the public. This further insured their ability to remain unknown, until the time was right.

Finally, after all their hard work, everything was in place. She felt confident and assured that things would work in their favor. There would be no mistakes this time. No rash decisions, no unthoughtful actions. There would be layers upon layers, backups for the backups. Her — their — ambition would come to light. If — no, when — successful, they would revel in the glory, the triumph of success. She would be vindicated, free from the inherited failure of their old boss.

She turned to her aide. He straightened up, ready for whatever order she had for him. "It's time," she announced. "Alert all hands: Operation Cloudburst begins now."

Norman placed the parcel onto the table, calling up the stairs. "May! Package for you!"

The Petalburg City Gym Leader looked down at the plain brown box. It appeared nondescript, sporting nothing but an address label and a few stamps. "Although as a father," He murmured, glancing at the box over the top of his coffee mug. "Mail without a return address makes me nervous..."

A distinctive sound of feet descending the steps announced May's arrival. She was Norman's oldest child, a seasoned Pokémon Coordinator, and had recently returned home. A neat pair of jeans and a t-shirt was her attire of choice for this early morning. Her bright blues eyes fell upon the parcel and her face contorted in confusion. "If it helps, Dad," She said, approaching the table. "I haven't ordered anything lately."

"I'm still recovering from that last credit card bill, young lady." Norman replied, taking a sip of coffee, as May looked embarrassed. Even a Gym Leader can have the normal issues of raising a teenage daughter.

"This has no return address," said May, leaning forward to exam the package. It was about ten inches long, five inches high, and five inches wide. She looked up at her father, face apprehensive. "Is it okay if I open it?"

Norman scratched his head, thinking it over. "Well, I did let you go out into the world at age ten, training creatures with crazy powers. I suppose letting you open one unmarked package wouldn't hurt."

"I love you, too, Dad. If my bedroom explodes, it's on you." Shaking her head at her father, May took the parcel and carried it upstairs to her bedroom.

She placed the box down on the floor, closing the door shut behind her with her foot. She grabbed a pair of scissors from her desk. "Okay, mystery gift... let's see what you have for me."

May cut open the tape and opened the flaps. Inside sat a smaller, metallic box surrounded by sheets of bubble wrap. "Always liked this stuff." She removed the second box and placed it on the floor. This box was about seven inches long, four inches high, and four inches wide. It was also sealed with a small padlock. Yet May found no key amongst the sheets of bubble wrap. "Now that's a little weird..."

Standing up, May grabbed a red-and-white Ping-Pong ball-sized object from her desk. She pressed the button on the front of the Poké Ball once, and it expanded. A second press and it burst open in a flash of light. A foxlike creature appeared from the Poké Ball onto the floor. Soft cyan fur with dark blue rhombus marks lined its slender body. The Glaceon shook and stretched its body before looking up at its Trainer.

"Good morning, Glaceon." May stroked her Pokémon, the Ice-type's fur feeling cool to the touch. "I've got a locked box, but no key... could you use Iron Tail to break it open for me, please?"

Glaceon nodded, so May stood up and moved back a little as her Pokémon arched its back. Its tail gleamed a bright silver and stiffened completely. With a sharp swing and a loud snap, Glaceon sliced the padlock in two. The bottom half clattered to the floor. Glaceon let out a small bark of glee, and May smiled. "Thanks for that." She said, patting its head before turning her attention back to the metal box.

She lifted open the lid, one hand in front of her face in case anything unsavory jumped out. The only thing inside was some sort of electronic device. It sat within a precise indentation of the box's soft lining. The sheer strangeness of the contraption took May aback. The best comparison she could make was to a tablet computer.

It was about five inches long, two inches wide, and a quarter-inch thick. Connected to the bottom were fabric straps. May figured they attached it to her arm. (She wondered why she thought of herself wearing it when she didn't even know what it was.) There were also three straps coming from the bottom and both sides on one end. They lead to a small, circular piece with a concave surface. It appeared to match against the surface of a closed Poké Ball exactly.

May turned to look at Glaceon, who had moved up next to its Trainer in curiosity. "Might as well see what this thing does, right?" There were no physical buttons on the device, so May pressed a fingertip to the screen. It light up immediately and projected a three-dimensional image just above the device's screen.

As May watched, the image morphed into the form of a slender adult woman in a lab coat and glasses. The entire image displayed in green, making it difficult to determine her features. Her face appeared both stern and sad as she spoke. "If you are hearing this, then it means you have received the Snag Machine Mark Three."

"What the heck is a Snag Machine?" May asked Glaceon, despite knowing her Pokémon had no more idea than she did. As if having anticipated this question, the hologram spoke again.

"The Snag Machine is a device created for snagging Pokémon." May's jaw dropped open. What was the woman talking about? "While you may object to this notion, know that it only works on corrupted Pokémon. They are also known as Shadow Pokémon. The region of Orre is being overtaken by people using them."

The image of the woman then disappeared and replaced with a map of a barren desert land. Small diamond shapes denoted the locations of towns, cities, and other landmarks. The woman's voice continued to speak. "I ask that you travel Orre, snag the Shadow Pokémon, and bring down their users."

The woman reappeared, her face somber. "I fear that there is more at risk than just the wellbeing of Pokémon. There is a sinister plot afoot that must not continue. I'll be sending you more messages in due time. Good-bye." The hologram disappeared, leaving May staring in disbelief at the screen.

She turned to Glaceon, who stared back up at her. Both Trainer and Pokémon had similar confused expressions on their faces. "Why did I get this? I'm a Coordinator, not a superhero." May looked back down at the device in her hands. A realization came to her: the fate of an entire region now rested there as well.

This Snag Machine, she thought, offered tremendous power. The ability to "snag" Pokémon was not something to mishandle or abuse. May knew she would have to handle it with delicate care. It was her responsibility now.

But was the woman's message true? About the "sinister plot"? If so, refusing this burden would likely have untold consequences for Orre. But what if it was a trap? It seemed too much effort had gone into this package for that to be true. May heaved a heavy sigh. "Looks like May's Expeditions got another season… whether I like it or not."

Norman was completely understanding of May's news of an unexpected trip. "Those are the best kind." He told her, standing up from his breakfast plate. "Before I forget, though, I have something for you."

"One mysterious package wasn't enough?" May asked, already annoyed at one surprise that morning. She had changed into light, comfortable clothes fit for travel before coming back downstairs. Her outfit now was white shorts pulled over black bicycle shorts with a red tank top. May had her bandana folded it into a narrow strip before tying it on backwards. The ends of the knot stuck out the top of her head like Buneary ears.

A yellow fanny pack settled around her waist. Her Pokémon, always a necessity, were safe inside, resting in their Poké Balls. The Snag Machine was also there, inside of a zippered pocket. May wasn't quite sure how the strange device worked, at least not yet. She was planning to experiment with it during the long voyage to Orre.

Norman, knowing that the question wasn't directed at him, ignored it. Instead, he went over to the hall closet and pulled out a shopping bag from it. "Brendan told me to give you this if you left on another journey." Brendan Birch, son of Professor Birch, was a childhood friend of May's family. He was also, more often than not, a thorn in her side. One of his hobbies, for some reason, was clothing design. Sometimes he would ask May to model his newest travesty, which never ended well for him.

"Tell him I'll kick his butt when I get home." May wasn't looking forward to whatever was in that bag. But Brendan had a surprising amount of foresight. He usually knew what May needed before she herself even knew she needed it. One way or another, whatever was in the bag would somehow come in handy.

"No 'thank you'?"

"Only if this is useful at all." Standing up on tip-toe, May kissed her father on the cheek. "Bye, Dad. I have a boat to catch. Tell Mom and Max I'll try to call when I can." May sighed as she left the house, closing the front door behind her. The thought of whatever trials were waiting in her future was not appealing. With a deep breath, May began her trek towards Slateport City. There, a sea liner was waiting to take her to what would be the most difficult fight of her life.

To be continued...

Comments? Thoughts? All are welcome. If there's enough interest, I'll remind myself to post the new chapters here.

Another new author and another new story, eh?

Technical Accuracy/Style
Not a lot to complain about here. Decent formatting goes a long way towards readability - I have trouble getting into stories obviously copy-pasted straight out of the Word document. The editing does show here. I would try and avoid giving dimensions for objects all the time, though. It's a little inelegant and can slow the story down, especially if they're really incidental

Story
Seems to be a mishmash of anime, manga and game canon here. I guess the real thing to mention here is that I'm suspending my disbelief at the premise. There is something quite Incredibles about it - mysterious package, mysterious request immediately accepted. It need not be bad, as such, but the plot will need to be a good one to get away with it

Characters
Not a lot to say here, I mean I suppose I'm glad that you seem to have gone for a more anime-May rather than her ridiculous manga appearance. Other than that there's really not a lot to comment on

Final Thoughts
I've seen many worse starts to a story. On the whole it perhaps rushes out of the door a bit quickly. I can't say it's gripping but I won't say it's dreadful either

Thanks for the review! I'd like to address things point-by-point, but hopefully I don't come off as pedantic.

Another new author and another new story, eh?
Half-right: General Kross & I have a few good years of experience behind us, but we're always willing to expand and improve.

Beth Pavell said:
Technical Accuracy/Style
Not a lot to complain about here. Decent formatting goes a long way towards readability - I have trouble getting into stories obviously copy-pasted straight out of the Word document. The editing does show here. I would try and avoid giving dimensions for objects all the time, though. It's a little inelegant and can slow the story down, especially if they're really incidental
We wanted to get the right "feel" for things, so I made sure to check and double-check the original document for any formatting details. As for the dimensions, I will agree that it seems inelegant: we wanted to get the general image of the device across, at least in terms of size. On the whole, we're experimenting an editing program and it's a general departure from our usual styles, so this story may have a vastly different approach than what's "normal" for us.

Beth Pavell said:
Story
Seems to be a mishmash of anime, manga and game canon here. I guess the real thing to mention here is that I'm suspending my disbelief at the premise. There is something quite Incredibles about it - mysterious package, mysterious request immediately accepted. It need not be bad, as such, but the plot will need to be a good one to get away with it
It's mainly anime canon, but we have merged aspects from other canons into it: Brendan and the ORAS outfit, for example, from the games; Brendan's sewing skills from Special. As for the plot, I'd rather not divulge more than necessary, of course, but it's fairly planned out (only up to a certain point at the moment, granted, so there's still work to be done). We're both confident and hopeful that we'll be able to give our idea justice.

Beth Pavell said:
Characters
Not a lot to say here, I mean I suppose I'm glad that you seem to have gone for a more anime-May rather than her ridiculous manga appearance. Other than that there's really not a lot to comment on
The first chapter's probably the most difficult to comment on in terms of characters, especially when you're dealing with pre-established characters (as fan-fiction often does). We do have original characters planned for later, so there'll be more to discuss on that as the story progresses.

Beth Pavell said:
Final Thoughts
I've seen many worse starts to a story. On the whole it perhaps rushes out of the door a bit quickly. I can't say it's gripping but I won't say it's dreadful either
That only means General Kross and I will have to work even harder, then. We're ironing out chapter 2 and hope to have it ready soon (this chapter was finished last week and posted here now because we haven't gotten much feedback elsewhere). Thank you once again for your input!

First of all, I sincerely apologize for the long wait in getting this chapter published. There were issues mostly beyond our control, but here we are in the end! You may notice some differences in writing styles between this chapter and the last one: that’s because we abandoned the editing program we had used for chapter 1, and doing so allows us to return to our original, comfortable styles.

Huge acknowledgement to PervyAngel of deviantArt for allowing us to use their artwork for the outfit used in the story, which makes its appearance below.

Chapter 2
“Adventure in the Land of Desert! VS Abyss Grunt”​
These Bird Pokémon only served to mock me. May thought. She was standing on the bow of the S.S. Tidal, watching a flock of Pelipper fly overhead. They were squawking without a care to what troubles may be occurring around them. Mother Nature as a whole seemed oblivious to her stress. The sky was clear blue with a light amount of clouds. A gentle breeze caressed her face, bringing the taste of salt water up from the sea.

“You alright there, lass?” asked a voice from behind her. Turning around, May saw it was Mr. Briney, the captain. A veteran sailor, he had recognized May from their first meeting a couple of years ago. He was happy to take the Tidal away from its usual Slateport-Lilycove course. Peeko, his companion Wingull, perched on his shoulder.

“Peachy.” May replied. While she trusted Mr. Briney, she didn’t want to divulge more information than necessary. But she could at least ask what Orre was like. No doubt the experienced seafarer knew about the different regions of the world.

“I assume you’re familiar with Route 111.” Mr. Briney said. May nodded, trying to avoid the glare from the captain’s bald head. “Orre’s a lot like that: dry and sandy. Oh sure, there are cities and towns, but you’ll need a way to go between them. Walking will just get you dehydrated. There are a handful of areas with vegetation, though.”

He scratched his bearded chin before continuing. Peeko stretched his wings out behind his owner’s head. “I have heard some unsavory things, though. It’s a hive of trouble there. Lots of thugs and criminals. Not too safe.”

“Good thing I know how to protect myself.” May said with a small laugh. And good thing there’ll be plenty of sources to gather information. “You won’t need to worry about leaving me there, Mr. Briney.”

“Aye, lass.” Mr. Briney smiled from behind his bushy white moustache. “I’ve heard a handful of things from your father. Quite proud of you, he is.”
May blinked. This was one of the last things she expected to hear. It was quite a surprise to hear that Norman took pride in her. And from an outside source, at that. “You talk to my dad?”

“Aye, he and I go way back. He’s a good man, Norman. Helped me out once or twice.” Mr. Briney looked down at her. “You didn’t know?”
“No.” May turned back to face the horizon. A rather strong breeze came by, blowing her hair past her face. “He doesn't tell me that much.” She wouldn't think that Norman had any semblance of a life outside of his Gym. He almost never made time for his family. Why would friends be any different?

Mr. Briney didn’t press the issue, and departed back to his cabin. There were only a few sailors working on the deck, but they had no reason to talk to passengers. May continued staring out at the water for a while until she decided to head to her cabin. She wanted to have everything ready once they made land later that afternoon.

May hadn’t looked at Brendan’s gift yet. The bag just sat on the bed in her cabin for the time being. She was more interested in figuring out the Snag Machine. She sat on the edge of the bed and touched the screen. The device came to life, but did not play a holographic message this time. Instead, four icons displayed in a square pattern. A Poké Ball labeled “Snag” sat in the top-left corner. A globe labeled “Map” nestled beside it. The other two icons below included an envelope labeled “Comm.” and a gear labeled “Settings”.

Er… where would I find the directions for this? I guess in Settings? May tapped the gear icon with her finger, and new options replaced the initial ones. “Display”, “Sound”, and “Info” were the choices this time. She tapped “Info”, and a handful of paragraphs appeared.

Use the Snag Machine when a Shadow Pokémon is ready to capture. May read. Place a Poké Ball against the Capture Core. The text now disappeared, replaced by an image of the device itself. An arrow pointed to the concave surface with the words “Capture Core” next to it. After placing a Poké Ball, tap “Snag”. The Poké Ball will convert into a Snag Ball, which is then thrown at a Shadow Pokémon.

“Seems easy enough, I guess.”

Only Snag Balls can capture Shadow Pokémon. Any type of Poké Ball can convert to a Snag Ball. The Snag Machine requires time to recharge after preparing a Snag Ball. Please limit use of the Snag Machine to once every three minutes.

“I agree to the terms and conditions.” Quipped May, as the main menu appeared back on the screen. “That solves that problem, then. I think I’ll get a better feel for it once I have to use it.” Just then the ship’s PA system blared to life. It took May by surprise and almost made her drop the Snag Machine.
Thank you for sailing with us today. We will arrive at Gateon Port in 15 minutes. Please gather your belongings in preparation for landing.”

There was no avoiding it now. May had to open the shopping bag and see whatever Brendan had prepared for her. Otherwise she’d get distracted and miss her chance. She took a moment to brace herself before removing the contents. “… I am going to kill him!”

The S.S. Tidal eased to a stop next to one of the docks. A sailor lowered the anchor into the water, where it landed with a splash. Sailors on the ground brought over a boarding ladder for the passengers to disembark. Among those passengers was, of course, May. She felt rather warm, and not just because of the sun beating down. She had changed into the clothes that Brendan packed for her, and she was not pleased at all.

The top resembled a corset with three black-and-gold straps across the stomach. It covered May’s chest (which she was thankful for), but left her shoulders exposed. She had exchanged her shorts for a ruffled skirt. One layer each of white and dark red laid sandwiched between two layers of black. White fingerless gloves ran up to the middle of her upper arms. Navy blue stockings protected her legs from the harsh sunlight.

Instead of sneakers, she had yellow-toed boots. They were dark red as well, with navy scree collars and a stripe running along the front. She even had a new bag. While the same style as her old one, it had different colors. Dark red, navy, and yellow matched it with the rest of her outfit. She kept her bandana on to maintain at least some aspect of her normal wear. As for the Snag Machine, it was now strapped to May’s right wrist. The Capture Core sat in the middle of her palm due to the positioning of the straps.

May descended from the ship, grumbling to herself. “When I get home, I'm gonna find Brendan Birch and make him regret this.” She was reluctant to admit it, but she did think the outfit was stylish. Yet she felt that it made her easier to pick out from a crowd when she needed to stay under the radar. Plus, it fit her exactly, meaning Brendan somehow knew her measurements. The idea made her skin crawl in displeasure.

Having reached solid ground, she moved away from the boarding ladder and looked around. Gateon Port was the only harbor in Orre, but she hadn't expected it to be as small as it was. There were only a handful of buildings, some of which appeared to be houses. A couple were even out in the water, sitting on concrete pillars. A long, narrow platform stretched across the water. It did not seem to connect to those houses, leading May to wonder how people got in or out. At the edge of the bay stood a tall lighthouse. Its sea green paint had faded from so many years in the harsh sun.

May could see the Pokémon Center on her left, a holographic Poké Ball floating over its entrance. Next to it was the Poké Mart, complete with a theatre-esque sign. The last building, shaped like a Ludicolo, had lights all around it. Green and blue bulbs flashed in the bright daylight. Just to her right was a path leading further inland.

May was just wondering where to go first when the Snag Machine started to vibrate. She raised her arm to look at the screen. The envelope icon now had a small circled “1” at the bottom-right corner. “Mm? A new message…” She glanced around for onlookers, but there wasn’t anyone around.

She pressed the icon and the hologram of the scientist woman appeared. Nothing was different about her appearance, including her solemn expression. “Welcome to Orre.” Said the hologram. “I must direct you to the Poké Mart. I’ve left an important item for you there. Ask the owner for ‘the latest fashion’. Good luck, and once again, good-bye.”

May stared at the Snag Machine as the message finished. Two mystery gifts were bad enough, but a third? Then again, the message did say it was important. Shaking her head at herself, May began walking towards the Poké Mart. She had only taken a few steps when thoughts began flooding her brain.

First, how did the woman know she had arrived? Well, that's kind of obvious. May told herself. There's the map function on this thing. It was probable to assume that the scientist woman was tracking May's journey and sending her messages based on her current location. I just hope no one else will be able to do that. May still didn't know who the scientist woman was, exactly, but she was the only person to trust for the time being.

Next, how was she supposed to tell when a Pokémon is a Shadow Pokémon? Were there any differences between the two in the first place? May didn't want to capture a normal Pokémon by accident. The Snag Machine didn’t say that it was capable of distinguishing one from the other. Maybe this third Mystery Gift is the answer. She thought, as she approached the Poké Mart.

The glass doors slid open to allow her inside. It pleased May to see that Poké Marts in Orre weren't much different than the ones back in Hoenn. Fluorescent lighting illuminated shelves of merchandise. Posters on the walls and windows advertised sales and special deals. The only other customer was a man in dark clothing and sunglasses near the back wall.

May went up to front counter. The clerk, a middle-aged man with an apron, smiled at her. "Afternoon." He said. "What can I do for you?"

"Do you have anything on the latest fashion?" May asked, reminded of the old spy movies her dad liked to watch. If she had to be honest, it kind of excited her. Using code words and secret activities reminded her of games she used to play as a kid. Of course, back then, it was just that: a game. Now it was actual espionage where losing was more than just a slap on the wrist.

The clerk nodded at May’s question and reached under the counter. He handed her a cardboard box, much like the package she had received that morning. "Anything else you need?" He asked as the dark-clothed man got in line behind May.

"No, I think that's it. Thank you." She exchanged smiles with the clerk and left the store. There was a small bench right by the doors, so May sat down and placed the box on her lap. It was smaller than either box she had opened this morning. It was not sealed with tape. Instead the flaps sat folded under each other. Pulling open the flaps, she said, "And inside package number three is..."

A sheet of crumpled tissue paper. Frowning at the anti-climax, May moved it aside. Underneath was the actual prize. Sitting on more crumpled tissue paper was a pair of red aviator goggles.

"That's it?" May brought the goggles up to her face to examine them better. They were leather, with the lenses protruding out a bit. This would prevent sand and other debris from getting into the wearer's eyes. The strap was thin but wide enough to prevent it from breaking. But other than their color, nothing appeared extraordinary about them.

May leaned back against the bench, still holding the goggles up. She didn't know if she should feel disappointed or not. She wasn't expecting anything in particular, so she didn't have any standards. Yet these goggles just seemed lackluster, particularly compared to the Snag Machine. (And, she supposed, the outfit.)

The Poké Mart doors slid open again, and the dark-clothed man came running out. He had a bag gripped tight in one hand, and a black bandana covering his nose, mouth, and chin. The clerk came out as well, looking stricken and worried.

"Stop! Thief!" The clerk cried. "I got robbed! He took all the money!"

May shot to her feet, the empty box falling from her lap. Crumpled paper scattered on the ground. Still holding the goggles, she reached into her bag for a Poké Ball. She looked over at the running man, who had turned around at the clerk's voice. He must have seen her Poké Ball, because he was now holding one as well.

The running man skidded to a stop and heaved his Poké Ball. May tossed hers, and they both landed on the ground and split open. From May's came a massive, teal-colored creature resembling a toad with a wide head. Short, powerful legs supported its body. The most eye-catching thing about this Pokémon was the vegetation on its back. A thick trunk surrounded by fronds supported a large, pink flower. A yellow seed poked out from the center of the flower, showing the Venusaur was female.

The Pokémon that emerged from the thief's Poké Ball was completely different. Fluffy, white feathers made its body and wings resemble a cloud. Two small feet and five tail feathers poked out from the bottom. A long, elegant neck ended with a round, beaked head. Two ribbons flowed from the top its head. May recognized this Pokémon from when she explored Hoenn: it was an Altaria.

Without warning, a beeping sound started. May looked around for the source, and found it: the goggles. But why would the goggles be making noise? Looking at them, she could see an image of some sort displayed on the lenses. Guess there's only one thing to do. May slipped the goggles on her head and secured them over her eyes.

This answered her previous question about distinguishing Shadow Pokémon. Now that she was wearing the goggles, May could see an aura flowing around the Altaria. It drifted around the Humming Pokémon like smoke, albeit dyed a deep purple. "So this is a Shadow Pokémon." She murmured.

"If you're spacing out with your new accessory, you're going to lose!" The thief was shouting at her, and it shook May out her reprieve. "Let me show you the power of my Pokémon! Altaria! Shadow Rush!" The Pokémon spread its wings, the smoky aura around it intensifying. Then it charged at Venusaur, ramming full-force into the Grass-type.

Venusaur winced, emitting a low growl. May could see a mark appearing on her Pokémon's forehead. She didn't think the Altaria's attack had hurt that much. Yet Venusaur was reacting as though it got attacked with a Fire-type move. Something's not right. She thought. That Altaria's doing more damage than it should. "Alright Venusaur," May said. "Let's not give that Altaria another chance. Try a Sludge Bomb!"

Crouching a bit, Venusaur launched a glob of solidified poison from her flower. The toxic projectile arced through the air, small drops splattering onto the ground. It landed on the Altaria before it had a chance to evade, coating it in poison. The Flying-type cried out in pain, even as the attack dissipated. May could see a purple "blush" appearing on the Altaria's face. Venusaur's attack had poisoned it.

"What the hell are you doing?!" The thief snarled as his Altaria shuddered, the poison coursing through its body. "We're part of Abyss! We're not supposed to lose!"

Abyss? May's mind began to race. He said it as a name, likely that of a group. If they were using Shadow Pokémon, could they be the people trying to take over Orre? Either way, this thief was her first piece of information. She had to get more out of him once the battle was over. But for now, snagging the Altaria took priority.

The thief, meanwhile, was not in a good mood. His superiors had entrusted him with a precious Shadow Pokémon. He should be defeating anyone who tried to stop him. Yet here he was, getting shown up by some brat. That would please neither himself nor his supervisors. He had to end this battle now, and he knew just how to do it.

"Use Shadow Rush." He snapped at Altaria. "And don't even think about stopping." He smiled underneath his bandana as Altaria lunged towards Venusaur. There was nothing like having a completely obedient and ruthless Pokémon on your side.

May's Venusaur fired off a Razor Leaf as the Altaria approached, but it dodged out of the way. As Altaria soared back around for another assault, May got an idea. She whispered it to Venusaur, who nodded her understanding. The Seed Pokémon braced itself as Altaria rammed her with continuous Shadow Rushes.

"You're not gonna win like that!" Taunted the thief. May kept quiet. She had to pay attention, waiting for the right moment. Even a large Pokémon Venusaur could only take so much damage. If May missed her chance, this battle wasn't going to end well for her.

As the Altaria hurled towards Venusaur for a sixth time, it happened. The poison unleashed a fresh surge through its bloodstream, and it froze in midair. This is what May was waiting for. "Now, Venusaur! Grab it with Vine Whip!"

Thick, dark green vines lashed out from the base of Venusaur's trunk. They wrapped around Altaria, restricting its movements. It tried to struggle, but the vines were too tight. Then Venusaur yanked her vines straight down, slamming Altaria into the ground. This kicked up a huge cloud of dust, obscuring the battlefield for a moment.

Venusaur retracted her vines as the dust settled, revealing the Altaria. It was lying unconscious in a small crater, worn out from poison and the impact. Its aura was still visible through the goggles. It was time at last for May to try out the Snag Machine.
She grabbed an empty Poké Ball from her bag and grasped it in her right hand. The Poké Ball was flush up against the concave surface of the Capture Core. May tapped the "Snag" icon on the screen. Both the Capture Core and the Poké Ball glowed gold for a brief moment. Now the screen only displayed one word: "Capture".

"Here goes nothing!" May tossed the Poké Ball at the unconscious Altaria. The Poké Ball opened on contact. It enveloped the Altaria in light before drawing it inside. It clattered onto the ground, the center button flashing. May held her breath, watching the Poké Ball wiggle back and forth. Once... twice... three times... click.

May exhaled, relief flooding her body. The Snag Machine worked as promised. She walked forward and picked up the Poké Ball. As May already had a full party of six Pokémon, the center light remained red. Unless she swapped out a Pokémon, she wouldn't be able to use the Shadow Altaria for now.
She lifted the goggles off her eyes and looked up. The thief just staring at her. If he wasn't wearing the bandana, May would be able to see his mouth hanging open.

"Did... did you just capture my Pokémon?" He asked in disbelief.

"... Yeah."

They stared at each other for a moment. Then the thief turned and start to run. But May wasn't about to let him get away, especially since he was still holding the money bag. "Oh no you don't!" She yelled. "Venusaur!"

Venusaur lashed out with her vines again, pinning the thief's arms to his sides. He continued swinging his legs even as Venusaur lifted him up into the air. The thief was still swinging his legs, but realizing the futility, desisted. The Pokémon held him in front of her Trainer. He did his best to glare at her until he remembered he was wearing sunglasses.

"So," said May, hands on her hips, brow furrowed. "You have some explaining to do."

"I'm not gonna tell you anything." snapped the thief. He gripped the bag of stolen cash tighter in his hand. He may have lost his Shadow Pokémon, but he wasn't about to give up on the money. At least until May yanked the bag out of his hand.

"I'm taking this back, at least." May tapped her foot, thinking of what she could do to get this guy to talk. She thought it improbable that he was a first-time offender given his attitude. This rendered threats of jail or similar punishments useless.

"Okay, I'll make this simple." She told the thief. "I'm only gonna ask one question. Give me an answer, and I let you go. Stay quiet, and Venusaur keeps you as a new stuffed toy. Sound good?" The thief nodded, so May posed her question. "Where's the closest Abyss base?"

The thief pointed left to the path leading out of port. It was difficult to do with his arms trapped against his torso, but he managed. "Out east that way. In Pyrite Town."

Satisfied, May nodded at Venusaur, who released her grip on the thief. He fell to the ground. He was only about two feet in the air, so he landed with a small "oof!”

"See?" said May, a light smile across her lips. "That wasn't so bad." She turned away from him, switching the Altaria's Poké Ball for her Venusaur's. As she recalled her Pokémon, she saw the thief running away out of the corner of her eye. May had already retrieved both the stolen money and the Shadow Pokémon. She had no reason to chase him.

But he wasn't running the way he had pointed. Instead, the thief ran straight towards the Ludicolo-shaped building, off to the right. He had lied to her face and went off in the opposite direction to escape. But by coincidence, Max was keen with pulling that same trick. May knew better than to fall for it by this point. That’s why she had asked for an answer instead of the right answer. She figured the thief would lie, and letting him do so revealed the true location.

"Of course." She mused, staring at the flashing lights draped across the building. "What could be more inconspicuous than an illuminated pineapple duck?"

To be continued...

Comments? Thoughts? I welcome and appreciate all.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: Pokémon is copyright its original owners. The authors only own the plot and original characters. Any representation of real persons, dead or alive, is purely coincidental unless it makes a damn good reference.

For the none of you who actually read this, here's chapter three. I apologize for the delay, but there were some issues with the editing, but, as you can see, it's all been worked out. I've also edited a discrepancy in chapter two, which was totally on me. I'm only human after all.

Chapter Four is in progress, so I'll do my best to reduce the time between updates. I'd really like to see this project succeed, and being punctual is a good way to do that.

Anyways, enough of my rambling, let's get on with the story.

Chapter 3
“Heads-or-Tails Casino Battle! VS Abyss Admin Galli!”
The flashing lights, alternating between lime green and aqua blue, made May’s eyes water just by looking at them. She blinked to dispel the tears welling up and stared at the building again. Shaped like a Ludicolo with its arms raised, the beak-like mouth formed the doorway, the upper segment acting as an awning. A pink neon sign reading “Lucky Ludicolo” sat just above the double steel doors.

This is incredibly tacky. May thought, reaching the awning’s minimal shade. She grabbed one of the handles and wrenched a door open.

A torrent of sound almost blew her backwards, and she slipped inside before unnecessary attention could be drawn towards her. The door closed with a snap behind her, and for a moment she wondered how thick they had to be if all the noise couldn’t be heard from outside. Taking a few seconds to reorient herself, May stepped up to the railing in front of her and peered around.

As she should have gleaned from the name, the Lucky Ludicolo turned out to be a casino. Slot machines lined both walls on the lower floor, clinking and chiming as their players deposited coins and yanked levers. Aligned in the middle sat roulette tables, pearly-white marbles spinning around the actual roulettes, the whirring of their motion hardly discernable among the loud talking and cheering.

Further back, May could see card tables, with sharply-dressed dealers flicking out cards to the people sitting around them. A small curtained stage lay flush up against the far wall. Spotlights hung from rafters directly above. Looking back up the second floor where she was standing, May saw finely polished oak bars, with patrons sipping drinks under dimmed lighting. To her right, a counter with a sign reading “CHANGE” had a line of people waiting to trade in cash for coins.

It’s the Mauville Game Corner all over again. May leaned against the railing with her chin in her palm. But why would that thief (now “Abyss Grunt” since he all but declared his affiliation during the battle) run in here? Glancing down at the sea of people below, May couldn’t see anyone matching the description. There were people in dark clothing, but they wore tuxedos and dresses rather than just normal clothing that happened to be dark. She hoped this wasn’t another trick and that the Grunt had faked her out. He didn’t seem smart enough for that…

A loud fanfare disrupted May’s thoughts and she jolted upright. The spotlights were converging onto the stage, and all the casino patrons stopped and turned to watch (those sitting at the bar either ignored it or glanced over before returning to their drinks). The curtains pulled back, revealing microphone stands, a drum kit, and guitars. For a moment May thought a band was going to play, and it seemed to be true when a girl walked on stage, but the girl walked up to the front-most microphone and no one else appeared behind her.

“Greetings one and all!” said the girl, spreading her arms out wide in welcome. She was adorned in a rather particular outfit: a gray polo shirt under a long-sleeved pink shirt with a tutu (itself under a red vest), and pink boots. Her hands were gloved and one was clutching a baton. A purple top hat nestled on top of her short, dirty blonde hair. “Welcome to the Lucky Ludicolo!”

The girl paused here, as the crowd had started cheering and whooping. “My name is Manya, and I’ll be your hostess for today. We have a few musical acts and performances lined up for later, so look forward to them! Please enjoy your stay!”

The crowd applauded as Manya departed the stage, the curtains closing after her. As the crowd returned to its pre-announcement level of chatter, May turned to one of the bars. If the movies she had watched were any indication, bartenders usually saw things most people didn’t. Maybe one of them had seen the Grunt running through here earlier.

“Lotsa people come runnin’ through here,” said the first bartender she tried, a bored-looking man with a narrow face. “I just serve drinks.” He turned away to serve a customer, giving May time to sigh without him noticing.

The bartender looked back at her, picking up a glass and drying it with a towel. “Look, if you’re really tryin’ to find someone, go downstairs and ask to see Manya. She’s pretty popular, and prob'ly knows somethin’. Tell ‘er Jack sent you over.”

This better work, May thought as she made her way down the stairs, leaning against the wall to allow a harassed-looking waiter to pass by. But again, why would that guy run in here? Perhaps he knew the casino would be crowded, and would be able to sneak away from her… but wouldn’t his dark clothing make him stand out, even amongst all the suits and fancy clothes? Maybe the Grunt worked here… but then, why rob the Mart? Either way, there was some connection between the Grunt and this casino. May hoped Manya would be willing to answer her questions, but there was only one way to find out.

May weaved through tables and gamblers until she found herself in front of the stage. The curtains were still down, and there didn’t seem to be any doors nearby. Glancing around for any security personnel, May clambered onto the stage, hoping that no one was looking over, and slipped behind the heavy curtains. There was much less lighting back here, so it was difficult to see at first. Gradually her eyesight adjusted, and she could make out the musical equipment.

Now where could Manya have gone? May moved over the rear stage, hands gliding over the wall, looking for a hidden door or something. When that failed, she moved down to the floor in case there was a trap door. Nothing. Frowning with her hands on her hips, May looked around the stage again. A small flash caught her attention: there was a small divide between the curtains, and light was reflecting off a thin ladder just off to the side.

Hiding in the attic, are we? May began her ascent, attempting to stay quiet. The last thing she needed was for some large security guard to grab her leg and yank her down. The ladder ended, and May pulled herself up. She was standing in a dimly-lit hallway that seemed to be a hidden section of the second floor. Doors lined the sides, with plaques reading things like “Storage” or “Custodial”.

May set off down the hallway, a dank, musty smell filling her nose. Her footsteps were muffled by the dirty carpeting on the floor, silencing her approach. I hope this isn’t the VIP section. She heard herself thinking, as she stole quick looks at each door in turn. Finally, on the last door, was a faded plaque reading “Manya”. With a deep, steadying breath, May rapped lightly on the door.

“Who is it?” asked Manya’s voice, muffled by the door.

“Jack sent me.” Replied May, turning away to make sure no one was coming up the hallway.

There was no immediate response, but after a moment a lock clattered. May turned back in time to see Manya’s bemused face poking out of the open door.

“C'mon in,” said Manya, standing aside to let her pass. May stepped over the threshold as Manya shut and locked the door.

The room was very small and cramped. A small vanity with a cracked mirror sat in a corner, a rusty bar stool sitting in front of it. Standing next to the door was a wooden coatrack, Manya’s top hat dangling from the top-most peg. The left-most wall was taken up by a wardrobe, and the only lighting was a bare lightbulb in the middle of the ceiling.

“It’s not much,” Manya said, noticing May looking around. “I may be the hostess, but the owner doesn’t think highly of me.” She sat down on the bar stool and crossed her legs, staring up at May. She seemed to be about the same age as May, if not slightly younger. “So what can I do for ya?”

“I’m looking for someone,” Said May, the words spilling out of her mouth. She was so urgent to find the Grunt that she didn’t consider how best to phrase her request. “And the bartender — Jack, I mean — said you’d know who I’m looking for.”

Manya’s thin eyebrows narrowed, her mouth twisted into a slight frown. “I see lots of people,” she said, picking up a damp tissue from the vanity and wiping the eye shadow and lipstick off her face. “You’ll have to be more specific.”

“Dark clothes, sunglasses, with a bandanna over his mouth.” May rattled off the Grunt’s description, closely watching Manya’s face for signs of recognition. “Came running in here not too long ago.”

Manya slowly lowered the tissue from her face. Her eyes, a light purple, bored into May’s, and her frown became even more pronounced. She didn’t say anything, and the two girls stared at each other, the only sound coming from the flickering light bulb.

With a glance towards the door to make sure it was still locked, Manya said, “You’re after Abyss, then?”

“So you know of them?” May’s heart quickened, and she forced herself to appear calm and collected.

“'Course I know them.” Answered Manya, speaking in a low voice. “They run this place. The owner’s one of the Administrators.” She turned to face the vanity mirror, pulling a hairbrush out of the drawer. “What business do you have with them?”

“I don’t think I’m in a position to say.” May became suddenly aware of the Snag Machine on her wrist and resisted the urge to glance at it. She forced herself to focus on Manya, who was now brushing her hair and watching May through the mirror. “I just have business with them.”

Manya continued brushing her hair, her expression unreadable. She set the brush down and turned to face May again. “What’s your name?”

May hesitated. It just occurred to her that if Manya was part of Abyss, she was giving away her identity to the enemy. If cornered here, her journey would be forced into a very abrupt (and no doubt painful) conclusion. Then she recalled what Manya had said earlier, that she wasn’t on good terms with the owner… it might be risky, but she had to know.

“I need to know that you’re not one of them, first.” She said instead, crossing her arms so that the Snag Machine was hidden under her left arm.

Manya scoffed, folding her arms as well, only in disgust. “I’d rather be dead than with them. I told you, didn’t I? The owner doesn’t like me.”

“Yet you’re working here.” May blurted out before she could stop herself.

Manya sighed and buried her face in her hands, her sandy blonde hair falling over her fingers. Sitting up, she looked at May, eyes tearing up. “It’s not by choice,” She explained, her voice wavering. “It’s complicated, but…” Manya turned away, wiping her eyes on her sleeve, and May felt guilt bubbling in her stomach for not having better constraint.

“I said the owner’s an Admin, right?” Manya murmured, gazing at May with a mix of helplessness and rage. “Well… He’s also my brother. My older, vindictive, Arceus-given-glory brother. He forced me into this whole thing…”

Trying to ignore the burning shame now flowing through her, May stepped a little closer, which wasn’t difficult in the tiny room. “Er… I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring up —”

Manya waved a hand, sniffling. She swallowed and her teary eyes now burned with something like determination. “No, it's… don’t worry. Look, you said…” She paused, and May knew Manya was prompting for her name again.

“May. My name’s May.”

“May, you said you have business with Abyss. The guy you described, it’s the uniform for their foot soldiers. If you’re chasing after him, then he’s probably telling his boss — my brother — all about that. If they find out you’re here… do they?” Manya asked, to which May shook her head and explained what happened after her battle with the Grunt. “Okay, then in that case, at most the base in Pyrite — if there even is one there — will be alerted. Not so much here, but you shouldn’t count on it.”

“You sure know a lot,” May pointed out. “And you say you’re not with them?”

“I know how my brother operates.” Manya wiped her eyes, now burning more fiercely, with her sleeve again. “I’ve always been good with listening carefully without him knowing, so when he has me doing tasks for him I pick up on what he does.” She blinked at May, frowning again. “Are you gonna be going after him now?”

“It seems like it,” May admitted, her stomach twisting itself into a knot at the prospect of battling a powerful Trainer. “If he’s the guy in charge, I’ll have to. You don’t mind, do you?” She added with a light smirk.

Manya shook her head, hair whipping back and forth. “If anything, I’d want to see you pound him… you’re a Trainer, right?”

“Er…” May felt her stomach tighten, which was a surprise considering she didn’t think she could get any more uncomfortable. “I’m a Coordinator. I specialize in Pokémon Contests.”

“Pokémon what?” asked Manya, startled. “Contests? What are those?”

May’s stomach squirmed again, and she hastened to clarify. A chill shot along her body, and she was suddenly aware of how sweaty she had become. “I mean, I can battle. I just… don’t focus on it.”

“Okay,” said Manya, not sounding entirely convinced. “Well, you’re after Abyss one way or another, so you should have some ability, at least…”

“Right.” May wondered off-hand if she had tightened the belts on her corset-like top too much; she didn’t like the idea of being this nervous already.

“I can take you to my brother,” said Manya, the bar stool creaking as she stood up. “He has his own room, on this floor. Follow behind me, but not too close.” She opened the vanity drawer again, putting the hairbrush back and pulling out a couple of Poké Balls. “I can offer some support, too, if needed.”

“I appreciate that.” May smiled with what she hoped was confidence. “Lead the way.”

“By the way,” Manya said as they exited out to the hallway, the musty smell rising back to their noses. “What’s with the outfit?”

“I’d rather not explain that…”

Manya walked through a door opposite her room, which led to another hallway. May followed a few steps behind, so it wouldn’t look like the two girls were walking together. Over her shoulder, Manya said in an undertone, “My brother… his name’s Galli. Just so you know who he is. Although his inflated head would tip you off anyways…”

May smiled to herself, reminded of her own sibling rivalry with her younger brother, Max. They looked after each other, of course, because that’s what siblings do; but there’s always, more often than not, antagonism in that sort of relationship. With the amount of distress Manya displayed back in her room, her connection with Galli seemed to be more than just light-hearted insults and pranks.

They came up to a set of double doors, much like those of the casino’s entrance. Words painted across them read “Casino Manager: Galli”. Loud music was playing inside, with heavy bass notes shaking the floor and their eardrums. Manya stayed off to the side, against the wall. May stood nearby, uncertain of how to proceed.

“I’ll go in first,” Manya said. May had to put her head close to hers just to hear what she was saying; the music prevented them from being overheard, but it also made it difficult for them to hear each other properly. “I’ll tell Galli he has a visitor, and then you come in.”

“That’s it?”

“Trust me, when you see him, you’ll understand. He’s not the brightest person you’ll meet.”

May’s insides gave another unpleasant squirm. She wasn’t keen on just charging in and demanding a battle; that sort of behavior was reserved for people like Brendan Birch and her old traveling companion Ash Ketchum. On the other hand, she had come this far already and it was a necessary step in completing her mission. Plus, to abandon Manya when she, May, had already declared her intentions, was downright rude. At this point, what choice did she have? “Alright.”

Manya nodded, then turned and strode confidently through the doors. May heard muffled voices, and the music was lowered to a more comfortable level.

“…someone here to see you.” Came Manya’s voice.

“Who?” demanded a slow, male voice that had to be Galli’s. It sounded somewhat slurred, yet arrogant and commanding.

“I’ll show you,” said Manya, and one of the double doors swung open into the room. May took it as her cue and strolled on through.

She entered a much larger room than Manya’s dressing room. Large, curtained windows lined each side wall. Speakers and subwoofers stood against the walls nearest the doors, and there was a personal bar towards the back. Nestled in the floor space between sat three black leather couches arranged in a “U”. The two couches on the side each had a person reclining on them, but the middle couch had May’s attention.

Sitting there, sprawled with legs wide and arms up on the back, was Galli. He was blond, like his sister, but his slicked-back hair was bleached instead of sandy. A loose-fitting suit covered his thin, scrawny frame, and his wide mouth was contorted into a scowl. In one of his hands, held between a ringed finger and thumb, was a cigarette. His eyes, deep purple and bloodshot, narrowed at the sight of May.

“Who’re you?” He asked in the same demanding tone as before. Out of the corner of her eye May saw Manya roll her eyes.

“Someone who has urgent business with you.” May replied, trying to keep your voice even and steady. Galli looked like someone who wasn’t to be trifled with, so she wanted to appear as unthreatening as possible (though she knew she didn’t appear to be any magnitude of a threat, silly outfit or not).

“What kind of business?” asked Galli, bringing the cigarette to his lips and inhaling deeply. He exhaled smoke, which dissipated as it drifted up to the ceiling, his eyes roaming over May. “The way you look, I’d think I’d remember you if we’ve met before…”

She had only been talking to him for five seconds and she already hated this piece of work. “Pokémon related, if you can believe that.”

“Ah? Do tell, girlie.” Galli took another breath of his cigarette, his hazed-over eyes still fixed on May.

“Well… I was enjoying your casino,” May said, thinking quickly and hoping her mouth would be able to keep up with her brain. “A little too much, actually… I lost quite a bit of money, my luck is terrible… but it was on my father’s card, and he’d go ballistic if he found out. I saw Manya passing by, so I asked if there was any way to get back what I lost, and she said I had to talk to you.” She could see Manya nodding in affirmation.

Galli said nothing at first, but shifted his gaze slightly to glare at Manya. “Thought you’d take advantage of my generosity, huh?” He spat, before turning back to May, his tone only marginally friendlier. “Normally, I don’t this,” he drawled, as if speaking faster would rob him of the imagined power he was enjoying. “But you’re a fine-looking lady, and I’d hate to disappoint you.”

He stood up, the couch creaking and groaning. He had to be at least six feet tall, and was more intimidating than when he was lounging. “If you beat me in a one-on-one battle, I’ll recoup your losses. Sound good?” He stubbed out his cigarette in an ashtray on the bar behind him.

May nodded, becoming increasingly aware of her sweating. She reached for a Poké Ball when Galli spoke up again.

“Though, if you lose,” He said, his voice dropping to a deep, menacing baritone. “I’ll keep your money, and then some. I am running a business here, after all, and in a casino, the house always wins.”

“Were you practicing that?” asked Manya, now leaning against the wall with her arms folded.

“None of your business,” Galli snapped, pulling a Poké Ball from his suit pocket. The men sitting on the side couches snickered. “You keep outta this, sis, you’ve done your part.”

“Fine, fine.” Manya rolled her eyes again.

“Now then… you ready, girlie?” Without waiting for an answer, Galli tossed his Poké Ball, which clattered on the floor and split open. The Pokémon that emerged from it resembled a large, bipedal lobster. Short, rounded legs supported its weight, aided by tiny claws on its abdomen. Large pincers snapped as the Crawdaunt narrowed its deep-socketed eyes. A star-shaped growth protruded from the top of its head.

The goggles atop May’s head started beeping again. With a flash of panic and hoping that the music was still loud enough to mask the noise, she yanked them down over her eyes. Just like with the Altaria earlier, a smoky black-purple aura floated around the Crawdaunt. Clearly, this was a Shadow Pokémon she had to snag.

“What’s with the goggles?” Galli asked, glaring across the room at her.

“They help me concentrate.” May shot back, throwing out her own Poké Ball. The Pokémon that appeared looked like a small, round-headed, rabbit-eared bear cub wearing a fuzzy dress. With a yawn and a sniff, Munchlax cast a blank look over its shoulder at its Trainer, scratching its head with a small paw. “Munchlax,” May said, kneeling down. “I need you to concentrate, okay?”

Munchlax affirmed with a bark-like “Munch!” and turned to face the Crawdaunt. Standing up, May noticed everyone else in the room casting bemused stares at her Pokémon.

“What the hell is that?” Galli half-shouted, pointed a finger at Munchlax, his face a mixture of fear and confusion.

“Er,” May stared down at Munchlax, who seemed ignorant of the attention it was gaining. She didn’t think it would have been a bad idea to use her Munchlax, but it seemed to be a Pokémon that wasn’t found commonly in Orre. “This is Munchlax,” she stated lamely, gesturing redundantly with her hand. “It evolves into Snorlax.”

“Snorlax doesn’t evolve from anything,” declared Galli, his hands balled into fists. “Who the hell d'you think you are? Crawdaunt, smash that thing!”

I don’t have a good answer to that. May thought, ordering Munchlax to move away as the Crawdaunt lunged forward, pincers open. Munchlax slid sideways with uneasy grace, and the Crawdaunt missed its Vice Grip attack. “Alright, now Body Slam it!”

Munchlax threw all of its weight towards the Rouge Pokémon, which jumped back towards its Trainer. Munchlax thudded to the floor, shaking the room almost as much as the subwoofers still blaring in the background.

I’m at a disadvantage in speed. May told herself, eyeing the Shadow Crawdaunt as Munchlax heaved itself back up to a standing position. If I try to attack it directly, I’ll keep missing… The best thing she could do would be drawing in Crawdaunt towards Munchlax, taking a hit, and striking back. At this, the image of her Venusaur reacting to the Shadow Altaria’s attack popped into her head.

Okay… that happened because it used a move called Shadow Rush… what if that attack is super-effective against any type? As a Shadow Pokémon, the Crawdaunt probably had the same move. If Galli decided to use it, May hoped that Munchlax would be able to withstand the impact.

“Crawdaunt, grab that thing again!” Galli ordered, and it obeyed, rushing forward with its claws stretched open.

Munchlax wouldn’t be unable to evade in time, so May said, “Just give it one arm!” Munchlax threw its right arm back so the Crawdaunt’s left claw missed, but the lobster-like Pokémon already had Munchlax’s left arm in its grasp.

“Gotcha now!” Galli shouted, a manic gleam in his eyes. “Shadow Hold!”

Black light drifted like smoke from inside Crawdaunt’s claw. Snaking its way around Munchlax’s body, it floated down to the floor and covered its feet. It looked as though Munchlax was standing on a storm cloud.

“You won’t be able to get away from this one, girlie. Crabhammer!”

Crawdaunt raised its right claw above its head, its beady eyes flushed with aggression. A focused stream of water spiraled around the claw, and it swung straight down towards Munchlax’s head—

“Brick Break!” cried May.

The arm Munchlax had thrown back suddenly glowed with power, and with a swift, horizontal chop, smashed into Crawdaunt’s side with such force that its grip slackened and it flew into the wall, throwing up dust and drywall.

“You alright, Munchlax?” asked May, as her Pokémon waved its left arm up and down in pain. The Big Eater Pokémon turned its head and smiled, which May returned: she knew it would be able to withstand some punishment.

A harsh, wet gurgle caught her attention, and May whipped around to see the Shadow Crawdaunt emerging from the wall. The aura around it was becoming fiercer, more violent. The goggles beeped again, and two small words appeared on the lenses: “Reverse Mode”.

But there was no time to wonder what Reverse Mode was: both of Crawdaunt’s claws were open, and yellow-orange balls of energy were forming inside, growing larger with every second. May’s heart skipped a beat: she recognized what attack Crawdaunt was now charging up.

Hyper Beam.

She turned back to Munchlax, her mouth dry. “Munchlax — Metronome! Quickly!” It was a desperate gamble, but Munchlax had no other moves in its repertoire that could defend against a Hyper Beam. May usually had good luck with Metronome in Contests… it was time to see what it could do in a battle.

Munchlax began to wave its forefingers back and forth. Its large, round eyes now took the shape of plus signs. May glanced at the Crawdaunt: the orbs within its claws were almost to the proper size… Munchlax’s fingers weren’t glowing yet… the orbs were getting larger every second, yet her Pokémon’s finger-wagging appeared to be slowing down…

With a triumphant “Ha!” from Galli, two bursts of pure energy launched from Crawdaunt’s pincers. The men sitting on the couches made their first physical movements, leaping away as the Hyper Beam blasted through the furniture, streaking across the room towards Munchlax. Manya, standing behind Munchlax, screamed and dashed out of the room. May’s mouth fell open… she wanted to yell… Munchlax hadn’t finished—

And then it happened. Munchlax’s eyes snapped wide open, its forefingers glowing brightly. With a proud cry, it spread its arms wide and a shining, translucent barrier appeared around it. The Hyper Beam collided with the Protect, causing a loud, sharp scraping noise to overtake the music. The attack splintered away, smaller beams firing off at angles, some even going straight up and breaking open a hole in the ceiling.

Crawdaunt’s Hyper Beam faded, and the Shadow Pokémon stumbled. The attack had cost it so much stamina that it now had to rest. Munchlax’s Protect disappeared, and seeing her Pokémon bathed in sunlight from the hole above granted May a flash of inspiration. Not bothering to stop the smile spreading across her face, she said, “Start charging up a Solar Beam!”

Munchlax opened its mouth wide and began taking in sunlight. A miniature sun started to form in the space between its jaws. Sunbeams traveled from the hole in the ceiling towards the expanding sphere in Munchlax’s mouth. Then, it stopped expanding, and Munchlax leaned forward and fired.

The blinding, white-hot discharge of sunlight collided with Crawdaunt dead-on, and the Rouge Pokémon let out another gurgle. The Solar Beam lifted it off the ground, slamming it into the wall again, just above the mark it had left earlier. The attack finished (Munchlax falling forward, having leaned in too much), and Crawdaunt collapsed onto the floor, defeated.

As Galli let out a strangled noise of disbelief, May prepared a Poké Ball with the Snag Machine. The Poké Ball flashed gold, having finished converting into a Snag Ball, and May heaved it at the Crawdaunt. It enveloped the giant lobster and snapped shut, landing on the floor.

“What the hell?!” screeched Galli, as the Poké Ball waggled thrice and became still with a click. He rounded on May, his reddened face displaying nothing but mingled fury and rage. “What the hell did you just do?!”

“Snagged your Crawdaunt,” May replied, rushing forward to snatch up the Poké Ball. Unlike the Grunt earlier, May had a feeling Galli wasn’t going to run away scared: on the contrary, he looked like he was about to strangle her.

Indeed, Galli took a step forward, his hands stretched out in front of him. May started to turn away (recalling Munchlax as she moved) when the double steel doors slammed open and Manya came running in, a sun-shaped mass of rock floating beside her. A duffel bag was clutched in a gloved hand and she was wearing her top hat again.

“Solrock,” she said to her Pokémon. “Hold back Galli!”

Solrock’s eyes gleamed blue, and Galli’s entire body was outlined with light. He was lifted off the floor, suspended in midair by the Solrock’s psychic abilities. He turned his gaze towards his sister, his eyes popping out of his head.

“WHAT THE HELL?!” He screamed again, his limbs flailing wildly in an attempt to break free. “You traitor! Betraying me like this! Me! An Admin of Abyss —”

“Betraying you implies I was on your side in the first place,” snapped Manya, glaring at her brother with extreme dislike. “You treated me like crap for my entire life, and I’m done with it. I’m leaving, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

Galli started mixing in swears with his screaming, which Manya ignored as she turned towards May. “Let me come with you,” she said. “I have a ride out back we can use. We’ll have to be quick, once I release him —” She nodded towards Galli, still struggling in vain to regain movement against Solrock’s Psychic. “— He’ll have security after us.”

While May didn’t know Manya that well, she didn’t have much of a choice (she was starting to notice this was becoming a recurring theme), so she nodded. “After you,” She said, slipping Crawdaunt’s Poké Ball into her bag.

Manya’s Solrock released its Psychic, dropping Galli to the ground, and the two girls broke into a run. As they dashed out of the room, they heard Galli shouting orders to his compatriots. Manya took the lead down a flight of stairs opposite the hallway they had come up earlier. Solrock floated over May’s head to hover near its Trainer.

“This way!” Manya said over her shoulder, pointing at another set of double steel doors. Judging from the amount of noise from their left, May guessed they were in an area behind the stage. She followed her new friend through the doors, which led to outside behind the casino. A dumpster sat against the building, flattened cardboard boxes lying in front of it.

Manya was climbing on what looked to be a wheel-less motorbike with a cargo bed attached behind the seat. She dropped her bag and hat onto the bed, gesturing for May to hop on.

“What is this?” May asked as she clambered on.

“My pride and joy,” Manya replied, fussing with the ignition. “I build things in my spare time… C'mon, baby…” She urged, glancing over her shoulder back at the double doors. The engine roared to life, exhaust spewing out from the back just as the doors slammed open again and large, muscled bouncers stepped out onto the dirt.

“Hold on tight!” Manya yelled over the engine’s rumbling, and gunned the throttle. The bike sped off, sending May toppling backwards. The bouncers started running after them, but couldn’t keep up with the bike’s speed and began to shrink, gradually disappearing over the horizon.

May heaved herself up, feeling weary and drained as the adrenaline began to wear off. It seemed hard to believe that she had left Hoenn only a few hours ago, yet here she was, escaping from a casino with a gearhead magician girl on a custom machine through the desert.

“We’ll have to get acquainted some more once we stop,” Manya quipped, speaking loudly to be heard over the churning engine and rushing wind.

“That we do,” May admitted, turning to lay flat on her back. Bending her knees to fit comfortably in the cargo bed, she stared up at the clear blue sky. She lifted the goggles off her eyes, wondering how many more surprises she was going to have to endure until this whole adventure was over.

To be continued…

Thoughts and comments are, as always, appreciated.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom