• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Opinion on the Pokemon Anime

Your opinion on the anime

• Overrated

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Justed right

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Underrated

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

Haruka_Rules!

Long live Haruka (May)!
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm curious as to what you think about the Pokemon anime, including the movies.

So do you think the anime is: overrated, underrated, or just right? Why?

On these forums? Overrated.

Funny how at this moment every option has 1 vote :p

Heh, I think that this question is quite interesting. I'm not sure what to say to it, lol.

The thing is, the majority of the fandom are incredibly aware of the massive flaws the pokemon anime has. If it were any "normal" anime, it probably be given terrible ratings. But the thing is, regardless of how bad it gets, the forum-goers keep coming back for more and enjoy it to some extent. It's a pretty masochistic fandom if you ask me.

So I really don't know. Is it over rated when even its fans call it out for its flaws? (like, would any of you recommend pokemon to any of your friends who never watched it?) But they still enjoy it...for different reasons? *shrugs*

I'd say Just Right for me. I like it but go ages without ever seeing it at a time. I do enjoy it when I watch it though. Good, overall balance of comedy, a bit of action, and lovable characters (namely the Pokemon) that makes me want to see it again.

"Pokémon" as an anime is just fine. It's not perfect, but it is what it is, and it entertains me.

It's just the fans that are fucked up.

I don’t think I can vote on this poll because I have conflicting opinions on certain sagas. Some seasons/episodes were overrated, just right, underrated or not sure. Overall, I would say that putting all of the season together I would rate it as a whole somewhere in-between just right and underrated. This is because so many things were introduced into the series and just thrown away (Pidgeot, that Forrest guy from All in a Day’s Wurmple, Brock’s character actually doing something, etc.).

Though the DP series has been pretty good, but I really don’t care for how the GF and Sinnoh League seem to be rushed for the next series. I feel very blessed to be able to have watched the series from the very beginning when it first came out. It’s had its ups and downs, I just hope that every season is not the same old story.

I'd say its just right. The animation and art has improved alot, but I think the story isn't as good as when the series first started, but I still like it.

On these forums? Overrated.
It's just the fans that are fucked up.

these

In my opinion, it's pretty boring. I only really like the first season which was more camp, had some good humor, felt like a variety show (at least where the same characters are put into all these random, ridiculous scenarios that seem to have little connection with one another), and was less about....Pokemon. I watch the movies every year and I like most of them; I also watch important episodes like the current Sinnoh league ones.

Not sure. I enjoy the Pokémon anime at the moment, but it could be so much better. I still think the anime have improved a lot in many ways from the begin and maybe sometime in the future I can say Pokémon is a good show. The biggest problem for me are fillers. I like them, but there's just too many of them between the real storyline action, unlike in Indigo League or in Battle Frontier arc, where the pace was faster. DP improved fillers however compared to AG serie, for an example I love Pokémon Summer Academy-arc a lot and I'd like to see more that kind of fillers in the future.

It's just right for me, writing and animation improved, giving us generally better quality of the show also making it more enjoyable to watch with better developed plot. Overall yeah, just right.

Overated? Even people who like the show don't hesitate to take pot-shots at it.

I can name several shows worse than pokemon, so it's by no means the worst thing to grace television. As it stands, it's merely ok for what it is, which certain flashes of greatness every once in a while, but that's it.

I can say it`s great and I`m enjoying it. It`s not the world`s best anime in history, but certainly if you compare it to others "Let`s train some monsters"-anime it is certainly one of the best ones, and you can see that many others are thinking that too, looking at the quite great ratings it has got in Japan.
Comparing to the old and newer sagas, I must say that I`ve enjoyed Sinnoh-saga the most. While Kanto had some good humor going on, it`s serious plot moments were quite boring, especially the gym battles, since Ash did actually battle over them in really rare cases. Also, it had quite many [ridilicous] fillers, comparing to the newer ones, although I`m not saying that I hated them.
Also, I think that Ash`s caharacter is now much better, in Kanto Ash was just super stupid :,D Misty was too redhead comparing to the newer episodes she visited, and well, she was too depend on Ash as a caharacter. Also, she didn`t have any serious goal.

I mean, I`m not saying that I hate Kanto or Misty. I guess I can`t express it that well...
I mean, now when I`m watching Kanto, I notice that I don`t enjoy it that much as a kid.
It`s not worst of the worst but it`s still boring compared to DP.

Don`t be mad at me, I just guess I can`t say it right without being blamed as "Kanto and Misty-hater" :/ That`s not what I mean...

It has its moments, but for the most part I think it's overrated. Guess it's cause I'm too 'old' for the anime.

The Pokémon anime is great for what it is: an advertisement for children. It's still fun and entertaining to watch; it's the fans that are bad.

Pokémon isn't a teenage anime, and people have to realize that. Once they do, they will either enjoy it more because they don't have outrageous exceptions or they won't watch it anymore because it's not for them. And that's okay.

Besides, I often feel embarrassed about full program ads for some reason, but Pokémon doesn't give me that feeling.

I guess that means it's well written in that regard.

I don't think it's overrated or underrated.

However it is a cartoon that isn't perfect though it does what it's best at. It entertains.

The thing with Pokemon is if it was bad it wouldn't have lasted for 10 plus years. There's definately something it's doing right for people to keep watching even now.

I like it personally. I wouldn't have all the DVD's if I didn't like it.
It's just right. Unfortunately I accidently voted Not sure for some reason.XP

Last edited:
The Pokemon anime is just right. I don't watch it as often as I used to, but I still love it.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom