• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinion on m21 animation

I think the problem people have with Ash turning "ugly" is that he looks different from the normal depictions of him, just because they want to have a certain art style to fit the theme of the movie.

I think it is very good and the trailers showed off what the producers have done to improve the animation. It is miles better than the Sun and Moon animation and with this new M21 animation I think it shows the depth and realisation of the story even without the words, which is a really powerful and clever thing to show. The emotions are much better and the aesthetics look really well done. I really enjoyed the aesthetics and emotions, especially in the Eevee scenes. They have spent time on this and I hope the story is good. The animation especially from the trailer yesterday, really impressed me.

I think people are always going to be upset over Ash's transformations because it is not the Ash we have got used to for 19 seasons. But I think with this new image, he can show more emotion and flexibility and in my opinion, I don't think he looks girly, it looks more grown up and I like that. People don't like change, it's built in us psychologically, but I am certainly looking forward to this change because perhaps they need Ash to be like this for it to fit into the movie. You cannot have Season 1-19 Ash fit into M21 - it doesn't work with the new aesthetics.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with making a character look girly :p

I think the last movie that I watched from the beginning to end was the Keldeo one
"I wanna be a sword of justice!!!!!" Keldeo says 5 million times. It was so cringey for me!! haha

The animation itself looks mediocre at best. As much as I didn't like M20 it was miles ahead in terms of animation, even with the more stiff style, and don't make me bring SM up, which while having a TV production schedule and budget manages to have the closer film-look of all (on its highs, on it's lows it's easy to tell it's a TV production, despite looking better than all previous series).

If we are talking about the art style, well, the human characters and the pokémon still look from different universes, the awkwardly square eyes still look awkward and unappealing and the volume of the characters is all over the place.

The male characters & Hisui look like they could fit in the SM style with no problem.
The female characters & Ash look very strange as their eyes are too round and the position of their mouth is unnatural. It takes a while to get used to them.
The Pokemon look pretty much like their anime counterparts, they didn't risk anything on that aspect. Pikachu looks better than in SM through.
The backgrounds are ok. They aren't a masterpiece, and I'd rather visit the cities from other movies, but they look cool.
I'm mixed on the animation. The pros are that CG is blended very naturally, but the cons are that there doesn't seem to be a high number of frames so many movements look awckward, specially speaking.

The backgrounds have a "filter" of sorts that makes the enviroment look pretty distinctive. The problem is, it seems to be applied to the entire background with no different layers of depth, so everything looks kinda flat.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom